Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some recruiting notes..

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
ATH Tramel Terry of Goose Creek said Wednesday he will take official visits to Georgia and Clemson. He said he will not take one to USC. “I’ve never even thought about taking an official visit to USC,” Terry said. “I’ve been there several times on unofficial visits, so there’s no need to.” One of those unofficial visits was last Saturday for the UAB game. Terry said he will not visit anywhere this coming weekend and he will set his official visit dates in the next week or two with Georgia and Clemson. “I’m committed to Georgia,” he said, “but it’s a business and I have a right to take my officials, and that’s what I’m doing to do. Clemson has always been high on me being an in state school. I like the offensive coordinator and Coach Elliott and I have a good relationship.” Terry said those two visits likely would be his only official visits because he is graduating in December and won’t have time for others. Terry plays running back, receiver and some cornerback and he said both schools are now recruiting him as an athlete. The question now is, does Clemson have a chance at turning him? “No, not right now,” Terry said. “I’m 100% (Georgia) unless something happens.” Terry said he might take an unofficial visit to Georgia for this weekend’s game with Vanderbilt.

Junior OL Taylor Hearn (6-5 315) of Williston Elko has an offer from Clemson with interest from USC, LSU, NC State and Mississippi State among others. Hearn was offered by the Tigers over the summer and likes what they have to offer. “I went to a camp there this summer and I was at the game a couple of weekends ago (Ball State),” Hearn said. “I like the offense, the campus and the academics. They have a really good academic program.” Hearn named Clemson, USC and Alabama as his top three. He attended USC’s win over UAB last weekend and returns to Williams-Brice for the “Battle of Columbia” between USC and Missouri this Saturday. “Carolina is a good team and it’s really close to home,” he said. “Clemson is about three hours from here but Carolina is just down the street. I like their academic program too.” Hearn feels an offer could come from the Gamecocks shortly. Other schools he plans to visit include NC State and North Carolina. “They’re always inviting me to their games,” he said of both schools. Hearn does not have a leader.

BASKETBALL NEWS:

6-5 Sindarius Thornwell of Oak Hill Academy, VA will make an unofficial visit to USC Saturday for the football game. Bill Gunter of TheBigSpur.com reported Thornwell is coming home to Lancaster for the weekend and will drive down to Columbia with his uncle for the day Saturday. Thornwell is considering USC and Clemson. He has scheduled official visits to NC State for October 12th and Ohio State for October 19th. Thornwell may wait until the spring to make his decision.

USC has kept the phone warm with 6-9 Desmond Ringer of McDonough, GA this week following his official visit last weekend. “Desmond has been talking with Coach Figger and Coach Martin since the visit,” Ringer’s father Boris said. “He’s in good contact with those guys. He’s real excited about the opportunity at South Carolina.” Ringer will take an official visit to Mercer this weekend. No other visits are scheduled right now, but a new school has popped up on the radar. “Virginia Tech about him and expressed interest,” Ringer’s father said. “I don’t know how serious they are.” The Ringers do not have a timetable for a decision except to make one before his season, “Though it might be earlier,” Mr. Ringer said.

BASEBALL NEWS:

USC has picked up its first commitment from a catcher for the 2014 class from Hunter Taylor (5-11 190) of Onley, VA. John Whittle of TheBigSpurcom reported that Taylor committed to the Gamecocks shortly after visiting for the East Carolina football game and chose the Gamecocks over North Carolina, Virginia and Virginia Tech. Last season Taylor batted .571 with 4 home runs and 35 RBIs. Taylor also plays third base and the outfield, and he also pitches. He’s the 12th commitment for the 2014 class.

Scouting report on Taylor from PerfectGame.com.

Hunter Taylor is a 2014 C/3B/RHP with a 5-11 190 lb. frame from Onley, VA who attends Nandua HS. Strong compact build, fairly physically mature. Very good arm strength, quick exchange, sound footwork, arm stroke a bit long, 1.94 best pop, high energy game actions, gets after it behind the plate. Right handed hitter, long loose swing with good weight shift, stays balanced and directional, bat speed, shows pull power and power to the gaps. Also pitched, “Virginia” style pitching mechanics, starts pre-loaded and open, over the top release, fastball to 87 mph with good sink, big downer curveball, threw strikes and got quick outs. Talented and versatile player, plays hard. Named MVP of the event. Good student.

link: http://sportstalkgolive.com/index.php/2012/09/21/terry-planning-only-two-official-visits-this-fall/