Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks land two one from Portal other from JC

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Gamecocks land two one from Portal other from JC
Dec. 11, 2023

1702332247720.pngCoach Beamer sent out one commitment alert from the weekend of official visits with a group of transfers, and Monday morning Bamberg native DT Jerome Simmons (6-4 333) of Highland JC, KS emerged as the source for that alert. Simmons announced a commitment to the Gamecocks. He will graduate next spring and then enroll with three years to play two.

Gamecock defensive line coach Travian Robertson offered Simmons in October. Simmons also had offers from Mississippi State, Marshall, Jackson State, Jacksonville State, Buffalo, Charlotte, Akron, and McNeese State.

Simmons said Sunday night that Robertson showed him on his official visit how he would have the chance to come in and impact the defense.

“He told me I have an opportunity. All I have to do is show that I can work, and I’ll be playing,” Simmons said. “I got to sit there and absorb all the information he told me. It was good to have my family there too so they could see the point the coaches were coming from and how I would be used in their defense, so they could understand why they need me.”

1702332533095.pngAlso today former Coastal Carolina WR Jared Brown (6-0 190lbs) announced a commitment to the Gamecocks, adding much-needed depth and talent to the outside in the wake of Xavier Legette declaring for the NFL Draft and Juice Wells entering the transfer portal.

Brown’s electric speed made him indispensable to the Chanticleer offense during his stay in Conway. Over two seasons, the Lilburn, Georgia, native racked up 1,534 receiving yards and 11 receiving touchdowns on 108 catches, while contributing over 400 yards and two touchdowns on the ground