Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alaska cruise via Norwegian cruise lines

Blitzkrieg

GCF VIP Member
Fanatics Cash
Mrs B, our son, DIL and myself just got back from Alaska a couple of weeks ago. Man what a trip, you can watch a thousand shows about Alaska and marvel at the beauty but nothing can compare to seeing it in person. The scope and depth of the landscape is amazing.

We got up Sunday (Sept 18th) at 5 in the morning and headed to Charlotte to catch our flight at 09:35 for Seattle. The 5.5 hour flight was non-stop and uneventful. We we're picked up at the Seattle Airport and delivered to the Norwegian ship Encore.

Over the course of the next week we visited Juneau, Icy Straight Point, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan, Alaska. On Saturday the 24th we visited Victoria, British Columbia. This was a great trip but exhausting. Mrs B wore her fit bit and we averaged nearly 6 miles a day walking around. On the day we left (the 25th) we logged 9.41 miles walking around Seattle.

THE GOOD: The ship was outstanding. Plenty to do, amazing crew, and great food. Visiting the stops was great, a little cool (highs around 55-58) which wasn't terrible but we had just left 90 degree weather. We were prepared for it as our travel agent had told us to take some warm clothes.

The shore excursions were plentiful and quite entertaining but expensive. We opted for the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show and an airlift gondola ride to the top of a mountain. Did l mention that all of these excursions were expensive?

We walked around Juneau, Victoria and Seattle and did our own thing. On board the ship there were numerous things to do. We attended 2 comedy shows, 1 musical and played numerous games and participated in numerous other activities from trivia contests to origami classes to sudoku contests to cooking classes to cupcake decorating to go cart racing and of course plenty of drinking where different music artists were playing at nearly every venue every night.

THE BAD: We had to be off of the ship by 9 a.m. Sunday the 25th. The problem with that was that our flight out wasn't until 11:47 p.m. We then had to fly to Chicago where we then had a 3 hour layover. We had maybe 5 - 6 hours sleep combined Saturday and Sunday. There just wasn't time to take in everything during the cruise.

THE UGLY: The lead up to air travel (the actual flights were fine) was a real pain in the ass. Long lines, going through TSA checkpoints, taking off shoes and belts, jumping through this hoop and that hoop. Pulling out passports at this place, ID cards at others. Not much rhyme and reason to any of it. Mrs B went through the Charlotte and Chicago TSA with no issues, at the Seattle airport the metal detector went off and she ended up getting quite the physical exam from the female TSA agent. (she has metal in her body in several places.)

I expected things to be expensive in Alaska and they were. Victoria and Seattle were also very expensive. I will post some pictures in the coming days.

The Alaska cruise in on our list of trips to take. My mom went on one about 10 years ago or so, and it sounded like a fantastic trip.

Was this your first cruise? I haven't sailed Norwegian, but the on-board entertainment sounded comparable to the Royal Caribbean cruise my wife and I took a few years ago.

Last edited:
The Alaska cruise in on our list of trips to take. My mom went on one about 10 years ago or so, and it sounded like a fantastic trip.

Was this your first cruise? I haven't sailed Norwegian, but the on-board entertainment sounded comparable to the Royal Caribbean cruise my wife and I took a few years ago.
This was our second cruise, we went to the Bahamas 3 years ago on Carnaval out of Port Canaveral, Fl. There wasn't that much of a difference in either ship. We opted for a room with a balcony this trip and it was well worth it.

Mrs B and I watch a lot of the Alaska shows (Life Below Zero, Alaska The Last Frontier, The Last Alaskans) and we went with high expectations and they were exceeded.

Attachments

• Alaska.jpg
    Alaska.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
That's on my list of things to do one day. Those are nice views. Did you see a lot of wildlife?

Those are some great pics. Balcony is definitely the way to go for scenic destinations like Alaska. I would have been eating breakfast out there every day as well as sippin on some bourbon in the afternoon.

That's on my list of things to do one day. Those are nice views. Did you see a lot of wildlife?
Yes, we seen an eagle, several whales and numerous seals. My son and DIL did a walking trail and seen a bear. It was somewhat humorous but spot on. At the beginning of the trail there was a 4' X 8' sign on a piece of plywood that implored hikers to:

Walk in groups of 8 - 10 people.

Do not walk the trail alone.

If the group encounters a bear do not make eye contact, stay close together and slowly back away.

Do not run from a bear!

Those are some great pics. Balcony is definitely the way to go for scenic destinations like Alaska. I would have been eating breakfast out there every day as well as sippin on some bourbon in the afternoon.
Yeah we did a lot of that except with beer and mojitos. It was weird as sometimes we'd sit on the balcony for an hour or more about a half mile or so off of the shoreline.

We'd never see the first building, power lines, or lights of any kind. Just miles and miles of trees and mountains.

Chinatown in Seattle. Ate lunch at an authentic Chinese restaurant cooked by 2 old Chinese ladies. Not your typical General Tso or Orange Chicken meal.

Attachments

• Seattle.jpg
    Seattle.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Not a great shot here but many of the power poles in Chinatown have dragons on them. I think I have a better shot somewhere.

Attachments

• Seattle1.jpg
    Seattle1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nice trip and pics!

I drove to CAN from Montana. Got to the border real early so I'd beat the crowds.
I was the only car in site for miles. CAN border guy had to wake up to check me through. :rolleyes:

Driving in Canada: Barely have road signs. Most signs are English/French. Speed limits in Km/hr. Buy gas in liters and have to estimate before pumping.

Last edited:
U rode the Link up from SEATAC?
We had a lot of time to kill so we got a ticket on the "hop on/hop off" bus route. There were 21 different places you could visit. We walked from Pike's Place Market from the dock and caught the bus there.