Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks Add Another Player From The Transfer Portal

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Gamecocks Add Another Player From The Transfer Portal
Feb. 02, 2023

Wednesday night, in a tweet highlighting newcomers from Georgia, the Gamecocks revealed former Georgia and Tennessee WR/DB Deangelo Gibbs (6-1 200) had joined the program.

Gibbs was a highly touted prospect in 2017 from Loganville, GA. He signed with Georgia as a safety over offers from USC, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Baylor, Tennessee, Kentucky, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and several others. He lasted two seasons in Athens with little playing time and packed up for Tennessee for the 2019 season where he was listed as a receiver.

He never played for the Vols. Gibbs sat out the 2019 season due to transfer rules, sat out the 2020 season to concentrate on his academics, and did not see the field in the 2021 season. He entered the Transfer Portal in May of 2022 and at some point, enrolled at South Carolina.

For his career, Gibbs has played in five games and recorded 10 tackles and no receptions. Gamecocks have not said which position he will play for them.

The Gamecocks now count 33 newcomers for 2023. Ten of the 33 are transfers from another program.

I saw this story over on Gamecock Central and had been wondering why Gibbs wasn't showing up on the 247 transfer portal list of incoming players. I was starting to wonder whether there might be some crossed wires somewhere, some explanation of why he wasn't showing up anywhere, but then I found out that he's actually walking on. With a bit of luck, he'll find his stride somewhere on the squad (special teams, anyone?), get on scholarship, then ball out to his potential. As I understand, when he was recruited out of high school, he was considered a five-star.

Fingers crossed that this works out like it potentially could....