Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check out this cute little trick that Dollar General pulled

Blitzkrieg

GCF VIP Member
Fanatics Cash
So...on September 14th Mrs B and I had a birthday party to go to and we needed to stop and get a birthday card. Mrs B suggested we stop at the Dollar General in Dixiana on Hwy 321 as it was on the way and she said that their cards were 3-4 dollars cheaper than most places. Sounds good.

So we stop and as she's picking out a card I'm walking around the store and I notice that they have canned dog food for a $1.15 a can that I usually get at Food Lion for $1.29 a can. We were running low so I got 5 cans. We checked out and I noticed that my receipt said that if I come back on September 21st (only good that day) and buy at least $25 pre tax of stuff that I would get $5 off of my order by presenting the receipt/coupon.

I got to thinking about it and decided to stop in there after I completed my bike ride Saturday (the 21st) as it was on my way home. I figured I'd buy 22 cans of dog food, 22 X $1.15 = $25.30 saving $3.08 off of the Food Lion price plus the 5 dollar coupon would save me a total of $8.08 + .35 in State tax for a grand total savings of $8.43 which is a nice little savings.

So I stop in and collect the 22 cans and go to the register and present my coupon and pay and leave. My grand total was $26.54, as I drove home I began thinking that that total seemed a little high for me having a $5 coupon.

I get home and take a close look at the receipt thinking maybe I miscounted the number of cans I bought and got 21 cans instead of 22. Nope, looking at the receipt it clearly showed 22 cans.....but....it listed 21 cans at $1.15 and then listed can # 22 at a "reduced" price of .65 which dropped my pretax total down to $24.80 which meant that my coupon didn't meet the required aforementioned $25 pre tax amount.

The clerk never mentioned anything about it nor did she give me the coupon back. She could have told me to go get another can and at either price I would have been over $25. I have since stopped in there 3 times to complain to the manager but all 3 times there was "no manager there" to talk to and the 3 kids working the counter could only give me the "deer in the headlights" look.

To me the money wasn't the issue, it's the principle of the thing, I detest it when companies do this kind of stuff. I got on their survey site and did the survey and in the comments section that allowed 1200 characters I used 1187 of them. That was 10 days ago and I haven't heard a thing since.

So...on September 14th Mrs B and I had a birthday party to go to and we needed to stop and get a birthday card. Mrs B suggested we stop at the Dollar General in Dixiana on Hwy 321 as it was on the way and she said that their cards were 3-4 dollars cheaper than most places. Sounds good.

So we stop and as she's picking out a card I'm walking around the store and I notice that they have canned dog food for a $1.15 a can that I usually get at Food Lion for $1.29 a can. We were running low so I got 5 cans. We checked out and I noticed that my receipt said that if I come back on September 21st (only good that day) and buy at least $25 pre tax of stuff that I would get $5 off of my order by presenting the receipt/coupon.

I got to thinking about it and decided to stop in there after I completed my bike ride Saturday (the 21st) as it was on my way home. I figured I'd buy 22 cans of dog food, 22 X $1.15 = $25.30 saving $3.08 off of the Food Lion price plus the 5 dollar coupon would save me a total of $8.08 + .35 in State tax for a grand total savings of $8.43 which is a nice little savings.

So I stop in and collect the 22 cans and go to the register and present my coupon and pay and leave. My grand total was $26.54, as I drove home I began thinking that that total seemed a little high for me having a $5 coupon.

I get home and take a close look at the receipt thinking maybe I miscounted the number of cans I bought and got 21 cans instead of 22. Nope, looking at the receipt it clearly showed 22 cans.....but....it listed 21 cans at $1.15 and then listed can # 22 at a "reduced" price of .65 which dropped my pretax total down to $24.80 which meant that my coupon didn't meet the required aforementioned $25 pre tax amount.

The clerk never mentioned anything about it nor did she give me the coupon back. She could have told me to go get another can and at either price I would have been over $25. I have since stopped in there 3 times to complain to the manager but all 3 times there was "no manager there" to talk to and the 3 kids working the counter could only give me the "deer in the headlights" look.

To me the money wasn't the issue, it's the principle of the thing, I detest it when companies do this kind of stuff. I got on their survey site and did the survey and in the comments section that allowed 1200 characters I used 1187 of them. That was 10 days ago and I haven't heard a thing since.
That's very sneaky. But I would bet the folks at the local store probably did not have any say in this. It's probably all done at the corporate level.

mr-deeds-very-sneaky-sir.gif

That's very sneaky. But I would bet the folks at the local store probably did not have any say in this. It's probably all done at the corporate level.
Your post prompted me to do a Google search and apparently DG has quite a history of shady dealings/practices.

Here's the receipt showing 21 cans of dog food at $1.15 a can and with no reasoning or explanation can # 22 is only .65 cents and they had the nerve to print on my receipt that I "saved" .50 cents on that can. lol

Attachments

• DG.jpeg
    DG.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 1
I only go to DGs for storage containers and towels. Never have really shopped for groceries in one. They are just so overcrowded with goods. I was a department manager in a retail store in a past life and I just can't stand cluttered goods on the shelves. Everything is always just so cramped and overstocked in those stores.

I doubt it's anything sinister. Probably just the employee keying stuff in wrong, but who knows?

On a humorous note, someone I work with tweaked his back pretty good carrying a bulk order from Chewy inside his house. He and his wife have several cats and dogs and the box weighed 115 lbs. on the label.

My sister usually goes to the PetSmart in the next town to buy food for her elderly Cocker spaniel.