Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More on the Gamecocks and 2025 QB Ryan Montgomery

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

More on the Gamecocks and 2025 QB Ryan Montgomery​

SPORTSTALK / August 16, 2023
1692189776414.png2025 QB Ryan Montgomery (6-3 212) of Findlay, OH dropped his top five schools on Tuesday night. These aren’t necessarily his final five school according to his father Mike, but they are the one’s he’s focused on at this point. And why these five? Mike Montgomery said with the 2025 quarterback market in flux, the five of USC, Georgia, Michigan, Penn State and Florida are still shopping.

“He is at the top of the board, call it one or two, for all of those schools,” Montgomery said. “All of those schools are still in the hunt for a 2025 quarterback. That would be a common denominator for sure.”

Montgomery and his dad have visited USC multiple times. The mom has not yet, but that will be changing this fall. Shane Beamer has been out front with the Gamecocks’ recruiting of Montgomery, and that hasn’t gone unnoticed by the family.

“It’s the people there, specifically Shane,” Mike Montgomery said. “We think Shane is an absolute dynamic human being. Work hard, play hard mentality, just love everything that he’s doing. He’s a super authentic guy you can tell right way. He’s put probably the most amount of time into Ryan since the open period when they could call and reach out to Ryan, which was August 1st. I’ve bet he’s talked to Shane the most of any head coach. In addition to that, (QB) Coach (Dowell) Loggains, him and Ryan hit it off from the day they met. With his NFL background, it’s super enticing, and we’re really confident that he’s going to do a lot of special things with Spencer (Rattler) this season. We’re excited to see that unfold and we’ll be down for the (Florida) Gators game in October.”

Mike Montgomery is not naming a favorite at this point for his son, but his enthusiasm in interviews for the Gamecocks can’t go unnoticed.

“I’m not shying away from that,” Montgomery said. “They’ve done an outstanding job, and yes, they are doing a great job. Yes, there’s a huge connection. I’m taking my wife down there, and she doesn’t go unless we’re real, real serious.”

Along with the visit to USC in October for the Florida game, the plan is to travel to Florida for the Tennessee game in September. A visit to Georgia will take place in November. And they can easily plan trips to the closer schools of Penn State and Michigan. A decision is possible before the end of the calendar year.

“Things are kind of moving fast for his class, which I don’t want to say caught us off guard but is a little surprising given that class has two more years of football to play. Spots are starting to fall; positions are being taken. I would say he’s locked in on his season now, and in addition, like I said, visits. He’s open to some other schools, but pretty much those five will be the ones he focuses on. I would think a decision could come at the earliest, call it December, at the latest, first quarter of 2024. We’re leaving November open where if things go very well with at SC or Florida, then we can go back for a November game. If we take a second game visit to any of those five, that means they are obviously making moves, right?”