Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambulance on the field. Allen covering his mouth. Diggs pacing saying, “oh my god”.

It looked like a routine tackle more akin to something you'd see in a neighborhood pick-up game to me.

Just one of those one-in-a-million occurrences with a bad result.

Hopefully the kid recovers okay. I would think his team physicals would be looked at to see if some risk factor was missed. Shoulder pads are so much smaller these days and a lot of players don't even wear knee pads like we used to back in the day.

I think we'll probably see a thorough safety review of this incident.

I am struck that we are seeing both the good and bad side of social media's reaction to Hamlin's horrible injury.

Curious why it was delayed after the hit, BCI that leads to cardiac arrest is very rare, prayers to the family and for his recovery.
Most plausible explanation is commotio cordis, which is essentially a direct hit to the heart when it is in the depolarization phase (t wave) of the heart beat interrupting the electrical signals to the heart causing the heart to go “out of rhythm” (generally Ventricular Tachycardia) This can take a few seconds to take effect explaining how he got up and then fell.

Honestly without seeing the actual rhythm strip at the time it’s hard to tell.

Most plausible explanation is commotio cordis, which is essentially a direct hit to the heart when it is in the depolarization phase (t wave) of the heart beat interrupting the electrical signals to the heart causing the heart to go “out of rhythm” (generally Ventricular Tachycardia) This can take a few seconds to take effect explaining how he got up and then fell.

Honestly without seeing the actual rhythm strip at the time it’s hard to tell.
Thank you!

Hamlin's uncle, Dorrian Glenn, spoke to reporters outside the University of Cincinnati Medical Center on Tuesday night and said his nephew's heart stopped twice, once on the field and again at the hospital, CBS Chicago's Charlie De Mar reported. He also said Hamlin has lung damage and can't breathe on his own. The player had been receiving 100% oxygen from a ventilator but that is down to only 50%, he said.

Agus said approximately 30 cases of commotio cordis occur in the U.S. every year, including among Little League players who get hit in the chest with a ball.

Describing the condition as "a confusion of the heart," where the heart muscle pumps erratically, Agus said the energy of the blow interferes with the electrical signals in the heart, creating a new beat known as ventricular fibrillation — a fast, erratic heartbeat that does not pump blood into the brain. When that happens, Agus said the heart needs to be shocked back into regular rhythm.

"That's why there are defibrillators on the sidelines of games, is to be able to use them to shock the best heart back into a regular rhythm," he said.

Lots of talk about when to finish this game due to playoff implications.

Most folks want to know Hamlin is okay first, but probably more than one football player is now wondering if the same thing could happen to them as well.

This is where the NFLPA earns its money to do what's right for the players. I would assume both the NFL and NCAA will make sure training staff and other first responders have the equipment needed to save a player's life on the sidelines with proper training.

Lots of talk about when to finish this game due to playoff implications.

Most folks want to know Hamlin is okay first, but probably more than one football player is now wondering if the same thing could happen to them as well.

This is where the NFLPA earns its money to do what's right for the players. I would assume both the NFL and NCAA will make sure training staff and other first responders have the equipment needed to save a player's life on the sidelines with proper training.
I thought they all had paramedics standing by on the side lines? Maybe not?

I guess they’ll have to squeeze an extra game since they didn’t finish the game out.

I guess I just assumed they had at least emt’s even high school games usually have an ambulance on standby. They might be re designing the shoulder pads though.

I would go with that one.

damar-hamlin-uncle-gives-update.jpg

Almost looks like he's not wearing any shoulder pads at all.