Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Bath & Beyond files for bankruptcy

They always felt inventory heavy to me and that is not a problem until you don't meet projections and then it is a huge issue. I have not been in one for quite sometime until a couple of weeks ago and they had really scaled down how much they carry and the store looked much more organized. Makes you wonder if they had done this some time ago if they would be in trouble now.

They always felt inventory heavy to me and that is not a problem until you don't meet projections and then it is a huge issue. I have not been in one for quite sometime until a couple of weeks ago and they had really scaled down how much they carry and the store looked much more organized. Makes you wonder if they had done this some time ago if they would be in trouble now.
I think they would still be in trouble. They failed to adapt to online commerce as well as being beat out in price by Wal-Mart/Target for brick & mortar.

I think it was stuff like this:

During the pandemic, the chain missed out on the historic home-goods shopping boom because it was in the middle of an overhaul that involved replacing big name brands with more profitable private brands. The strategy exacerbated the industry-wide supply chain crisis, leaving top products like KitchenAid mixers missing from Bed Bath's shelves.

Then this:

Last year, its shares rose and crashed as a meme stock on the news that activist investor Ryan Cohen invested in the company. He shook up corporate leadership and then cashed out of his bet with a tidy profit.

Then came hundreds of store closures, sweeping layoffs and news of the shocking death of the company's financial chief. Suppliers hesitated about sending more stuff to Bed Bath & Beyond, worried they wouldn't get paid.

I believe their longtime CFO also died suddenly during the pandemic, too. Guys like that can be like successful head coaches; no guarantee the next guy will be as successful.

I haven't been to one of their stores in several years, but it always seemed to me like to they had too many products on the shelves that didn't sell in high enough volumes to justify their existence.

Just too cluttered, like Longhaul said, plus bad decisions by senior management. I think they could get away with too many products for so long because they were made overseas and dirt cheap.

Yeah, but they were in trouble before the pandemic. To me, the biggest reason was the emergence and eventual domination by Amazon.

Yeah, but they were in trouble before the pandemic. To me, the biggest reason was the emergence and eventual domination by Amazon.
Amazon....why drive to BB&B if you can buy something sitting on your butt for lower prices. If you don't like, just drop it off and get refunded.

It's just too easy to click on Amazon and order what you want.

leo-decaprio-shoulder-shrug.gif

We’ve been hitting all the stores around that are closing bought all the curtains, curtain rods, sheets, blankets, bath towels etc for our new house, all at at least 40% off.