Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 - 2 -1 - Pork Ribs - Johnny Triggs Style

dreammachine

Fanatics Cash
I know that there are a lot of folks on this website that love great tasting ribs like I do.  I do the "3-2-1 - Johnny Triggs Style" for my ribs and they have yet to disappoint me and everyone that has tasted them state that they love them.  Johnny Triggs - BBQ World Champion Pit Master and is on the Kingsford Charcoal BBQ Pit Masters - is known as the "Godfather of Ribs", which in the world of BBQ really means a lot.

3 hours on the smoker with rub. Take off and double wrap - add honey - brown sugar - squeeze butter and cook for 2 more hours.  Then take ribs out of foil and either finish them for 1 more hour either "wet or dry" according to your taste.  I usually do "one rack of ribs wet" and "one rack of ribs dry".

So, all you Gamecock Fanatics out there - how do you cook your pork ribs?

I don't usually cook St. Louis ribs, but instead do baby backs. I can tell ya right now that 3-2-1 is not a good method for those. I used to just do 3ish hours on the smoker, no foil. The time varies, because I always check for doneness by twisting one of the bones. Anyways I tried 3-2-1 for them a few months ago, and I didn't even make it beyond the foil wrap stage before they were falling apart.

The next time I see St. Louis ribs on sale, I'll grab some and try it again.

Planning to smoke some ribs Sunday. Haven't done the 3-2-1. Generally I just do the dry rub and then on the smoker until they are done based on temperature. Ribs go a bit quicker then a shoulder so not sure what benefits the 3-2-1 provide. 

I don't usually cook St. Louis ribs, but instead do baby backs. I can tell ya right now that 3-2-1 is not a good method for those. I used to just do 3ish hours on the smoker, no foil. The time varies, because I always check for doneness by twisting one of the bones. Anyways I tried 3-2-1 for them a few months ago, and I didn't even make it beyond the foil wrap stage before they were falling apart.

The next time I see St. Louis ribs on sale, I'll grab some and try it again.
You might want to lower your cooking temp down some as all cookers/smokers/ceramic cookers - all to a certain degree have "hot spots" and my 250 degrees might be a tak to hot for your grill/smoker.  I do the St. Louis Style Ribs - as I think that they taste better, but have no problem doing the baby backs either.  With all the knowledge that is out there - I have personally found that it still makes my food taste better if I change a few things - albeit flavors/rubs/or cooking times to insure that I get the taste and temp that I desire to make my food taste great.

Planning to smoke some ribs Sunday. Haven't done the 3-2-1. Generally I just do the dry rub and then on the smoker until they are done based on temperature. Ribs go a bit quicker then a shoulder so not sure what benefits the 3-2-1 provide. 
Doing them "naked" for the first three hours gets you started towards the place where you want your ribs to be as far as doness.  The 2nd two hours gets you a wrapped, really juicy - with the honey, brown sugar, and squeeze butter.  After two hours you just take them out of the double tin-foil wrap and place them back on the grill and if you want them dry - don't add any sauce or if you like them a tad bit wet - then put some of your favorite BBQ Sauce on them.  I would check them a lot during the last hour to insure that you don't overcook them as all grills/smokers/ceramic grills are not created equal or you need to pay close attention to your temperature.  I have sometimes pulled my ribs at 30 to 45 minutes instead of the whole hour during the last segment.  They are darn good ribs.

Ribs from today after about 4.5 hrs in the smoker. Delicious [emoji39]

cd1670070ede7b425a280b279d98e590.jpg