Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICE STORM Tues & Wed for Columbia and the Midlands ?

Warm air, eastern track kept Upstate snow totals down
February 13, 2014 by David Dykes and Ron Barnett - Greenville News

The National Weather Service said 4.5 inches of snow and sleet fell at Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport on Wednesday and Thursday, well below predictions of 8 to 12 inches.

The storm tracked well east of what was originally predicted and much warmer air aloft than expected melted many of the snow crystals, said James Oh, a weather service meteorologist.

GSP has recorded 6.3 inches of snow in separate systems since Tuesday, Oh said.

At noon Thursday, Duke Energy reported 2,181 customers in Oconee County were without power. About three hours later, the number had been reduced to 828, Duke officials said.

Minimal outages were reported in Greenville, Anderson, Pickens and Spartanburg counties.

The company had 3,400 “boots on the ground” in South Carolina and North Carolina and another 500 workers were expected to reinforce those ranks, said company spokesperson Mary Kathryn Green.

The storm seemed to veer more eastward than predicted, a track that could have spared the Upstate somewhat, Green said. Wilmington, N.C., for example was receiving more ice than originally anticipated, she said.

“I think you basically missed the bullet,” Green said.

MORE: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/viewart/20140213/NEWS/302130031/Warm-air-eastern-track-kept-Upstate-snow-totals-down

Storm recovery making headway
February 17, 2014 by The State

A seventh death statewide was attributed Monday to last week’s winter storm as more homes regained power.

Meanwhile, a few shelters for warmth and more remain open in the Lowcountry, which was hard hit by ice. Meals also continue to be delivered in those areas.

Here are the highlights:

• Authorities say a 92-year-old Marion woman died from exposure to the cold. Marion County Coroner Jerry Richardson said relatives found Margaret Brown dead in her home Friday and an autopsy confirmed she died from hypothermia.

• Utilities across South Carolina are reporting about 23,000 customers are still without power nearly a week after a crippling ice storm. About 55,000 customers were without power when Monday started, while 350,000 customers lost power at the peak of the storm. Most of the outages are with six of the state's 20 electric cooperatives, which serve mostly rural areas.

South Carolina Electric & Gas reported 5,000 outages and Duke Energy has power back for nearly every one of its customers.

Most of the remaining outages are in Aiken, Berkeley, Clarendon, Florence, Georgetown and Williamsburg counties.

•  Four shelters and warming operations remain open.

One shelter still open is at Russell Hill Christian Church in St. Stephens.

Meals are delivered by the Red Cross, Salvation Army and Southern Baptist Convention in Georgetown and Berkeley counties. “We’re prepared to continue that for a couple more days,” Red Cross spokesman Stephen Hudson said.

The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control continued to operate two special medical needs shelters.

• State officials responded to 67 requests for help and provided generators, debris removal, transportation assistance, energy restoration, National Guard support and drinking water.

• As state agencies move into recovery operations, the focus in on debris removal process and damage assessment. Gov. Nikki Haley is encouraging South Carolinians to help neighbors and communities with debris removal from private property.

You would never guess that the midlands had a major sleet and/or freezing rain storm just a week ago.

Temperatures yesterday were above 70.

Today expect high temperatures in the mid to upper 70s with temperatures near 80 on Thursday!

Crazy weather indeed.

The interesting part is if the maintenance people will switch over from heat to A/C during this time.

I'm guessing not, and that it will be equally balmy in my office.

Lucky you, I can remember freezing year round at the Newspaper office.  You could hang meat in the Publisher's office

Lucky you, I can remember freezing year round at the Newspaper office.  You could hang meat in the Publisher's office
At least you could dress in layers or bring a coat in that case.

It's not exactly professional to strip down in the office when the heat is on.

I see your point, but I had to wear gloves sometimes..

Well.....that 81 degree day yesterday finally melted the last of the snow.
default_laugh.png

Getting ready for severe weather now followed by a 15 degree temperature drop.

So it goes with South Carolina pre-Spring weather these days.

I tell you, I felt warmer Wednesday outside.. but I did park the raptormobile in the shade Thursday..

Speaking of, there is a Ghostbuster vehicle parked at Two Notch in Pontiac at a T-Shirt business.  It even has the logo on the door...

The Columbia metro airport set a record on Thursday of 84 degrees!

This breaks the old daily record high temperature of 83.

It's hard to believe just a week ago we had an ice and sleet storm.
default_ohmy.png

Broke a record.  Wow.  Didn't realize that.