Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do Gamecocks stand with SAF Jontae Gilbert?

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Where do Gamecocks stand with SAF Jontae Gilbert?​

SPORTSTALK / September 28, 2023
1695900996587.png2025 SAF Jontae Gilbert (6-1 175) of Atlanta just picked up an offer from Texas. The Longhorns join a stellar list of offers including USC, Southern Cal, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Miami, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Michigan State.

Gilbert decommitted from Ohio State in July, and since then his fondness for one school has continued to grow to where he has a new favorite.

“Really, South Carolina,” he said. “Most definitely. You could say that. They are really high on my list. That’s all I can say right now. High on my list.”

Gilbert has visited USC four times since April and plans to return for the Clemson game in November, and possibly for a game earlier than that. USC head coach Shane Beamer and secondary coach Torrian Gray have been relentless in their pursuit, and Gilbert is appreciative of the love.

“Great relationship with the whole staff. They call almost every day out of the week, so that’s good to connect with them,” Gilbert said minutes after finishing up a call with Beamer Wednesday night. “It’s the whole defensive coaching staff, but Coach Beamer and Coach Gray are the main two. “I’m a priority to them. It’s not that they need me, they also want me as well. They want me and need me as well. It’s good to be wanted and needed as well as a priority to them. They see me as a utility guy, playing nickel, safety and cornerback. They would move me around.”

Gilbert visited USC for a spring practice April 1st and got a good look at how Gray works with his guys.

“I really got to see him coach one time when I was at a practice,” Gilbert said. “I really liked the way he coaches. He keeps it real, too. He works on technique as well with his guys and that’s good. The guys are playing good, but I feel like they can play better. They keep improving every single week, so I’ll see how they progress during the season.”

The only school Gilbert has visited this season for a game was Georgia Tech when Louisville was in Atlanta. He plans to visit Southern Cal October 7th.

Last season Gilbert said he was in on 54 tackles and had one interception and two pass break ups.