Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffee

carolina_corpsman

Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Since the football season is not worth discussing,  I figured I'd ask if there are any other coffee drinkers?

What are your favorite brews? Are you using a drip, pour over or French press? Im always looking for new blends to try. 

My normal everyday coffee is jamaican blue mountain blend from either costco or amazon.  I like making it in my cappuccino machine (mr coffee cafe barista).  100% jamaica blue mountain is obviously better and probably my favorite but it's much more expensive so I only occasionally get that.

My normal everyday coffee is jamaican blue mountain blend from either costco or amazon.  I like making it in my cappuccino machine (mr coffee cafe barista).  100% jamaica blue mountain is obviously better and probably my favorite but it's much more expensive so I only occasionally get that.
I just looked on Amazon, is the 100% really $100 for 16 oz? 

Added to my list. 

We are fond of BRCC (Black Rifle Coffee Company) and Kicking Horse Coffee as well as a personal favorite, Honeymoon Bay roasters that we discovered in Seattle. 

We just got a Mocca Master on sale and love the Coffee its making.

Added to my list. 

We are fond of BRCC (Black Rifle Coffee Company) and Kicking Horse Coffee as well as a personal favorite, Honeymoon Bay roasters that we discovered in Seattle. 

We just got a Mocca Master on sale and love the Coffee its making.
What type of grinder do you use?  I use this one from amazon as well.  

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Grinder-Electronic-Continuously-Adjustable/dp/B0043095WW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=AJDIJRAEDNJE&dchild=1&keywords=bodum+grinder&qid=1603670654&sprefix=bodum+grin%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-3

I need to get a burr grinder, we have a Cuisinart blade grinder. 
It makes a difference in expressos and cappuccinos and even coffees.  I like my coffees strong and only a burr grinder can grind it fine enough, especially without heating up or burning the beans.  I've had the one I showed you for several years and used heavily so worth the investment imo.  I noticed one on amazon for about half that price and looked decent.  I just can't vouch for that one is all.

It makes a difference in expressos and cappuccinos and even coffees.  I like my coffees strong and only a burr grinder can grind it fine enough, especially without heating up or burning the beans.  I've had the one I showed you for several years and used heavily so worth the investment imo.  I noticed one on amazon for about half that price and looked decent.  I just can't vouch for that one is all.
I looked at mine again, it seems to be a burr grinder. It was a whopping $3 at the Goodwill lol. 

Yeah, I've been playing with the grindthe last few days. My French Press likes the finest grind, I used a more medium grind for the pour over. Haven't found the sweet spot for this new one yet. 
For drip coffee I usually grind somewhere in the middle of fine and medium, leaning toward the finer side. Just my preference though.  Probably depends on the roast as well. 

Starbucks Veranda blend (whole bean) has been a nice one for me. I drink a lot of coffee and usually don't explore pricey types. 

I also use one of those little grinders. 

I did a lot of testing with the typical blends you find in stores and was surprised I wound up with Starbucks, since I'm typically an off-brand person. 

My normal, every day coffee is Folgers Classic. It's relatively cheap and tastes the best (at least to me) of all the regular grocery store brands. My family knows I love coffee and I can count on getting some "fancier" blends for birthday or Christmas gifts. My favorites that I usually receive are a maple bourbon blend and a butterscotch/caramel blend. 

One of the best brands of coffee I've ever had is Zoegas. 

https://www.amazon.com/Zoega-Skanerost-Ground-Filter-Coffee/dp/B017IY94YS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=zoegas+coffee&qid=1604404031&sr=8-2

My brother in law is from Sweden, and he turned me onto it not long after he moved to the US. He used to give me bags of the stuff when I was a full time student at USC. As a bonus, I worked as an RA at the Roost, and there just so happened to be some chicks on the soccer team from Finland. When they saw what coffee I drank, my room became ground zero for hot soccer babes wanting coffee.

These days, I use a Keurig. It's mostly because of the differing schedules my wife and I have. I'm usually up very early and gone by the time she wakes up with the kid. I also don't drink as much coffee as I used to, so single serving works best. So we usually get a big box of Newman's Own coffee from Sam's Club.

If you're like most people and are unwilling to shell out a bunch of money for high end coffee, you can make a bad coffee taste pretty good by adding the tiniest pinch of salt or baking soda to the cup. And I mean tiny. If you're using table salt, you really only need a couple of grains per cup. For baking soda, I'll dip my finger into a box of the stuff and brush off a little of what sticks to my finger. If you drink your coffee black, then you'll notice a much smoother taste. If you happen to taste any trace of the salt or baking soda, then you added way too much. 

Marie has one cup of decaf per day.  I have 3-5 cups of caffeine scattered during the day.  So we use a Keurig.  Being old and broke and can't run my little Amazon biz due to the pandemic we are cutting every corner we can find.  So Victor Allen doughnut shop or the Amazon Solima brand it is.  A long fall from the days of sipping Blue Mountain with my freshly squeezed juice, conch chowder, and smoked blue marlin on the dock of the Montego Bay yacht club.   :(  

I pick my stuff up locally from Baltimore Coffee and Tea. I like their after dinner blend and few others. I try flavored beans, but find i grow tired of them quickly. But I also had to cut from caffeinated to decaf due to pretty bad acid reflux. They probably have the best decaf I have tasted so far. It is very rare for me to get caffeinated coffee anymore. Zekes coffee also local is good. I used to like Stumptown Roasters. 

I love coffee and it also helps me get rid of headaches as I have health issues. Caffeine literally makes me alive. The doctor said just not to drink more than a cup a day, which I stick to. I usually make different coffees in the coffee machine - espresso, latte with lactose-free milk (I was surprised that it holds foam well).
I want to try to buy a French press, because I heard a lot about it

Last edited:
I love coffee and it also helps me get rid of headaches as I have health issues. Caffeine literally makes me alive. The doctor said just not to drink more than a cup a day, which I stick to. I usually make different coffees in the coffee machine - espresso, latte with lactose-free milk (I was surprised that it holds foam well).
I want to try to buy a French press, because I heard a lot about it
I love a French press. Just don’t let it go too long before you press.

I like anything dark or French roast, Black. Kona coffees are great too. I do the French press on occasion but my daily is a coarse ground dark French roast Dunkin’ or something close in a black rifle.