Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WR Mazeo Bennett Announces Commitment To Gamecocks

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
WR Mazeo Bennett Announces Commitment To Gamecocks
Feb. 03, 2023

1675460620037.pngGamecocks land second major in-state commitment for the 2024 class Thursday when Greenville High WR Mazeo Bennett (6-0 165) announced his commitment to the Gamecocks. Bennett, a one-time Tennessee commitment, visited South Carolina last Saturday and that visit sealed the deal for him to join the Gamecocks.

“I think he had a great time. It was really a positive experience,” Greenville coach Greg Porter said this week “I think Shane Beamer and his coaching staff have done a tremendous job in recruiting him. I think they have been very consistent, especially after he de-committed from the Tennessee situation. I think they just showed the young man what love is all about and what family is about. I think that is what he’s looking for, something that’s going to remind him of his family and where it feels like home to him. This past weekend was a really, strong positive thing for them.”

Bennett visited Alabama for a junior day on January 7th. His other stops during the recruiting process included Clemson, Georgia, West Virginia, Miami, Louisville, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, and Tennessee. After his de-commitment from the Vols, Bennett named a short list of South Carolina, Oregon, Florida State, Georgia, Tennessee, Miami, North Carolina, and Alabama.

South Carolina jumped on Bennett early in the recruiting process. Beamer and receivers coach Justin Stepp saw enough from him last season to make him a primary target for their ’24 class. The Gamecocks became his first Power Five offer when he visited Troy in 2021.

“They know how to recruit. Coach Stepp makes you feel like a part of his family. Everything he says is genuine and true,” Bennett said last summer. “When you go down there, you interact with everybody there. Everybody is upbeat. Everybody is happy to be where they are at. Everybody is happy to work there. Everybody is happy to be under Coach Beamer. It’s just love. Everybody wants you to be there. Everybody wants you to stay home. That’s their biggest thing with me is stay home, you don’t have to go out of the state, you can just stay home.”

Last season Bennett had 1700 all-purpose yards and scored 23 touchdowns. He caught 47 passes for 857 yards and 14 touchdowns. As a sophomore, he caught 25 passes for 661 yards, an average of 26.4 yards per catch. He also caught six touchdown passes and accumulated 1,024 all-purpose yards.

Bennett joins OT Kam Pringle as a 2024 in-state commitment for the Gamecocks, and their fifth overall for the class.