Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19 years ago today

Kids asked me this morning where I was. Vividly remember driving in from my apartment to USC for class. Heard something about it on the radio, didn't really know what to think. Then walked to the Business school and there were tvs wheeled everywhere with crowds around. Walked into class and teacher said go home. 

My older sister was on a train from Baltimore to NYC which got stopped somewhere in NJ. Impossible to get a hold of her on her cell phone. Scary time not being able to get a hold of her. 

I woke up a little earlier than usual in my dorm room at the Roost. My only class that day was not until after lunch, so I had some time to kill. I decided to turn on the news for a change. I hadn't watched the news in a long time, so I figured it was time to see what was going on in the world. 

I could see that something was going on at the World Trade Center. The news anchors were still confused, and thought maybe it was a bomb or something. So I turned up the volume a little and paid a little closer attention. Just then, the second plane hit. It wasn't long before they began calling it a terrorist attack, so I called up my National Guard unit to find out if we were being mobilized. We weren't, yet. 

I stayed glued to the TV until it was time for my class. Nothing official had been put out that class was canceled, so I went. The professor gave a little speech at the beginning of class, expressing his dismay that classes had not been canceled. Then he said that anyone who wanted to leave could do so, and that he would not give them any negative marks for attendance. I was also supposed to have a physical therapy appointment at Ft. Jackson that afternoon, but I knew better than to try getting on base. So that was my first and only ever missed appointment in the military.

These days, I'm a contractor working with the Marine Corps, and it still amazes me that there are kids serving who were not even born when 9/11 happened. They will never be able to grasp just how much our world changed that day.

I was a freshman at Carolina living in Moore (Honeycomb Towers). I got up that morning and was leaving at 9:00 or so for my first class. The guy next door had his door open and had on the news. He called me in to see all that had gone down. It wasn't too long after I started watching that we saw the second plane hit the south tower. All I can describe it as being in shock seeing that happen. I made it to my class and the professor came in and told us what had happened in case nobody had yet seen/heard about it. He then canceled class for the rest of the week. I don't remember if the university officially canceled classes, but all of mine seemed to be on hold for the next week and a half. After seeing the Pentagon get hit, I did wonder if Ft Jackson or Shaw AFB would be targeted. Very surreal even thinking about it today.

Sitting in 8th grade math class, my bestfriend and I swore an oath that day that we would serve our country. 

Raise a glass to the thousands that died and give thanks for those who willingly climbed to their death in those towers. 

Two columns of light that rise every Sept. 11 from a site near ground zero represent who is missing. This year, those beams will be gone, too.

Since 2002, the Tribute in Light has marked the attacks on the twin towers: It features 88 specially made lights used to create the projections, which tower over New York City until dawn on Sept. 12. But on Thursday, the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, which is responsible for the tribute, announced that it was canceling the display this year because of the coronavirus crisis.

Although people typically don’t crowd together to view the lights — which on a clear night can be seen from 60 miles away — a team of about 40 stagehands and electricians work closely on the installation for more than a week, Colin Moynihan reported in The Times.

The decision to cancel was made “after concluding the health risks during the pandemic were far too great for the large crew,” Michael Frazier, a memorial and museum spokesman, said in a statement.
14nytoday-superJumbo.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/nyregion/911-tribute-lights.html