Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bentley's Inconsistencies Are Timing Based

2k15

Fanatics Cash
I decided to relive the blunder that was the UGA game today, and specifically try to watch how Jake reads his receivers.I'm no coach, but consistently what killed him that game was waiting too long to pass to the open receiver. He would consistently throw the ball to the right receiver who was open, but the problem was he hung on to the ball way too long before attempting the pass, resulting in UGA's DB's being able to come up and bat the ball away as he stared them down. Combine that with our run blocking being awful that game against UGA's defensive line, and we I think that constitutes the majority of why we couldn't put up a fight. Jake's good throws would come when he passed to a guy like Edwards or Deebo, where he did not hesitate making the decision to pass to them. Where he would hang on to the ball too long is when throwing to a TE or one of the more unproven receivers.In a similar vein, Muschamp's recent report from scrimmage says that Jake is holding on to the ball too long. That tells me that our secondary, which, as Muschamp said, is becoming SEC caliber, has learned to consistently read Jake's eyes and beat out his hesitant throws. And a possibility as to why he is becoming so hesitant is that without Deebo, who made our WR corps so electric, he may not have complete trust in his receiving corps to catch the ball. 

If you ask me, I think that's why he struggles in big games. It's not necessarily that he gets anxious and plays worse, I think it's because he can get away with being too late on his throws against bad defenses, but not quality secondaries. That also would explain his struggles (primarily interceptions) in the red zone, too. When the field gets short for him and he needs to fit it inside tighter windows, being late on your throws sets up a lot of 50/50 balls. That's what happened against UVA, for example. His hesitation and staring down the open receiver lead to INT's. I think Jake plays his best football when he is confident in his receiving corps as a whole, and is ready to just lay it all on the line. He was locked in against Clemson this past year, putting full trust in his receivers, and it paid off. A lot of guys made catches that night, and while it was the Deebo show, Jake's ability to get the ball in other receivers' hands helped spread out that Clemson secondary and give us more opportunities through the air. In games where he struggled, like UGA, he would stare down an open receiver (again, unless it were Deebo or Edwards), unsure if he should throw it to them, and when he did, it was already too late.

On the bright side, I am glad that our secondary is finally able to really test Jake, and really compete against our receivers. It will force Jake to trust his receivers more and not think twice about throwing to the open man if he wants to keep his job and find success against talented defenses. If we want to have a shot against anybody good this year, Jake has to play with confidence not only in himself, but against his receivers. I'm rooting for him.

consistently has plagued him so far here at Carolina. Now in his final year can he be consistent. Trends are hard to overcome.

I hope he can overcome it. I am very confident in the team this year, but for me, he is the weak link. I’m hoping $billz is correct in what he says about us not having a passing problem, that it is Muschamp coachspeaking. 

I really like Jake but I'm starting to think he would be much better on the sidelines as a coach. The fact he is a film rat and his understanding of the game is top-notch in my opinion. However, he just doesn't seem to be able to, well, to be consistent. I hope he changes things around this year. I'd like to see him have a fantastic year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong but Jake has made a lot of mistakes and should be accountable. I look at him like I do my golf game. I hit the ball long and I am also a good putter. My iron play over the years has been a little suspect so it puts a lot of pressure on me to hit every tee ball and every putt perfect or close to it.  Now, take Bentz and the offense, if we cant run or block then he or any QB will start forcing passes they shouldn't, resulting in turnovers. I really thing Bentz tries too hard sometimes to cover for all the flaws the entire team, offense and defense , has. 

I mean lets face it, or defense after the injury bug set in could not stop anyone and the whole team including Bentley knew it. So they are walking out on the field feeling we had to score a TD every possession. That is a lot of pressure to put on to a scheme.   

Don't get me wrong but Jake has made a lot of mistakes and should be accountable. I look at him like I do my golf game. I hit the ball long and I am also a good putter. My iron play over the years has been a little suspect so it puts a lot of pressure on me to hit every tee ball and every putt perfect or close to it.  Now, take Bentz and the offense, if we cant run or block then he or any QB will start forcing passes they shouldn't, resulting in turnovers. I really thing Bentz tries too hard sometimes to cover for all the flaws the entire team, offense and defense , has. 

I mean lets face it, or defense after the injury bug set in could not stop anyone and the whole team including Bentley knew it. So they are walking out on the field feeling we had to score a TD every possession. That is a lot of pressure to put on to a scheme.   

That is an absolutely fair, and reasonable explanation.  I can get on board with that.  It's hard to be accurate, and play to the best of your ability, when you have so much pressure on you.  I am very excited to see how the defense improves this year, and I think the rest of the offense should be much better, including the O-line.  So, hopefully, the D can hold teams down a bit, to give Bentley a little breathing room, and the O-line can give him a bit of time, and the receivers can catch.  Also, I do believe the running game is going to be much improved, and that should also be a shot in the arm.

Can August 31 please get here?  I'm dying to see how it all shakes out.

Just don't forget, according to the Mannings', he has improved this off season. "Trends are hard to overcome."

Maybe he found a way to do just that. I really hope after Saturday's scrimmage that coach will be speaking highly of him.