Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wait on GG Jackson decision about basketball future could be a ways off

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Don’t circle a date on a calendar just yet for coveted recruit GG Jackson’s decision about his basketball future. That’s according to the family patriarch Greg Jackson. The Ridge View High School star, currently a junior in the 2023 class, indicated last Thursday after a state championship win that he expected to make a decision within the next two to three weeks. Monday night, his father said things aren’t moving that quickly.

“We’re still a ways off,” Greg Jackson said. “He threw out there that two to three weeks and I don’t know why he said that. If something does happen in the next two to three weeks, it will be him on his own.” Would GG go out on his own with the decision? “I’d be in the newspaper for another reason,” his dad quipped.

GG Jackson last week in a social media post identified his options as USC, Duke, North Carolina, Georgetown, Auburn and the G League. Prior to that announcement, his father did not consider going straight to the pros to be a strong option. “We were shocked about the list,” Greg Jackson said. “The kids kind of got together and did that, he and my daughter.
Me and my wife were like, ‘What is all this?’ The G League is still an option. I don’t know about this year, but it is an option. The G League, in my opinion, it will prepare you for the NBA, but they don’t have the exposure that the college guys are getting. You never see any of the G League games on TV.
You don’t know who is doing what. These college guys, certain programs, they are on TV all the time. Their stock is going high.” Former NBA guard Rod Strickland, who is the program director for the G League’s Team Ignite, has been the primary recruiter of GG by the pro league. His phone calls have been rolling in just like the ones from USC’s Frank Martin, Duke’s Jon Scheyer, North Carolina’s Hubert Davis and the other head coaches.

Don’t circle a date on a calendar just yet for coveted recruit GG Jackson’s decision about his basketball future. That’s according to the family patriarch Greg Jackson. The Ridge View High School star, currently a junior in the 2023 class, indicated last Thursday after a state championship win that he expected to make a decision within the next two to three weeks. Monday night, his father said things aren’t moving that quickly.

“We’re still a ways off,” Greg Jackson said. “He threw out there that two to three weeks and I don’t know why he said that. If something does happen in the next two to three weeks, it will be him on his own.” Would GG go out on his own with the decision? “I’d be in the newspaper for another reason,” his dad quipped.

GG Jackson last week in a social media post identified his options as USC, Duke, North Carolina, Georgetown, Auburn and the G League. Prior to that announcement, his father did not consider going straight to the pros to be a strong option. “We were shocked about the list,” Greg Jackson said. “The kids kind of got together and did that, he and my daughter.
Me and my wife were like, ‘What is all this?’ The G League is still an option. I don’t know about this year, but it is an option. The G League, in my opinion, it will prepare you for the NBA, but they don’t have the exposure that the college guys are getting. You never see any of the G League games on TV.
You don’t know who is doing what. These college guys, certain programs, they are on TV all the time. Their stock is going high.” Former NBA guard Rod Strickland, who is the program director for the G League’s Team Ignite, has been the primary recruiter of GG by the pro league. His phone calls have been rolling in just like the ones from USC’s Frank Martin, Duke’s Jon Scheyer, North Carolina’s Hubert Davis and the other head coaches.
The longer this goes the less likely he comes here IMO.

The G League is still an option. I don’t know about this year, but it is an option. The G League, in my opinion, it will prepare you for the NBA, but they don’t have the exposure that the college guys are getting. You never see any of the G League games on TV.
You don’t know who is doing what. These college guys, certain programs, they are on TV all the time. Their stock is going high.
If TV exposure is important, that's not going to be SC, unfortunately.

How so, we're on TV quite a bit?
I think GG's dad means national games on the big networks and ESPN channels. SC is playing almost exclusively on the SEC Network, which is great for Gamecock fans, but maybe isn't much help in terms of national recognition.

I think the dad's comments on the G league are a little shortsighted. He might not get much exposure to the common fan. He's an idiot, though, if he doesn't think G league games, especially for the Ignite team, aren't heavily scouted. The Ignite team did better in last year's draft than the other teams in GG's list combined. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the college game and want all the prospects to play college ball, even if for just one year. However, for the elite prospects like GG, I think the Ignite program is the better option.

Garnetandglad

Well, I heard Mama liked Frank. Now that he's gone, what will our chances be?

Well, Frank recruited him hard and was close so I know the firing does not help our cause that's for sure. If he does go the college route one year and he is gone..