Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Make Their Own BBQ Hash

dreammachine

Fanatics Cash
I love good old BBQ - Hash & Rice.  That being said, I find that not a lot of places make very good hash & rice in South Carolina anymore or either I am going to the wrong places and I have eaten at just about every BBQ Restaurant in SC - except for the "North-West-Portion-of our state".

Does anyone that loves to cook good BBQ (I am sure that all of your are great cooks) - like to make their own hash & rice?  I have a recipe from a guy in Florence, SC that makes his own version of "South Carolina Red Hash" and it looks great.  I have not made it yet and hopefully as the fall rolls on I will have time one weekend to give this gentleman's recipe a try. 

I would appreciate if anyone of you brave souls have tried or succeeded in making your own hash & rice to please share with us your secrets and how hard was it for you to do.

I've made it a few times. I basically just buy some cheap and somewhat fatty pork like Boston butt or shoulder steaks and add a little bit of cheap cut of beef chuck roast or Shanks steaks and throw them in a cast iron pot with some diced onion, salt and pepper, maybe a little barbecue seasoning, and pour enough water in it to cover everything. I really can't remember what all I put in, I think I'd probably use a good bit of mustard and some apple cider vinegar as well. Then, I just simmer it for like a day, maybe longer, maybe less. simmer it long enough for all of the meat to just break down and Shred apart. Then, if I can't get the texture I want shredding it with a fork or spoon or whisk, I will use an immersion blender to incorporate all of the ingredients. If it's too thin, I'll keep simmering it until it thickens , if it's too thick, then I'll add water.

Grind a Pork loin,Chuck Roast, and a Hand full of chicken livers.Brown with finely chopped onions, celery, and bell pepper.Season with salt and pepper.Add a few tablespoons of Worcestershire.Cover with water and cook low and slow until you get the consistency you’re after.I always add a dollop of my favorite mustard based sauce after I’ve plated.

Grind a Pork loin,Chuck Roast, and a Hand full of chicken livers.Brown with finely chopped onions, celery, and bell pepper.Season with salt and pepper.Add a few tablespoons of Worcestershire.Cover with water and cook low and slow until you get the consistency you’re after.I always add a dollop of my favorite mustard based sauce after I’ve plated.
I have a friend that puts livers in his hash & rice.  Personally, I don't care for it, but I know a lot of people do.  Good to see that you make your own.  I hope to start making my first attempt in a couple of weeks.  I have a recipe from a guy over in Florence, SC and he makes his own "Carolina Red Hash" and it looks pretty good.  I hope mine will turn out as good as his did.

I have a friend that puts livers in his hash & rice.  Personally, I don't care for it, but I know a lot of people do.  Good to see that you make your own.  I hope to start making my first attempt in a couple of weeks.  I have a recipe from a guy over in Florence, SC and he makes his own "Carolina Red Hash" and it looks pretty good.  I hope mine will turn out as good as his did.
I don’t put enough liver in to overpower the hash.Chicken livers are pretty mild.Im not a fan of beef or pork liver.