Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks Get Another Gem For 2024 Class With the Addition Of 4-Star LB Wendell Gregory

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Gamecocks Get Another Gem For 2024 Class With the Addition Of 4-Star LB Wendell Gregory
Jan. 27, 2023

1674856255061.pngThe hot recruiting start for Shane Beamer and the Gamecocks for the 2024 recruiting season continued Friday afternoon with a public commitment on social media from LB Wendell Gregory (6-4 220) of Marietta, GA. Gregory, whose birthday was Friday, was a heavily recruited prospect whose offers included Tennessee, Southern Cal, Auburn, North Carolina, Missouri, Nebraska, Pitt, Michigan, Michigan State, West Virginia, NC State, and Mississippi State.

Gregory eventually narrowed his list to a final five of South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn, North Carolina, and Missouri. He made numerous visits to USC throughout the recruiting process including the junior day on January 21st.

“Every time I went, it just got better and better,” Gregory said. “Every time I went, talked to more players, interacted with more coaches, got to know everybody in the facility, it just felt like home every time I went there. You know, that’s originally where I’m from (Greenville), so it felt like home every time I went there.”

Over his last two seasons, Gregory has totaled 86 tackles with 11 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, and two interceptions. From his conversations with USC defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Clayton White, Gregory expects to be used as a two-dimensional player on the defense.

“I talked to coach about it,” Gregory said. “Third down, I’m on the line rushing, getting on the quarterback. First and second down, I’m in coverage.”

Gregory is the Gamecocks’ fourth commitment for their 2024 class and the first on defense. He’s excited about the group that’s being put together.

“I’ve seen these past couple of guys in my class who committed recently, and it’s insane,” Gregory said. “Couple of four stars definitely committed in my grade. I’ll say South Carolina should be a powerhouse in the class of 2024 for sure.”

Gregory joins QB Dante Reno, TE Michael Smith, and OT Kam Pringle as the early commitments for the USC 2024 class.

Showing you know how to coach the guys in real games is the companion improvement to the program as well.

Do that with the 2023 class next season and the 2024 class fills out pretty good on its own.