Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latti Being Latti

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Just read his interview after Saturday and the main article write up was about how he is close to setting 2 school records. Well, as usual the second half of the article turns into him giving props to his teammates and he reminds everyone how hard his boys on the team have been working, not just him.

"We're definitely a mature team and we knew coming into the game that ECU was a great team," Lattimore said. "We had a hard time running the ball last year. But we just have to stay balanced and that's what we did."

The emphasis put on throwing the ball allowed backup quarterback Dylan Thompson to enjoy a solid day, with 330 yards on 21-of-37 passing.

Lattimore has been friends with Thompson - both of them grew up in the Upstate - for several years, so he knew what the Boiling Springs native was capable of on the football field.

"It's not something that surprised me because he does it in practice," Lattimore said. "He did it in high school. He played great. He's a man of God, so that helps out a lot. Whoever the quarterback is, our job is to go out there and make plays. He made perfect throws and guys made plays."

Thompson's confidence clearly wasn't at the level it needed to be following the Vanderbilt game, but a week of nurturing and cultivating along with a heavy dose of coaching by Steve Spurrier and quarterbacks coach G.A. Mangus prepared him mentally and physically for his first career start.

"Coach Spurrier and coach Mangus were definitely on him the entire week," Lattimore said. "They were just trying to get him ready and trying to make him perfect. He progressed the whole week. He never got down. He made some bad throws in practice and the coach yelled at him, but he never got down. He proved out on the field that all the hard work on the field paid off."

Besides being teammates on the Gamecocks, Lattimore and Thompson share a deep religious faith. In fact, Thompson credited his convictions in God for helping him deal with the pressure-cooker of major college football.

"Every game for the past two years, he comes up to me and says, 'Remember who you're playing for,'" Lattimore said. "That was the main thing I said to him, 'Remember who you're playing for.' He just smiled at me and he was ready to go after that. That's my boy. We've been friends since 10th grade. We've been on recruiting visits and played against each other, of course. It was good to have him out there."

Last year, Lattimore beamed from ear to ear during his post-game press conference after former high school teammate Nick Jones caught his first career touchdown pass in the 54-3 romp past Kentucky.

This time, his smiles were for Thompson, although Jones did have two receptions for 19 yards in the lopsided win over East Carolina.

"I know how hard they've worked," Lattimore said. "Then to see them put it out on the field. It just makes me feel good."

Another thing that made Lattimore feel good was the new Gamecock walk through the Farmer's Market about two hours before kickoff.

"It was real fun seeing all those fans out there," Lattimore said. "Usually, we just walk right to the stadium (from the buses). It was great to see how much they support us."