Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks battling two others from SEC East for big defensive tackle

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Gamecocks battling two others from SEC East for big defensive tackle​

SPORTSTALK / June 12, 2023
1686611853953.pngNew USC defensive tackles coach Travian Robertson has an old-fashioned SEC recruiting brawl on his hands when it comes to DT Nnamdi Ogboko (6-5 320) of Garner, NC. Ogboko made his official visit to USC this past weekend. He also visited for a spring practice in late March. This weekend gave him a better chance to check out the program and get to know Robertson and some players much better.

“I really connected with the coaching staff more, and the players, I connected with them more,” Ogboko said. “They said the program is getting better. The new D-line coach that came in, Coach Robertson, they really like him. They said his technique is better and all that.”

Ogboko, who had 61 tackles with four sacks last season, would be a big man in the middle for the Gamecock defense. Head coach Shane Beamer no doubt envisions a guy who can tie up offensive linemen like Zacch Pickens did so well last season. In their exit meeting Sunday, Ogboko said Beamer was clear about how he felt towards him.

“He told me I was a top priority defensive lineman,” Ogboko. “I was really wanted there. I’m like in the tier one group. That’s what he told me. If I came, I’d be well taken care of.”

Ogboko visited Rutgers the weekend before USC, but the Scarlet Knights aren’t a factor. Ogboko said the Gamecocks, however, are right in the middle of things with their neighbors to the south.

“They are definitely in the top three now with Georgia and Florida,” Ogboko said. ” I don’t have an order yet. Those are like the favorites right now for me.”

Ogboko was joined on the USC visit by his younger brother 2026 OT Ekene Ogboko who camped at Clemson before coming to Columbia.

Ogboko is scheduled to visit Florida this weekend and Georgia the next. He is now looking at the end of summer going into his football season for a decision date.