Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaw’s injury leaves USC quarterback job in doubt again (AUDIO)

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Steve Spurrier got the clearance of the team doctors, and at the urging of Connor Shaw, he started his junior quarterback in Saturday night’s win over UAB. In retrospect, it was not a wise decision.

Shaw missed last week’s game with what he’s now called a cracked shoulder blade. Previously, the word from official USC was that he had a deep shoulder bruise.

Shaw was shaky in Spurrier’s opinion. He completed his first two passes and the was was picked off though the blame could equally fall on Ace Sanders for going the wrong way on the route. He later threw a 16 yard touchdown pass to Sanders. But on his last play of the game late in the second quarter as he completed a pass to Bruce Ellington, Shaw reinjured the shoulder and would not return. The question now is will it be Shaw or Dylan Thompson under center for next week’s game with Missouri.

I just landed on the same spot I got hit against Vanderbilt. The pain was up there. I had a shot and got some pain pills.
It’s just sore and real tight right now. It’s the same crack in my shoulder blade. Hopefully I’ll be back next week. I felt good coming in today. I felt like I could come in and play. Obviously the more I threw the more it hurt.
wpaudio-play.png
AUDIO:

Download

0:00

Connor Shaw updates his status [1:00]

Shaw finished the night 8-14 for 107 yards, 1 touchdown and 1 interception. Spurrier said he’ll see how Shaw feels during the week before deciding on a starter but he added that Shaw has earned the right to be the starter if he is healthy.

Thompson was not as sharp as he was last week but he did throw two touchdown passes and run for a third. Thompson still considers himself the backup to Shaw but based on fan reaction at times Saturday night, he’s got some support out there for being the starter.

It was an ugly start, that’s for sure. It was obviously different than last week. Unfortunately Connor (Shaw) went down. You never want to see that happen. You come in and have a few bad plays, it’s not the best start, but I got fortunate. I came back and just tried to keep my head. We went down and were able to score. I’m glad to see that we bounced back. We have a great team on offense, and it makes my job easier.
On his thoughts going into next week’s SEC game
Going into next week’s game, the biggest thing for a lot of players are nerves and worrying. For me personally, I just put full confidence in God. I know he’ll be constant. I can’t rely on the ups and downs of football. Going into next week, that’s what I’ll hold on to.
wpaudio-play.png
AUDIO:

Download

0:00

Dylan Thompson discusses his status [2:19]

Thompson finished with 177 passing yards and two touchdowns. He has 5 scoring passes in the past two games and five completions of over 30 yards.

link: http://sportstalkgolive.com/index.php/2012/09/16/shaws-injury-leaves-usc-quarterback-job-in-doubt-again/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but instead of being on the field doing more damage, better he stays outside it...