Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 QB Room

B_Amazing

Fanatics Cash
Beamer has stated that every position is an open competition and that’s the way it should be.  Looking ahead this is how I see the room going.

QB1: Rattler - I don’t think theirs anyone that doesn’t see him as the day 1 starter for the Gamecocks.  
Good: ultra competitive, experienced, proven he can win. Fluid throwing motion, nice deep ball.  Brings an excitement to the program that can help build in the future.

Bad: Potentially will only be here for 1 year, old videos that make him seem selfish.

QB2: Doty - would have been the starter if not for injuries in 2021. He should get some experience in mop up duty late in games.  
Good: competitive, team first, has mobility. Has experience.
Bad: previous staff didn’t develop well, passing needs work.  

QB3: Davis - This kid should get a redshirt year to learn behind the previous 2.  Unless you have a generational QB this is the way it should be.  No good or bad for this player as we have not seen him in this setting and with the mentoring of the staff.

Pretty well summed it up. Just maybe we can get 2 years out of Rattler. Should pick at lest 2 good portal receivers to go with our QB.  Not much action on the portal commits last few days. 

Beamer has stated that every position is an open competition and that’s the way it should be.  Looking ahead this is how I see the room going.

QB1: Rattler - I don’t think theirs anyone that doesn’t see him as the day 1 starter for the Gamecocks.  
Good: ultra competitive, experienced, proven he can win. Fluid throwing motion, nice deep ball.  Brings an excitement to the program that can help build in the future.

Bad: Potentially will only be here for 1 year, old videos that make him seem selfish.

QB2: Doty - would have been the starter if not for injuries in 2021. He should get some experience in mop up duty late in games.  
Good: competitive, team first, has mobility. Has experience.
Bad: previous staff didn’t develop well, passing needs work.  

QB3: Davis - This kid should get a redshirt year to learn behind the previous 2.  Unless you have a generational QB this is the way it should be.  No good or bad for this player as we have not seen him in this setting and with the mentoring of the staff.
If Rattler is only here for 1 year, that's not necessarily a bad thing - because it means he put enough good stuff on tape to head to the league ... if he's here for two years it's because his first year was full of Satterfield nonsense. Luke gets a year to get healthy and really learn the position, and the same for Braden and Gauthier. Solid crew.

If Rattler is only here for 1 year, that's not necessarily a bad thing - because it means he put enough good stuff on tape to head to the league ... if he's here for two years it's because his first year was full of Satterfield nonsense. Luke gets a year to get healthy and really learn the position, and the same for Braden and Gauthier. Solid crew.
That's the grain of slat you have to take with Shane's comments about Rattler and Satt's offense.

Does a true Freshman QB know enough at all to even care about stuff like that?

By most accounts, Rattler will most likely play in the NFL, so stuff like that is important to any other veteran, highly-ranked transfer QBs that might want to come into the program like Rattler did.

Pretty well summed it up. Just maybe we can get 2 years out of Rattler. Should pick at lest 2 good portal receivers to go with our QB.  Not much action on the portal commits last few days. 
I think best case scenario is he’s only here for 1 year and we help him sneak back into the first round of the draft.  If that happens he could potentially be a springboard QB that gets us into the conversation with highly rated QBs coming into college.  
IMO recruiting is a 3 phase area: 1) you got to have a coach that players want to play for.  2) wining, plain and simple players want to win.  3)NFL, while it may not be the number 1 goal of every college player the highly rated recruits do want to go somewhere where they can be developed for that next step.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think best case scenario is he’s only here for 1 year and we help him sneak back into the first round of the draft.  If that happens he could potentially be a springboard QB that gets us into the conversation with highly rated QBs coming into college.  
IMO recruiting is a 3 phase area: 1) you got to have a coach that players want to play for.  2) wining, plain and simple players want to win.  3)NFL, while it may not be the number 1 goal of every college player the highly rated recruits do want to go somewhere where they can be developed for that next step.
There is so much individual greed in play at all levels of college sports right now, that it is pretty ridiculous.

People freaked out when Olympic athletes were first allowed to make paid endorsements, but there's only been a handful of Olympic athletes over the years that have truly been successful doing that.

I hope that Shane makes a player have one or two good seasons here under his belt before going down the NIL route with them.

I also think Shane will be able to get us in a position where you have a limited one-and-done (or maybe two-and-done) group of players that get the job done for us before going Pro.

One way or another, Shane is going to have to earn his stripes as a fledgling HC in the next 12 months by fixing what's wrong with our offense.

The biggest problem right now is we don't have an identity as an offensive unit; it seems we cannot make any particular scheme or system consistently work for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed - the portal (and grad transfers like JB) is just a whole new paradigm for potential one-and-done recruits.

There is so much individual greed in play at all levels of college sports right now, that it is pretty ridiculous.

People freaked out when Olympic athletes were first allowed to make paid endorsements, but there's only been a handful of Olympic athletes over the years that have truly been successful doing that.

I hope that Shane makes a player have one or two good seasons here under his belt before going down the NIL route with them.

I also think Shane will be able to get us in a position where you have a limited one-and-done (or maybe two-and-done) group of players that get the job done for us before going Pro.

One way or another, Shane is going to have to earn his stripes as a fledgling HC in the next 12 months by fixing what's wrong with our offense.

The biggest problem right now is we don't have an identity as an offensive unit; it seems we cannot make any particular scheme or system consistently work for us.
100% agree on the greed that has came with the NIL.  While I do believe it has it place in college sports I would like to see it regulated to a degree.  What it currently is as a pay to play system will probably die down in a couple of seasons.  
I also agree that Shane will slow down on the transfer portal as time goes on.  He seems to have the right approach of get players that can help.  At this time we do need instant contributions on the offense to help build an identity.  

Keep an eye out for a potential addition to the QB - we are trying to pull in 4-star Tanner Bailey, who didn't sign and who was an Oregon lean.

Tanner Bailey has quite an arm. I think having Rattler this year elevates the perception of our program to QBs like him.