Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3/4Defense

BigSpur

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
I didn't play football and don't follow the offensive or defensive strategy. At a game I follow the ball; not look to see if a guard is pulling, the fullback blocking, etc. Would someone who is knowledgeable answer this? The new 3/4 we are considering is it because:

1. Our personnel require us to change what has been a successful strategy. (DE shortage)

2. 4/3 is better defense for hurry up offenses.

3. We have better talent at the stand up positions and want to take advantage of it.

How will we play differently in the new defense?

I think all three of the points you brought up are the exact reasons we are going to be using some 3-4.

From listening to Whammy's interviews about the 3-4 he said it is not a switch to the 3-4 but just a scheme we will implement some. Whammy also said that labels for defenses are really just that, a label, and that we already did some 3-4 type things by the use of our Spur position which is essentially a 4th linebacker.

Whatever label one wants to give it, the fact is we don't have the numbers and talent on the DL that we have been used to for the past several years and we've got to compensate. I'm glad Whammy took the initiative to look at working with the talent we have instead of trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

I've also heard the 3-4 is supposed to be more effective against spread, hurry up offenses but Auburn beat Bama and no one runs a better 3-4 than Saban, and our 4-3 defense has done just fine against Clem, so who knows?

Read what they say about us in this "Playoff Contenders" article by ESPNI hope using more 3-4 will cover the areas where we are weak. I don't think the coaches are sure about how effective it will be but at least they are being proactive.

Link: https://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10921258/college-football-enters-new-era-2014-season-four-team-playoff