Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The former Three Mile Island nuclear plant to re-open to power Microsoft's data centers

You can't make this stuff up. Likely the end of Microsoft if something goes wrong.
They are going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars just to get it back to code. Ever since the issues Japan had after the Tsunami, the codes have gotten a lot more stringent. I worked over at Plant Vogtle for a couple years. The NRC codes now are unlike any before, but at least the reactor is safer than ever.

There are 2 things that surprise me.
1. How much energy will an AI plant require? 1 reactor can power 100,000 homes 24/7
2. I know Bill Gates still owns a lot of Microsoft. I thought he was working on his own new type reactors?

Gates has invested $1 billion into a nuclear power plant that broke ground in Kemmerer, Wyo., this week. The new facility, designed by the Gates-founded TerraPower, will be smaller than traditional fission nuclear power plants and, in theory, safer because it will use sodium instead of water to cool the reactor’s core.