Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KingJoseph Edwards updates Gamecocks' interest

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

KingJoseph Edwards updates Gamecocks' interest​

SPORTSTALK / July 13, 2023

1689286378540.pngOne of the more intriguing defensive end prospects still on the board is KingJoseph Edwards (6-5 242) of Hoschton, GA. He’s loaded down with P5 offers from coast to coast, but unlike other prospects of his stature, he’s in no rush to find a college home.

Edwards made an official visit to Ohio State on June 16th, his fourth overall visit to Columbus. He plans to take other official visits during the season. He camped at Alabama and made unofficial visits to Michigan and Oklahoma in June. Edwards also made a number of visits in the first quarter of the year including stops at USC, Southern Cal, Auburn, Georgia, Texas, Florida and Miami.

In fact, Edwards visited USC twice, once in March and again for the spring game in April. He was also in last season for the Texas A&M game. He has a lot of interest in the Gamecocks at this point, and his point man with the program has been defensive ends coach Sterling Lucas.

“I spoke with coach Lucas Monday,” Edwards said. “We are looking at my official visit happening in September. I talk to Coach Lucas about once a week. We have a good relationship. I’ve been following the recent commitments and I feel I’ll be a great addition to the team. After my official visit I will be making my decision as soon as possible.

Edwards has identified at various times his favorites as USC, Georgia, Tennessee and Ohio State. But now it’s USC, Alabama and Tennessee as his top three. He said Ohio State is no longer under consideration.

Edwards said his strong relationship with Lucas is a major reason the Gamecocks are in the position they are with him at this point. He now considers USC as his favorite.

“Coach Luc is like a mentor. We talk about football, life, staying focused on my studies and staying out of trouble,” Edwards said. “It’s different from what most coaches speak to me about. Most of them only want to know about the plays I make. Not many ask about how I’m doing in life.”

Edwards said he will take his official visits to USC, Alabama and Tennessee, but it’s possible he could have a commitment decision sometime in August.

Edwards missed part of this past season with a labrum injury, but he will be fine for the 2023 season.