Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In your own words size up South Carolina's win over Clemson

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
What is your reflection on this historic finish for the Gamecocks for the season and for today's win?

This is a monumental win. Going into Memorial Stadium against a 10 and 1 team and winning is one for the ages. We had a pick six, a safety and an interception in their end zone. That's either twelve or sixteen points we gave them. This one was really special.

Shane Beamer is bringing Carolina fans what they've been waiting for all their lives. Expected to win three games last season, he took us to SEVEN with the bowl victory. Expected to win four or five this season, he's already delivered EIGHT, with a big juicy bowl upcoming. And the proverbial Next Year? Just wait and see.

Beamer is a success story, and now, so are the Gamecocks.

It's spiritually cathartic. I had some family over during the game - our family is so big that Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays can last over weekends and even week long. At Thanksgiving, I have Thanksgiving meals starting Thursday through the weekend, and they aren't left-over food but actual freshly cooked meals. Then I enjoy the left-overs throughout the next week. So I can definitely identify with how people are said to gain so much weight during the holidays.....

Anyhow, I started watching the game at the start. Saw where Darius Rush I believe had a gifted pick-six interception go right through his hands, then watched Clemson pick-six Rattler to go on top 7-0, then have the big 50-yd run by Shipley their next possession and go up 14-0 pretty quickly, and I had to turn away from the game. It was looking like too much of the beginnings of what I had hoped would NOT happen.

I go visit with family and then come back later, and it's 3rd quarter and Clemson leads 30-21 and had just scored to get to 30 pts just before I returned. So the Gamecocks had out-scored Clemson 21-9 since I left, and it was now a game. I questioned whether I should start watching then or if I would jinx the team when it was doing well while I was NOT watching, but right then the Gamecocks scored on a 72-yd pass to Juice Wells in less than a minute to go back to within 2 pts, 30-28 Clemson, so I had to sit and watch for the duration.

We gutted it out bigtime in the 4th quarter, scoring the only points in that quarter by either team off of a field goal to go up by 1 point, and then withstanding Clemson's supposedly explosive offense to pull out the win. Their QB who's name is un-spellable reminds me an awful lot of Taj Boyd, a guy with talent but who just did not have "it" to be a highly successful college QB, and who was mistake-prone. Glad that Clemson will have him for one more season, to give us a chance to play him in Williams-Brice and see if we can get a two-piece off of him....

Great win, but not emotional for me because it means we're back to the standard Spurrier set and we should have maintained since 2013.

My thoughts……..

I abandoned my team when they were in the depths of despair. The overall attitude of never quiting and believing in themselves is the lesson here. I wrongly placed them in the box of former failures, I was wrong because of emotion and my own sense of impending doom. Knowing how to “win” is something that has been very illusive for the past……century. I was wrong…….they, the team, was right. They believed in themselves and they overcame.

Now the responsibility of keeping this ship turned in the direction it’s heading, is on the coach, his staff, and the senior leadership amongst the players. I place this on them. They have earned the right to demand my loyalty and faith. I demand from them the follow thru that comes with the responsibility of being a prominent powerhouse we all hope they will be.

I was wrong!

They we’re right, and should enjoy their moment of celebration. The opportunity is here to show everyone, including myself, that they are a cohesive unit who believes in themselves. You have my loyalty!

Just win baby!

It means I don’t know crap about football and need to leave that to the coaches…great win! I was also excited to see Rattlers excitement when he chucked the ball up at end of game! It appears he bought into the rivalry which I was worried about with him being from southwest…

We just finished 8-4 and 3rd in the SEC east. Beat two top 10 teams in a row.

Teams under the previous coach would have folded after that Florida loss. This team does not quit. Nice to see for a change.

A wake up call to some fans... Classic, one for the ages! Crossroads game, we teeter on greatness as inside and outside influences try to blow it up. Hope we look back at this game and it is the beginning... In a game of inches things don't always go your way but if you let the disappointments fester and build up, dominoe into the next play, the next game as fans, coaches and players they become toxic!
Thus game was a show of heart and determination, the sure will to win and never give up attitude was fun to watch! The GAMECOCKS never flinched no matter how many times they were on the ropes they came out swinging and answered, Rattler looked shook and you could see the coaches and every player tell him we got your back on the sidelines after the end zone pic, that was special. Adkins catches on 3rd down were legendary and should be talked about for a long time. The secondary was spectacular and the defense answered when it had to, making plays and playing physical! Special teams was special again, once again answering the call when needed. Brown giving us the huge return in relief of Vann and producing turnovers when we needed them the most!
I think this is a special young group of coaches that you need to keep together as long as possible, if our fans will grow with them as we continue through the ups and downs we will not regret it!

Shane Beamer is bringing Carolina fans what they've been waiting for all their lives. Expected to win three games last season, he took us to SEVEN with the bowl victory. Expected to win four or five this season, he's already delivered EIGHT, with a big juicy bowl upcoming. And the proverbial Next Year? Just wait and see.

Beamer is a success story, and now, so are the Gamecocks.
Exactly! Nobody expected much of us this year. Criticize coaches all you want, but, they've defied expectations both years!

This is the standard we need to play to going forward and UGA is the next one on the checklist.

Florida right behind UGA.

I think we're still a couple of recruiting cycles behind competing with GA, in my opinion. For me, I'd like for us to beat all of the other East teams next year and A&M (not sure who our other West opponent will be). I'll take beating GA, but I'd really like us to step up as GA's primary competition for the East next year. It would help, if we could establish home dominance, and beat all of the away teams we are favored to beat. We need to take that next step.