Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*** #6 USC Baseball (9-2/29-4) @ #4 Vandy (11-1/27-6) Game 1 Thread ***

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash
Carolina travels to Nashville, Tenn., and Hawkins Field for a three-game SEC series with Vanderbilt. The series begins Friday, April 14 at 7 p.m. EDT (6 p.m. CDT). The series continues Saturday, April 15 at 3 p.m. EDT (2 p.m. CDT) and concludes Sunday, April 16 at 2 p.m. EDT (1 p.m. CDT).

All three games will be streamed on SEC Network Plus. All games also will be broadcast on the Gamecocks Sports Network from Learfield with Derek Scott and Tommy Moody on the call.

SERIES VS. VANDERBILT
The Gamecocks have a 61-39 series advantage on Vanderbilt going into the weekend. The Gamecocks won 2-of-3 games over Vandy in Columbia last year. Braylen Wimmer was 3-for-5 with three runs scored and five RBI in the 8-6 series finale win while Will Sanders struck out 11 in seven innings in an 8-2 win in game two.

PROBABLE PITCHING ROTATION
South Carolina
Will Sanders (Jr. RHP) 2-1, 4.72 ERA, 34.1 IP, 12 BB, 41 SO
Vanderbilt Bryce Cunningham (So. RHP) 1-0, 3.20 ERA, 25.1 IP, 11 BB, 27 SO
Saturday
South Carolina
Jack Mahoney (Jr. RHP) 3-0, 3.12 ERA, 40.1 IP, 11 BB, 45 SO
Vanderbilt TBA
Sunday
South Carolina
TBA
Vanderbilt Devin Futrell (So. LHP) 6-1, 2.21 ERA, 40.2 IP, 9 BB, 33 SO

TV: SEC Network+
Radio: 107.5 The Game
Live Stats: StatBroadcast

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyMy8wNC9lZjM4OWNhZS01MThhMTI2Ni5qcGVn.png

Gamecock RHP Nick Proctor on the mound against USC Upstate Tuesday night. Proctor struck out both batters he faced, with two runners on base, to end the 6th inning after relieving Jackson Phipps. (Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyMy8wNC80NDUxOWVhYS01MThhMDg3My5qcGVn.png

Gamecock outfielder Dylan Brewer heads approaches the plate after hitting a homer to left field that put Carolina up 1-0 over USC Upstate in the first inning Tuesday night. (Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)

Last edited:
I sure am excited about this series. If we keep playing like we have, we will prove to everyone just how good this team really is. I mean we made #5 in the polls, but I still hear media talk like we are not ready for this tough SEC competition. Winning this series will also put us real close to winning the SEC East. I know we got to do it again against UF next week but we get them here at home.

I sure am excited about this series. If we keep playing like we have, we will prove to everyone just how good this team really is. I mean we made #5 in the polls, but I still hear media talk like we are not ready for this tough SEC competition. Winning this series will also put us real close to winning the SEC East. I know we got to do it again against UF next week but we get them here at home.
We finally have a competitive baseball team to talk about again. It's nice.

I really thought he had is hand on the bag. Can't believe the replay called him out when the ref right there called him safe.

Yardcocks with the 14-6 win in Game 1.

Box score:

1ST2ND3RD4TH5TH6TH7TH8TH9THRHE
South Carolina20011541014142
Vanderbilt040000200692

Scoring summary:

SOUTH CAROLINAVANDERBILT
South Carolina1stMessina homered to left field, 2 RBI, unearned (0-0); Brewer scored, unearned.
2​
0​
Vanderbilt2ndVastine doubled to right field, advanced to third on a throwing error by 2b, 2 RBI (2-2); Polk scored; Noland scored.
2​
2​
Vanderbilt2ndDiaz doubled down the lf line, 2 RBI (2-1); Bradfield scored; Vastine scored.
2​
4​
South Carolina4thMessina homered to left field, RBI (0-0).
3​
4​
South Carolina5thBraswell homered to left center, RBI (2-1).
4​
4​
South Carolina6thPetry homered to right field, RBI (0-0).
5​
4​
South Carolina6thHornung singled to first base, advanced to second on a throwing error by 2b, RBI (3-2); LeCroy advanced to third; Messina scored.
6​
4​
South Carolina6thBraswell tripled down the rf line, 2 RBI (2-2); Hornung scored; LeCroy scored.
8​
4​
South Carolina6thStone singled to pitcher, bunt, RBI (0-0); Braswell scored.
9​
4​
South Carolina7thLeCroy singled through the left side, 2 RBI (2-2); Casas scored; Petry scored.
11​
4​
South Carolina7thHornung homered to left field, 2 RBI (0-0); LeCroy scored.
13​
4​
Vanderbilt7thSchreck flied out to cf, SF, RBI (0-1); Diaz advanced to second; Bradfield scored.
13​
5​
Vanderbilt7thBulger singled to right center, RBI (1-2); Diaz scored.
13​
6​
South Carolina8thCasas walked, RBI (3-2); Messina advanced to second; Petry advanced to third; Brewer scored.
14​
6​

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyMy8wNC8yNjEzMzQ4ZC0yMDIzXzA0MTRfZ21ja2JzYmxfdmFuZHlhMjU0OC5qcGVn.png

Gamecock RHP Will Sanders (32) on the mound against Vandy Friday night. Sanders earned the win, allowing four runs on five hits with four walks and four strike-outs in five innings of work. (Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyMy8wNC83ZjRlM2U3Mi0yMDIzXzA0MTRfZ21ja2JzYmxfdmFuZHlhMjQyMS5qcGVn.png

Gamecock catcher Cole Messina (19) blasts a homer to left field against Vandy Friday night. The home run also drove in Dylan Brewer, putting Carolina up 2-0 in the 1st inning. (Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)