Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top Gun: Maverick premiering this week

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash
A friend went to see it yesterday. He got in but the 3:00 show was sold out.

He said it was an awesome movie.

Hopefully I will get to see it this weekend.

Great movie, will certainly be buying it when it comes out. The theater I saw it in was not equipped for Dolby Atmos but I can't wait to hear it in Atmos.

If I had one complaint, in true Hollywood form, they screwed up the uniforms.

Here is the original article that inspired the movie.

It just seems like a description of real-life pilots in a training program created by the DoD instead of a work of fiction similar to the screenplay of the movie.

I have never looked at Yonay's article before now, but I always assumed it was a work of fiction similar to the movie, but it's not.

That would be like me taking a picture of an F-14 at NAS Miramar and then trying to take credit for the entire movie. Most likely the reason why Paramount probably told the Yonays to go pound sand before the release.

Here is the original article that inspired the movie.

It just seems like a description of real-life pilots in a training program created by the DoD instead of a work of fiction similar to the screenplay of the movie.

I have never looked at Yonay's article before now, but I always assumed it was a work of fiction similar to the movie, but it's not.

That would be like me taking a picture of an F-14 at NAS Miramar and then trying to take credit for the entire movie. Most likely the reason why Paramount probably told the Yonays to go pound sand before the release.
you do realize that Paramount bought the rights from them to make the movie...then they expired in 2020 and they were sent a cease and desist letter and Paramount ignored it...while I assume this is a cash grab my bet is that they will be paid quite well to "go away"

you do realize that Paramount bought the rights from them to make the movie...then they expired in 2020 and they were sent a cease and desist letter and Paramount ignored it...while I assume this is a cash grab my bet is that they will be paid quite well to "go away"
Yeah, it will be interesting.

Section 3 Moral Rights

Article 18

The protection of moral rights of an author who has died or been extinguished shall be deemed to be the same as when the author was living or in existence and shall not be infringed upon by any person; provided, the act shall not constitute an infringement where it can be considered that the author's intent has not been contravened given the nature and degree of the act of exploitation, social changes, or other circumstances.

Article 21
Moral rights belong exclusively to the author and shall not be transferred or succeeded.

Section 4 Economic Rights

Article 30
Except as otherwise provided in this Act, economic rights endure for the life of the author and fifty years after the author's death.

Where a work is first publicly released between the fortieth and fiftieth years after the author's death, the economic rights shall endure for a term of ten years beginning from the time of the first public release.

Subsection 3 Transfer, Exercise, and Extinguishment of Economic Rights
Article 36

Economic rights may be transferred in whole or in part to another person and may be jointly owned with other persons.

The transferee of economic rights obtains economic rights within the scope of the transfer.

The scope of the transfer of the economic rights shall be as stipulated by the parties; rights not clearly covered by such stipulations shall be presumed to have not been transferred.

Chapter VI Remedies for Infringement of Rights
Article 84

The copyright holder or the plate rights holder may demand removal of infringement of its rights. Where there is likelihood of infringement, a demand may be made to prevent such infringement.

Article 85
A person who infringes on the moral rights of an author shall be liable for damages. In the event of non-pecuniary injury, the injured party may claim a commensurate amount of compensation.

In infringement matters referred to in the preceding paragraph the injured party may demand indication of the author's name or appellation, correction of content, or adoption other appropriate measures necessary for the restoration of its reputation.

Article 86
After the death of the author, unless otherwise specified by a will, the following persons, in the order indicated, shall be entitled to request remedies in accordance with Article 84 and the second paragraph of the preceding article for actual or likely violations of Article 18:

1. Spouses

2. Children

3. Parents

4. Grandchildren

5. Brothers and sisters

6. Grandparents

http://www.copyrightnote.org/statute/tw0044.html

Moral rights are not transferrable from the author after death and Article 86 about remedying infringement refers to Article 18 under Moral Rights which Article 21 under the same section says are not transferrable after death of the author.

Do moral rights to the copyright trump economic rights in the event of death of the original author?

Last edited:
I wonder if much of the case is around popularizing the term "Top Guns". That is a specific descriptive that is part of the American lexicon now, and is principle to the title of the movie.

I wonder if much of the case is around popularizing the term "Top Guns". That is a specific descriptive that is part of the American lexicon now, and is principle to the title of the movie.
I would go with that one more than anything else.

Last edited:
Wasn't the movie supposed to be released in 2020 but it got pushed because of Covid. Wonder if the initial release was supposed to have been while they still had the rights?

Wasn't the movie supposed to be released in 2020 but it got pushed because of Covid. Wonder if the initial release was supposed to have been while they still had the rights?
That's a great question.

I don't think Paramount intended any malice toward the Yonays if you take the delays due to Covid into account.

I thought that Tom Hanks movie Greyhound looked pretty good, but it got buried in an Apple-only release. You have to think that TGM would have struggled to break even because of Covid if they had stuck to the original release date.

Some might say Cruise didn't help things by dragging his feet for so long on the sequel, but then Kilmer would have still been recovering from throat cancer back then, too.

You could also say that sticking with the original release date would have caused Paramount Covid-related financial harm, too.

But Paramount took the calculated risk by delaying the release of the movie until now. It will be interesting to see how this plays out legally.

I assume that is correct...however the plaintiffs feel that the agreement ended and have tried to get paramount to discuss and it seems they were largely ignored...will just be interesting to watch it unfold further

Striking good movie. Lots of Hollywood, but a lot of their fighter jet combat concepts were realistic.
Finding a way to get "Maverick" back into the cockpit of a Tomcat was a stroke of writer genius.