Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisket

dreammachine

Fanatics Cash
How many of you "Weekend Pit Masters" have cooked brisket and did it turn out like you wanted it???  I am still waiting to do my first one as it is just me and my bride and she eats like a bird and I would have to eat brisket for about a week.

So, how about some great brisket tales.

Flat is leaner.  Point is fattier and more tasty.  Deep season overnight.  Pickle it if you want corned beef (or just buy it that way).  Either way is great for a slow braise in a crockpot. Traditional Jewish comfort roast.  I have had good results making it into pastrami.   It is a tough piece of muscle.  It will be a low & slow cook.  Sous vide is a great option before/after smoking.  Mesquite is a traditional wood but can be overpowering.  I like to mix it with oak so that the meat can come though.

Love brisket but I'm not going to eff up a pricey cut of beef by attempting to smoke it myself. That's a recipe for disaster, my friends! Lol

Flat is leaner.  Point is fattier and more tasty.  Deep season overnight.  Pickle it if you want corned beef (or just buy it that way).  Either way is great for a slow braise in a crockpot. Traditional Jewish comfort roast.  I have had good results making it into pastrami.   It is a tough piece of muscle.  It will be a low & slow cook.  Sous vide is a great option before/after smoking.  Mesquite is a traditional wood but can be overpowering.  I like to mix it with oak so that the meat can come though.
Yancey, do you ever do "burnt ends" after cooking your brisket?

Burnt ends are the bomb!
I can't wait to try cooking both brisket and do the "burnt ends".  I am trying to figure out a date/holiday where I can have enough family or friends to come over and help me eat the brisket as it is just me and my bride now and I would be eating on a small brisket for several days by myself.  I also want to insure that I do it right and good as I have cooked and grilled a lot of pork/beef/poultry/fish - but still have not got my "brisket wings yet".  Hope to soon.

Love brisket but I'm not going to eff up a pricey cut of beef by attempting to smoke it myself. That's a recipe for disaster, my friends! Lol
I don't blame you for feeling that way as I have a friend who is a butcher and he "has butchered the first two he tried to grill"???  I don't know how many you have to feed, but with just me and my wife - it is a lot of meat to eat and it is as you say a "pricey cut of meat".  I felt the same way about "prime rib" when I first starting smoking/grilling it - as it can be up there with a "camel's butt" when it comes to price also.  I can smoke/grill some awesome prime rib now and I hope that I will be the same way when it comes to brisket.

I don't like commercial burnt ends.  They are just beef BBQ in sauce.  I prefer them dry rubbed with maybe a light glaze.  I do not do sweet meat.  I do an Irish corned beef brisket every few months.   I do Jewish brisket pot roasts every couple of months too.  Those are easy braises.  It is the Texas style brisket that y'all are talking about.  That can be finicky because you are dry cooking something tough that responds so well to long slow simmers.  The results can be well worth it however.  I tend to smoke, sous vide for 24-36 hours @ 145F to 155F depending on the marbling.  I have done 150F for 48 hours.  Then reseason and resmoke.  Finish on hot grill.  Longer & hotter cooks give you the pulled beef results mixed with sauce.  Not my thing.  If I want shedded beef I go full Cuban ropa vieja on it and serve it over rice.   In Texas I like the kinds of places that slap a few slices of brisket on wax paper and hand to you along with some bread.  That is how I like my smoke/SV/smoke/grill brisket to come out.

I don't like commercial burnt ends.  They are just beef BBQ in sauce.  I prefer them dry rubbed with maybe a light glaze.  I do not do sweet meat.  I do an Irish corned beef brisket every few months.   I do Jewish brisket pot roasts every couple of months too.  Those are easy braises.  It is the Texas style brisket that y'all are talking about.  That can be finicky because you are dry cooking something tough that responds so well to long slow simmers.  The results can be well worth it however.  I tend to smoke, sous vide for 24-36 hours @ 145F to 155F depending on the marbling.  I have done 150F for 48 hours.  Then reseason and resmoke.  Finish on hot grill.  Longer & hotter cooks give you the pulled beef results mixed with sauce.  Not my thing.  If I want shedded beef I go full Cuban ropa vieja on it and serve it over rice.   In Texas I like the kinds of places that slap a few slices of brisket on wax paper and hand to you along with some bread.  That is how I like my smoke/SV/smoke/grill brisket to come out.
Well said Yancey Man.  I saw a guy today on a cooking show "state that he could cook a brisket in 5 hours at high heat and it would be as good as anyone's"???  I have never smoked a brisket yet, but I have watched some very serious pit masters do it and they take a long time to do theirs "slow & low" according the size of the brisket.  I also realize that "Competition Pit Masters" do everything a whole lot different than anything the vast majority of "Backyard Pit Masters" would ever do, but I think that everyone would agree that you have to take your time with a brisket and cook it low and slow and then inject if you want too - as some Pit Masters do and then some don't???  Hard to figure that one out, unless it just happens to be where you come from in our great BBQ Nation???

What is a "Jewish Brisket Pot Roast"?  It sounds great!!!  How do you cook it?

I can't wait to try cooking both brisket and do the "burnt ends".  I am trying to figure out a date/holiday where I can have enough family or friends to come over and help me eat the brisket as it is just me and my bride now and I would be eating on a small brisket for several days by myself.  I also want to insure that I do it right and good as I have cooked and grilled a lot of pork/beef/poultry/fish - but still have not got my "brisket wings yet".  Hope to soon.
I did not hear you inviting yet. I am sure several of us could come over and help you eat it, lol

One of my local joints, 4 Rivers, is celebrating their 10 year anniversary with some double meat sammies for $10.  Check out th epic of the brisket.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/10/02/orlando-4-rivers-locations-celebrate-10-year-anniversary-with-a-giant-10-mega-meat-sandwiches

One of my local joints, 4 Rivers, is celebrating their 10 year anniversary with some double meat sammies for $10.  Check out th epic of the brisket.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/10/02/orlando-4-rivers-locations-celebrate-10-year-anniversary-with-a-giant-10-mega-meat-sandwiches
My goodness Yancey, with your knowledge of great food, you need to go into the restaurant business unless the competition is too thick down your way???  Good/great food will bring them in - every time - especially all of Dem Yankees that have moved to Florida!!!!

Where are all you "Outstanding Brisket Cookers At"????

I have got to hurry up and try to do one soon as this is about one of the few things I have not done yet.