Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chinese spy balloon floating over US

I remember about 10 years ago reading about us having a balloon-based early warning system as maybe a companion for the Patriot system. It supposedly had the sensors on it to overcome the line of sight issues of radar, since the Earth is indeed round and radar is line of sight.

I believe the project got shelved.

Maybe put enough holes in the Chinese balloon to force it to land and then see what goodies it is carrying.

Other than this being lower altitude. Anything this can do that couldn’t be done with a spy satellite?

Other than this being lower altitude. Anything this can do that couldn’t be done with a spy satellite?
It must have some application the differentiates it from satellite or it would not be in use. Not sure what that may be. I must admit I am not very informed on them.

Shooting it down seems to be the obvious choice. But that thing is going to crash land somewhere and looks pretty substantial. Wonder if there is a way for the air force to intercept it mid-air?

Wait until the jet stream pushes it over the Atlantic and then shoot it down? I dunno...

Last edited:
Cheaper per location you want to recon (one sat can cover many locations you want without plan and consideration for other priority locations, also it is like moving a large boat). Same point about price if we decided to destroy the sat versus destroying a balloon.
Can provide persistant surveillance on a point or area box (sats can as well if they geo sync, otherwise the sat will only give you images during the time it orbits that area. How much effort does it take to move that orbit to cover specific areas?)
Much easier to equip and switch capabilities for your balloon versus sat (I am thinking thermal information, sub-strotosphere metrics that may measure our air compositions and its changes, etc.)

Just spitballing.

Ok....which fighter pilot gets the Chinese ballon painted on his jet?

Do0xyMVVAAAmLhr.jpg