Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1984: The last meaningful win over Notre Dame

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash
Taking to the road after five straight home games, the Gamecocks trailed Notre Dame 17-14 at halftime and fell behind 26-14 after turning the football over on the first three possessions of the second half.

A 73-yard drive produced Hold's quarterback sneak for a touchdown and Kent Hagood's two-point plunge cut the deficit to 26-22 with just over 14 minutes remaining in the game. Hold directed a 75-yard drive, scrambling the final 33 when he could not find an open receiver, to give Carolina a 29-26 lead five minutes later. Rick Rabune recovered a Notre Dame fumble less than a minute later and Quinton Lewis scored to give Carolina a 10-point lead, 36-26.

Chris Major broke up a two-point conversion attempt and Earl Johnson intercepted a pass, with 1:40 remaining to preserve a 36-32 win. Carolina vaulted into the nation's top 10, eighth in UPI and ninth in AP.

USC running back Thomas Dendy (31) carries the ball for a short gain on the rain-soaked field at South Bend. (below)

SoGzP5N8VsFN1DtKwjo0zpCDT3pzXeroVY4tLDkfYNzf9OoKi0pNH1GvjOl_3J336Vipc3POIKO8m9Gym4UdbpWFuOMQ4mTlZiE45Nlu0FcQBYfCLT4lGTN2AslEUaz9960stSTVqQ=w2400

Carolina elected to keep the ball on the ground for most of the Notre Dame game due to the rainy game day weather.

Quarterback Mike Hold (7) is sacked by two Notre Dame defenders during the game at South Bend. (below)

dz3q-7ScUsX5MXUEwavan5jVJu9nbMVAW4O7SRKGyOOy07Je61xdkNrJT6A16ZCRMQMvKf8BdWf2-PoH5zzBlpn3mTAyBvy7cgqD-TEORFIMi9GIUf5JEjJHmZVQPbtt_dpuUFFI6w=w2400
\

Hold would rebound to lead the Gamecocks to a great 36-32 come-from-behind victory over the Irish.

Last edited:
Lots of similarities between Shane and Joe, if you stop and think about it.
Not sure what they are as I think about it. Joe played in the NFL, had his jersey retired, never was an assistant coach... 😳 I'm trying but Joe was nothing like Shane if I stop and think about it, sorry I tried but educate me as I'm lost. They are both great Gamecock coaches!
1984 was THE year for many kids of my generation!

Last edited:
Not sure what they are as I think about it. Joe played in the NFL, had his jersey retired, never was an assistant coach... 😳 I'm trying but Joe was nothing like Shane if I stop and think about it, sorry I tried but educate me as I'm lost. They are both great Gamecock coaches!
1984 was THE year for many kids of my generation!

Like Joe, Shane understands what makes people tick and knows how to manage the different egos and personalities.

1984 was a special year!
Like Joe, Shane understands what makes people tick and knows how to manage the different egos and personalities.
Interesting, I always put Joe in the old school bravado big ego, been there done that, follow me and you can be like me, untouchable when hired... he didn't manage, it was his way or the highway but that is from someone looking from behind the wall and just an opinion.
I can get behind what you say either way because it is not how you do it... Shane has been groomed his entire life for this, been around every ego, personality and seen it done multiple ways.

1984 was a special year!

Interesting, I always put Joe in the old school bravado big ego, been there done that, follow me and you can be like me, untouchable when hired... he didn't manage, it was his way or the highway but that is from someone looking from behind the wall and just an opinion.
I can get behind what you say either way because it is not how you do it... Shane has been groomed his entire life for this, been around every ego, personality and seen it done multiple ways.

Yep. I am sure Frank has given him some great advice this season.

Yep. I am sure Frank has given him some great advice this season.
Can you imagine being able to not just call Frank Beamer but go sit down with him and say Dad, what do you think...INVALUABLE!! Not to mention during any coaching search the folks the Beamer coaching tree touches

You can hear the announcers call ND LB Mike Golic for a stop in the first quarter. Golic graduated as a Finance and Management major in 1985 and was a long-time ESPN personality after a decent NFL career with the old Houston Oilers.

I always enjoyed listening to Mike Golic, when I caught him on the Mike and Mike show...always thought Greenberg got a little too big for his britches and moved on without Golic.