Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Look at Next Year's (Potential) Squad

doublea1971

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
Just for grins, since there have been three transfer/portal announcements, I thought it might be interesting to review what the Gamecocks Men's Basketball team could look like next year.  Where are our strengths/weaknesses?

First, the Seniors... these are the guys who typically excel in a Frank Martin system because they have had 3 (or more) solid years of development and know the "ins and outs" of Coach Martin's playbook.  Think about the leap in abilities for guys like Chris Silva, Maik Kotsar, Sindarius Thornwell and Duane Notice.  Currently expected to return are:

1.) Justin Minaya - Defensive stalwart.  Was considered the "backbone" of the Gamecocks squad his Sophomore, RS Sophomore and Junior years.  Significant time away from the game most years due to injury (only played in 5 games his Sophomore year - Knee injury, 9 games in his Redshirt Sophomore year - hand injury).  IMHO, the two years away from the game alongside COVID-induced time away from the game in 2020-21 was the culprit for the fall off from his Freshman year play (7.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 26.9 minutes per game/6.3 points and 3.9 rebounds per contest in league play).

• [SIZE= 14px]Justin is a bit of a "wild card" for the 2021-22 'Cocks.  His outside shooting was atrocious in 2021-21, and his defense was a shadow of what it was during prior years.  That being said, I think Justin can be an INCREDIBLY valuable role-player.  He's also coming into his 5th year of time under Frank Martin's system, thanks to the redshirt season.  Typical form for most players is that they excel in their Senior campaign.  In my estimation, Justin will be the same.  The funny thing [/SIZE]about[SIZE= 14px] Justin this past season, which was easy to miss, is that he led the team in rebounding (his total was highest, and he led in both Offensive and Defensive rebounds).  I expect good things from him as a returning upperclassman.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px]2.) [/SIZE]Alanzo Frink[SIZE= 14px] - Undersized Center/BIG dude.  Alanzo's Freshman campaign showed lots of promise, though he got off to a difficult start missing the first 6 games with a knee injury.  His high scoring game that year was against a very good Virginia squad, in which he also pulled down 9 rebounds.  Sophomore year, Frink had 12 starts and averaged 5.3 points, 3.7 rebounds and 0.7 blocks in 14.3 minutes per game, with 7 double [/SIZE]figure[SIZE= 14px] games and one double double.  Went into the Junior season with high fan expectations, but only played in 3 games (late November/early December) and then pulled a mysterious disappearing act... no news as to what his "medical issue" is/was.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE= 14px]Alanzo is a case of "what if".  His ceiling seemed to be quite high going in to the 2020-21 season, but the mysterious "medical issue" put an end to that quickly.  Alanzo has [/SIZE]found himself in and out of Frank's doghouse over the years, but he's a HUGE body... doesn't get pushed around when he's near the basket.  Frink's shooting touch has improved dramatically, so he's gonna get his during game time.  If he improves his FT shooting, I think that Frink can be a force to recon with in his Senior year.  The added benefit of him returning is that it gives time for Leveque and Minott to develop well.  Frink also seems to be a pretty vocal leader on the squad, and can likely help those two develop their game even more.
[SIZE= 14px]3.) Keyshawn Bryant - Human Highlight Reel.  Keyshawn's main selling point each year of his Gamecock career has been his athleticism.  As everyone knows, if Keyshawn gets after the ball on the [/SIZE]offensive[SIZE= 14px] end of the court... watch out rim.  A true "sky walker" in every sense of the word.  His Sophomore year, Keyshawn had a team high 27 dunks on the season (which was actually [/SIZE]DOWN[SIZE= 14px] two from his Freshman year).  His numbers and overall game improved in a strange 2020-21 season (moving from an average of 9/9.5 PPG as a FR/SO to 14.4 PPG).  Keyshawn is currently testing the NBA waters to see what his prospects are.  Most seem to [/SIZE]feel[SIZE= 14px] that he will be back for a strong senior season, benefitting from 4 full years of Frank Martin's offense and defense.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE= 14px]Assuming Keyshawn returns, look out.  This kid has all the tools to REALLY impact the game in his senior year.  He's been working diligently on all aspects of his game, and the one remaining piece is being able to play both to his right and to his left.  Teams have scouted him well and know his tendencies.  If he can work out that portion of his abilities and add that one last tool to his toolbelt... Let's just say I expect Keyshawn to wow in not only the "high flying", but also in the [/SIZE]scoring totals.
[SIZE= 14px]4.) Nathan Nelson - The former walk-on who has proven his value as a role player.  Nate isn't going to play at the next level.  Nate isn't going to beat you with flashy play.  But he WILL give you consistent defensive presence and he is pretty much guaranteed to hit at least ONE three pointer per game if he sees 4 or more minutes on the court (going 6 of 8 on the season in 2020-21, and seeing 7.5 minutes/contest in 14 games).  [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Honorable mention: AJ Lawson.  (I am putting AJ here, because we all know what he's [/SIZE]capable of, and I also expect that he'll find his way into a professional contract of some kind this year).[SIZE= 14px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Now the rising Juniors...[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]This is the class that seemed to be stable... Frank Martin had recruited a large group of guys who came in together as Freshmen, impressed in their Freshmen year, but then covid hit.  Now, we've got three of the 6 in the portal.  Here's what we're left with:[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]1.) [/SIZE]Trey Anderson[SIZE= 14px] - Trey was recruited and known as a "shooter".  Of all of the guys coming in as Freshmen, he was supposed to be the dead-eye three point shooter, with a great touch from within 15 feet.  For one reason or another his Freshman year he didn't see much floor time, so his skillset (which was praised by teammates in practice) wasn't exhibited to the fans.  Enter the Sophomore campaign, and he sees the floor in 13 games, with a start included in the mix.  It seems however, that Trey is not [/SIZE]doing[SIZE= 14px] something right because after the start, Nathan Nelson took playing time away from Trey.  With a "shooter" going 2-8 from behind the arc, and a mere 14 FGs made, there seems to be something amiss.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE= 14px]Honestly, I do not expect Trey to return to the Gamecocks for 2021-22.  I've been saying for quite some time that he's one of the likely candidates for the portal.  I think that Frank Martin gave him opportunities this season to showcase his skillset for exactly that purpose... to encourage Trey moving on by way of the portal.  Should he return, my guess is that he's still mostly a role player/fill-in to give some rest to starters.[/SIZE]
2.) Jermaine Cousinard - The "pit bull" of the Gamecocks squad.  Jermaine began to show himself as a potential scoring machine late in the 2019-20 season (which was his redshirt freshman season, due to the NCAA holding him out as a true freshman).  His stats as a RS Freshman were 30 games with 16 starts, 12.1 PPG, 2.8 rebounds, a team high 3.2 assists and 0.8 steals in 26.0 minutes per game.  Even more impressive was the fact that Jermaine started the final 16 contests of the season (SEC play), averaging a team high 14.8 PPG alongside 2.6 RPG, a team high 3.6 assists and 0.9 steals per contest.  He finished the season with 14 double-figure scoring games in league play.  Jermaine seemed to hit the dreaded Sophomore slump this past year, with his play drastically falling off.

• Jermaine is not the loudest voice on the floor, but I fully expect him to be very disappointed with his year this season and to come back and be the vocal leader that Coach Martin wants him to be.  Even more importantly, I think Jermaine is capable of (and will provide) the ball handling duties and high scoring that we will need from a PG.  Consider Jermaine as the "franchise face" of the Gamecocks (alongside Keyshawn Bryant) of the squad in 2021-22.
3.) Wildens Leveque - "The next Chris Silva".  The hype surrounding Wildens (courtesy of some press quotes from Frank Martin) was that he was a player in the mold of Silva, with a high game IQ, but rough around the edges and a need for polishing.  Wildens Freshman campaign saw him average 2.4 points, 2.6 rebounds and 0.5 blocks in 9.8 minutes per contest.  BUT... he also started coming on strong at the end of the season, with 8 points vs. Arkansas (Jan 29th) and a season high 8 rebounds vs. a VERY good LSU squad (Feb. 22nd). In 2020-21, with the covid-shortened season, he ended the season as the 5th leading scorer on the squad (at 6.1PPG).  His most impressive stat was that he was 2nd in rebounding (behind Justin Minaya) with 101 total, and 4.8 per contest.

• I can be really down on Wildens at times, but overall, I think he could actually live up to the hype and be a player in the mold of Chris Silva.  His progression from his Freshman season to the strange winding road covid put us in during 2020-21 was quite impressive.  I anticipate him being pushed hard to improve his back-to-the-basket play.  If he can develop an off of one shoulder shooting move, the rest of what he does looks good.  Great footwork for a big, good hands for catching the ball, and a great eye for passing... he truly has started to look a bit like Silva at the same point in Silva's career.  If he progresses the same way... look out, we have another NBA prospect on our hands.
And that brings us to the rising Sophomore players, both of whom we know little about...

1.)  Ja'Von Benson and

2.) Tre-Vaughn Minott

I think many fans anticipated seeing a lot more of Javon Benson in 2020-21, but after reading up on his recruiting, it was clear to me that he was recruited for the future.  (His coach actually said in one article I read that he "needed seasoning" to be ready for SEC play).  Benson is a big body, and potentially another bruiser (in the vein of Alanzo Frink) to move into the mix.  But he's a big unknown at this point, and he's also another potential for transfer/appearance in the portal.

Minott, on the other hand, DID begin appearing in games at the end of the season.  It was quite apparent that he was not in game shape, but the upside on him was enormous... he seems to LOVE to take the ball to the hoop, regardless of who he's facing.  He's got a pretty nice shooting touch, and he uses the glass to his advantage.  I have to say that I really like the trio of Frink, Leveque and Minott.  If Frank goes to a taller lineup (with two of those three playing alongside each other - say for instance with Frink at forward and Minott at center, or Leveque at center and Frink at forward), the Gamecocks look very good at the "big" positions.

- - - -

So what does that leave?

Incoming Freshmen and Seventh Woods, who might return under the NCAA covid-season rules.  I'm still a fan of Woods, though he had a disappointing campaign this year.  He would show moments of brilliance and then go two-three games where he couldn't find his brain.  I truly think that he's simply a case of overly high expectations coming out of HS, and then going and playing for one of the "blue blood" programs.  Roy Williams could not say enough nice things about Seventh, but injuries seemed to hamper his time at UNC.  In my estimation, it is what is going on between the ears with Seventh that is holding him back.  Most of the fundamentals of his game are there and being executed well.  It's simply his decision making that is hampering his play.  When he's in the game flow, and not over thinking things... he seems to have those games where the sky is the limit.  It's the assist/turnover ratio that was problematic for Seventh.  Cut down on the turnovers, and his play looks a lot more rosy.  Long story short... I hope he returns to the 'Cocks next year.  We're short-handed at the PG position now, with both Moss and Hannibal leaving for greener pastures.  Seventh Woods brings a LOT of experience and potential for a "break out" season if he returns.

As to the Freshmen, I'm biggest (no pun intended) on Carlous Williams.  He was being courted by some of the well known programs (Ms. State, Baylor, etc.) and has an interesting tool set.  TaQuan Woodley is another interesting prospect, simply because of his decommitment from Penn State and returning to the 'Cocks (who had heavily recruited him along the way), but I've not seen much yet to make me look for a lot from him as a Freshman.  Jacobi Wright and Devin Carter will see some time as Freshmen simply because of the dearth of players at PG/SG right now.

Will Frank Martin see other current Gamecocks hit the portal?  Will he have the opportunity to pull a recruit (or two) from the portal?  That remains to be seen.

I remain optimistic, however, that we have a solid squad returning.  Having 4 rising seniors in the system helps A LOT, especially when one of them is Keyshawn Bryant who has improved his game by leaps and bounds from his "athletic" start as a Freshman.

What are your thoughts/comments?

I don't think Bryant will be drafted by the NBA this year.   If he goes pro, he will play overseas, imo.   If he plays for USC next season, he could be a big star.  If he returns, Bryant will be a starter on the wing, either at SF or 2G.   

I expect Lawson to go pro, but he also could benefit from another year in college.  

If Minaya and Anderson return, I think Frank needs to move them to the wing.  We need more size in the post than either of them give us.  

I am hoping that Frink, Leveque and Minott are on the team next year.   That would be a good trio of post players for us.  All have size and some skill that we very much need.    I would expect them to be our primary post guys with Benson and/or Woodley backing them up.  If that happens, we should be fine in the post.

At the moment, the guard positions have the least depth for next season.  Hopefully Couisnard will be back, probably as the starting PG.   If Lawson leaves, he will be the only experienced guard we have.    Wright will likely play PG as a freshman backing up Jermaine.  If Lawson leaves, Frank could decide to play a bigger lineup by playing Bryant at 2G.  He's not a 3 point shooter, but he can score well inside 16 feet, which will do.   Carter is listed as a combo guard, or a 2G so I would expect him to play a lot at that position.   Without Lawson, we need to acquire another guard, probably a PG.   Couisnard can play 2G as well as PG.  

Some people think there are more transfers to come from our current roster.   If so, then we will have room to take transfers in.   If we have to do that, I hope we can get some who will help us.  Lawson is the only guy that I expect to leave as of now.   We are at 13 scholarship players as of now.  I would not be excited about Seventh Woods playing next year, but if we lose Lawson or Couisnard, his experience might help us.  

Based on the roster as it now stands i  predict the starting lineup next year would be:

PG Couisnard

2G Lawson or Bryant

SF  Bryant or Minaya

PF Frink

C Minott or Leveque

I hope if anyone else is leaving the team that they will inform our coaches soon in order for the coaches to know what they need to recruit.

They’re going to have to pull fans from the stands to fill a team next year. 

I don't think Bryant will be drafted by the NBA this year.   If he goes pro, he will play overseas, imo.   If he plays for USC next season, he could be a big star.  If he returns, Bryant will be a starter on the wing, either at SF or 2G.   

I expect Lawson to go pro, but he also could benefit from another year in college.  

If Minaya and Anderson return, I think Frank needs to move them to the wing.  We need more size in the post than either of them give us.  

I am hoping that Frink, Leveque and Minott are on the team next year.   That would be a good trio of post players for us.  All have size and some skill that we very much need.    I would expect them to be our primary post guys with Benson and/or Woodley backing them up.  If that happens, we should be fine in the post.

At the moment, the guard positions have the least depth for next season.  Hopefully Couisnard will be back, probably as the starting PG.   If Lawson leaves, he will be the only experienced guard we have.    Wright will likely play PG as a freshman backing up Jermaine.  If Lawson leaves, Frank could decide to play a bigger lineup by playing Bryant at 2G.  He's not a 3 point shooter, but he can score well inside 16 feet, which will do.   Carter is listed as a combo guard, or a 2G so I would expect him to play a lot at that position.   Without Lawson, we need to acquire another guard, probably a PG.   Couisnard can play 2G as well as PG.  

Some people think there are more transfers to come from our current roster.   If so, then we will have room to take transfers in.   If we have to do that, I hope we can get some who will help us.  Lawson is the only guy that I expect to leave as of now.   We are at 13 scholarship players as of now.  I would not be excited about Seventh Woods playing next year, but if we lose Lawson or Couisnard, his experience might help us.  

Based on the roster as it now stands i  predict the starting lineup next year would be:

PG Couisnard

2G Lawson or Bryant

SF  Bryant or Minaya

PF Frink

C Minott or Leveque

I hope if anyone else is leaving the team that they will inform our coaches soon in order for the coaches to know what they need to recruit.
Couisnard is exploring the NBA draft.   He says he is not hiring an agent, so all his options remain open.   I don't think this means he will not be on the USC team next season.   He has probably told Frank what his intentions are, I assume, so Frank might know what he can do about recruiting.    So that leaves a decision from Lawson about whether he will go pro, and transfer decisions from others on the roster.

I read where someone who runs a Gamecock sports website has said that Minaya and Woods won't be on scholarship next season, if I understood him correctly.  I was not aware of that regarding Minaya.  So if true, we are at 12 scholarship players right now, so we should be able to get another recruit or transfer, with the possibility of more to come.  

I have read that we are involved with Chico Carter, a PG transferring from Murray St. and a Columbia native.   Does anyone know whether we are involved with Phlandrous Fleming, a Charleston Southern transfer  (All Big South), or Tommy Bruner, another Columbia product who is leaving USC Upstate, and another All Big South player???

Couisnard is exploring the NBA draft.   He says he is not hiring an agent, so all his options remain open.   I don't think this means he will not be on the USC team next season.   He has probably told Frank what his intentions are, I assume, so Frank might know what he can do about recruiting.    So that leaves a decision from Lawson about whether he will go pro, and transfer decisions from others on the roster.

I read where someone who runs a Gamecock sports website has said that Minaya and Woods won't be on scholarship next season, if I understood him correctly.  I was not aware of that regarding Minaya.  So if true, we are at 12 scholarship players right now, so we should be able to get another recruit or transfer, with the possibility of more to come.  
Woods is accurate.  Not sure about Minaya.  You have 5 years to play 4 if you’re on scholarship (barring an appeal to the NCAA, where you can on rare occasion get a 6th year to squeeze in your fourth).  He received a medical redshirt his true Sophomore year, so he would now be headed into his 4th season as a Gamecock.  Unless I’m missing something (which wouldn’t be a first for me). 😂

Woods is accurate.  Not sure about Minaya.  You have 5 years to play 4 if you’re on scholarship (barring an appeal to the NCAA, where you can on rare occasion get a 6th year to squeeze in your fourth).  He received a medical redshirt his true Sophomore year, so he would now be headed into his 4th season as a Gamecock.  Unless I’m missing something (which wouldn’t be a first for me). 😂

Wouldn't everyone have 6 to play 5 in this case due to the covid shutdown last season? I thought the NCAA gave all student-athletes that option. Whether or not the school they play for wants to give them a scholarship for the extra year is another question.....

Wouldn't everyone have 6 to play 5 in this case due to the covid shutdown last season? I thought the NCAA gave all student-athletes that option. Whether or not the school they play for wants to give them a scholarship for the extra year is another question.....
Yes. Since last year was a free year of eligibility, Seventh could come back and play next year. The new covid rules say that he can get financial aid to attend USC, but won't count against the 13 scholarship limit. So, essentially, no matter what he does he won't be considered "on scholarship" for next season.

You bring up a good point about the school not wanting to provide aid for the extra year. I thought I read somewhere that if a player decides to use the free year, that the school can't deny the financial aid and has to pay for it. Also, it sounded like a coach can't decide to not bring a player back. I could very well be wrong about those though. If USC has no choice, it all depends on if Seventh wants to be in college for a 6th year. Personally, I would be done and ready to go. If USC has a choice, it would depend on if Seventh wanted to pay for the extra year himself or if he's ready to move on.

There are still pretty stringent virus lockdowns in Europe.

Not sure why a player would choose to play over there right now.

Couisnard is exploring the NBA draft.

Dear God...I nearly sprayed tea all over my keyboard when I read that.  I think I'll explore it as well if they're that desperate for players.

Dear God...I nearly sprayed tea all over my keyboard when I read that.  I think I'll explore it as well if they're that desperate for players.
I heard that on the radio this morning on my way to work. Nearly drove my truck into a ditch.

I do not think these guys have retained an agent at this point so it sounds like they are wanting to get feedback from league scouts 

That's an interesting post from A'ja.  I had no idea she wanted to transfer out of SC after her freshman year.  Wasn't she conference Freshman of the Year?

Maybe she was just agreeing to the post to get the GIF in?