Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boiled Peanuts

cocky0

The cake is a lie
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
It's that time of year - probably the best thing about summer in the South. And since I received an Instant Pot for Father's Day, I decided to try cooking peanuts in it. I'm thoroughly impressed. What usually takes me a good 4 hours to cook the traditional way is done in about an hour and a half in the Instant Pot. 

And since they're cheap, and one of my favorite foods, I've probably eaten half a bushel by myself in this past week. I'll be cooking some more tomorrow. 

Tell me more. Love boiled peanuts but have never done them myself. Don;t have an instapot. But do have a turkey fryer which I guess would be more like the traditional way.

Tell me more. Love boiled peanuts but have never done them myself. Don;t have an instapot. But do have a turkey fryer which I guess would be more like the traditional way.
Yeah then all you should have to do is buy some green peanuts and put them in the pot with enough water to cover. Peanuts will float, so you kind of have to eyeball how much is needed. Then just add about half a cup of salt per gallon of water and boil for about four hours. Add more water as they cook since you'll lose some to evaporation. Then just taste test a few peanuts once you're close to being done. Drain then eat.

For those of you with an Instant Pot, here's a rough recipe I'm working with. Mine is an 8qt model, so you may have to adjust things to your model. Basically I rinse the peanuts before adding them to the pot. My local grocery store sells green peanuts in bags of about 3-4 lbs, and I'm able to fit the whole bag in the pot. I then add my salt and fill the water just to the Max PC line, seal, and set for high pressure at 1hr and 5 minutes. After it's done, I let it naturally release pressure (30 minutes or so) before draining and eating. I'm still trying to dial in the right amount of salt. 1/2 a cup for that whole batch seems to be too little. My wife did a batch with 3/4 cup, and they were very salty, but I think that's because they sat in the water for over an hour before I got home to drain them. So maybe 3/4 of a cup will work if I drain immediately or 1/2 a cup if I plan to let them sit for a while. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 50s and 60s daddy would cook boiled peanuts in our old exploding pressure cooker.  Today I use my Instant Pot. Quicker and better flavor.  It even does a great job with dried goobers in the dead of winter! 

I did not get an answer to my question so I did my own research. Apparently - and why you would do this, I have no idea - some people ROAST peanuts. In other words, dry them our so they are like charcoal peanuts.

Amazing!
Some people make them into a paste, kind of like butter. 

And this should go without saying.....

Do not boil dried peanuts unless there is no alternative. Boil them green - fresh out of the dirt.

I believe that the only reason that boiled peanuts are not consumed all over the world is that people have been fed peanuts that are dried and then boiled. Like the environmentalists say - Go Green!

Au contraire. You can boil dried peanuts. Treat them like dried beans and give them a good soak overnight in plenty of water.  A plate with a can of vegetables to weight them down so they stay submerged will help. The next day boil as normal. It'll still take a bit longer than green peanuts, but it works. 

I spent a year living in Kuwait, and dry peanuts were all I could get my hands on. 

5J6je7L.jpg

But if you cannot get your hands on green peanuts - and they are available just a few months every year - dried is better than not having boiled peanits.

Yeah you go spend time in a crazy place like Kuwait, and you learn to make do with whatever you can get your hands on. I even had to resort to doing ribs in the oven.

7p2XAIX.jpg

Yes that is pork. And yes pork is banned in Kuwait.  :playboy:

I need to find me some green peanuts. They arent sold widely, if at all around here. 

Actually need to find raw peanuts. Green probably impossible because they are fresh and we don't have those here. 

I found a local nut roaster who sold me raw peanuts and I used the Instapot to pressure cook 1 lb of raw peanuts. 

10 cups water

1/2 cup sea salt

1 lb raw peanuts in the shell

Set timer for 65 minutes. Also put a trivet inside to keep the peanuts submerged. 65 minutes in a pressure cooker is a LONG time. Once done, vented the InstaPot and let them sit for 30 minutes  in the pot before removing. Honestly I think they could have used more time in the InstaPot but my kids liked them so. They still had a bit of a crunch to them, not as mushy perhaps as I remember. 

I have another pound that I may experiment again with over the weekend. Maybe add a spice or something 

I found a local nut roaster who sold me raw peanuts and I used the Instapot to pressure cook 1 lb of raw peanuts. 

10 cups water

1/2 cup sea salt

1 lb raw peanuts in the shell

Set timer for 65 minutes. Also put a trivet inside to keep the peanuts submerged. 65 minutes in a pressure cooker is a LONG time. Once done, vented the InstaPot and let them sit for 30 minutes  in the pot before removing. Honestly I think they could have used more time in the InstaPot but my kids liked them so. They still had a bit of a crunch to them, not as mushy perhaps as I remember. 

I have another pound that I may experiment again with over the weekend. Maybe add a spice or something 
Try letting the pressure release naturally. In mine it takes about 30-45 minutes. Then let them sit for another 30 minutes or so to continue softening.