Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archie Manning details the improvement he has seen from Jake Bentley

ShepCock

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
SEC legend Archie Manning has gotten to know South Carolina QB Jake Bentley quite well over the years. The Gamecocks signal-caller, who took over the starting job as a freshman, is a veteran of the Manning Passing Academy, a camp put on by the Manning family every summer. The elder Manning was at SEC Media Days in Hoover, Alabama this past week to take part in a legends panel. After his press conference, Manning spoke to John Del Bianco of 247Sports about the development he’s seen from Bentley over the years.

“Jake was in his third year. We had this throwing competition the last day called the quarterback challenge. Jake won it,” Manning told Bianco. “It made me feel good to see how excited he was. He had the lead, but had to sweat out these other quarterbacks. The kid from Appalachian State hit all three and they had to do a throw-off. Jake beat him. He’s a great young man.”

When asked about the growth he’s seen from Bentley over three years, Manning went into detail.

“He’s gotten better (year to year),” Manning said. “What they do at our camp is they just throw, but I bring in some college receivers for them and they throw to our camp receivers too. He’s gotten stronger. His mechanics are better. He’s confident. I know he’s a coach’s son. I always thought coach’s sons make good quarterbacks. He’s a great young guy. I really expect him to have a good year.”

But Manning is aware that Bentley can’t be a one-man-band. He said the playmakers surrounding Bentley need to do their part.

“Sometimes fans and all of us compare quarterbacks year to year and kind of forget who he’s playing with and who is helping him,” Manning said. “I assure you, if Jake’s supporting cast can hold up this year, he’ll have a good year. He’s really improved and a good leader. There is no doubt in my mind he’s really respected by his teammates and he’ll battle. I enjoy keeping up with him.”

I hope he is right.  There is a big difference between doing it on the practice field, and doing it on the game field.  I am completely behind him, and hope he blows the doors off.

I am hoping he had some kind of a wake-up call, realized what he needed to adjust, and will really shine this year. We know he has the arm and the pass. Maybe he will get over whatever mental block may have been holding him back.

When you train with the NFL greats like the Manning group, you are reaching for that next level. Time for him to look like the NFL QB we know he can be.

I would think  Archie Manning knows great QBs when he sees them.  :animated-smileys-sport-088:

Seems some cant realize what Archie stated, his WRs and TEs need to quit running bad routes and dropping passes. They also need to block down field. Also, the offensive line needs to do a better job of giving Bentz the time he needs and we also need the running game to improve drastically. Of course in the last 2 to 3 years we have not had the athletes to do the above mentioned. This year we have some of the talent in place to maybe get the laundry list I made above done. We wont be able to get it all done all the time but we should be able to make strides in the right direction to give Jake the support he needs to have a good year.