Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FOOD YOU CAN'T FIND ANYMORE

S

Senior Rooster

LIVER NIPS

[SIZE= 22px]Shealy's BBQ has a version but it is trash - served Thursday only.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 22px]Never found anywhere else.[/SIZE]

Grandma's Recipe:

[SIZE= 22px]Fresh Pork Liver[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 22px]Fresh Beef Liver[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 22px]Grind 2 Livers up with hand grinder [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 22px]Make into balls by mixing flour, corn meal  (just enough to make stick - mostly Liver) salt, black pepper, red pepper, red onion. Throw in large pot.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 22px]Cut small chunks of  both Livers up throw in large pot.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 22px]Cut Red Onion up throw in large pot[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 22px]Note: Many balls and many chunks[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 22px]Add Water with salt, black pepper, red pepper.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 22px]Cook slowly  should  make it's own broth/gravy[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 22px]ENJOY!!![/SIZE]

SR, I have never been to crazy about liver in any type of form.  My mother made me it at times when I was a little fellow, but I tend to avoid it now.  I know my mother use to make and buy "Liver Pudding" and she and my dad would eat it and were crazy about it.  I think that everyone that lived through the depression - pretty much loved about anything put on their plates and us "Baby Boomers" were taught to eat the same way for a  long time.  Good luck on finding you some "Liver Nips" and I will be on the lookout for you in some of the BBQ Restaurants that I haunt from time to time.  I bet Yancey eats them or has dated them before???  Just kidding, but he does eat pretty much everything that does not eat him first???

SR, I have never been to crazy about liver in any type of form.  My mother made me it at times when I was a little fellow, but I tend to avoid it now.  I know my mother use to make and buy "Liver Pudding" and she and my dad would eat it and were crazy about it.  I think that everyone that lived through the depression - pretty much loved about anything put on their plates and us "Baby Boomers" were taught to eat the same way for a  long time.  Good luck on finding you some "Liver Nips" and I will be on the lookout for you in some of the BBQ Restaurants that I haunt from time to time.  I bet Yancey eats them or has dated them before??Just kidding, but he does eat pretty much everything that does not eat him first???
Thanks!!  :blue-glow-lol-emoticon:

Lady walks into a butcher's shop and asks; "How's Your Liver"?

The butcher replies; "Fine, how's yours"?

This is why I am not a comedian???

Lady walks into a butcher's shop and asks; "How's Your Liver"?

The butcher replies; "Fine, how's yours"?

This is why I am not a comedian???
b2e.png

You have twice as many wieners that hate to go to the bathroom outside after it has rained, than I do.

Honestly I thought this thread was going to be about discontinued grocery/restaurant items as opposed to ... well liver nips. 

Sadly, we can now include the Double-Decker Taco from Taco Bell as a discontinued item. Taco Bell just wiped a bunch of things off of their menu, and that was one of them. That along with the also discontinued Chilito were the main things I liked there. Oh well.

You people . . .

Anywho, I am able to find some nostalgia stuff from time to time.  Teaberry gum is one.  Back in the 60s this guy named Dallas Dendy in my hood had a sketchy little C-store and lunch counter.  One of the best things he did was BBQ chicken.  No sauce, just a Gamecock garnet colored dry rub on the birds which were then cooked in a hot lamp rotisserie.  Try as I might I have never been able to duplicate that.

Grape ice cream is another.  Had that when I was 5 and living out west.  Shortly after it was found that grapes and raisins were poisonous for dogs.  So the gubmint made grape ice cream illegal.  I plan to make up a batch but will make sure that the attack poodle can't get into any.