Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best home field advantage in the SEC?

Spur's Addiction

Who is Sergio?
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

The smartest thing South Carolina football ever did was hire Steve Spurrier. Its second-smartest move: Blast “Sandstorm” on the speakers at home games since the late 2000s.

When you think about SEC home-field advantage, maybe the Pride of the Southland playing “Rocky Top” incessantly at Neyland Stadium comes to mind. Or, maybe you think of well-lubricated LSU fans creating a din in Death Valley or Texas A&M’s 12th Man.

Those venues overshadow what’s been the SEC’s most significant home-field advantage for more than a decade: Williams-Brice Stadium.

No team benefits from playing SEC games at home more than South Carolina.

The SEC grew to 14 teams in 2012. Since then, South Carolina is 25-19 in conference home games. Among SEC teams, USC features the largest gap between its home (.568) and road (.326) conference winning percentages. Its home win rate in conference games the past 11 seasons trails only Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida and Auburn.

I really feel this team can be undefeated at home this year. People in Florida and Clemson won't agree with that, but I just feel this team is moving on up and will beat both of them. UGA, UT and A&M will all be tough ones. We may upset a couple of them too.
I just am not comfortable picking the UNC game yet. We should be able to get that upset, but no one knows until we see what Loggains has built. If he has come up with the kind of gameplan he has murmured about, we may blow UNC and others away.

But we saw these guys fall flat on their face some last year. Was that Satterfield's fault? Hope so. It just seemed after the Florida game, maybe Shane got onto him, and things turned around so much better.

I am glad the Furman game will be under the lights. I hope Miss St. will be too. But I hope Florida is a noon time game. That game will be during the State Fair and evening traffic and parking would be murder for a night game. Hopefully all 4 of the November games will be under the lights. It bites that TV gets to decide when we play our games.

This year will be our best chance in some years to upset UGA.
The last 3 years have been ugly, but we did upset them in Athens in 2019 when they were ranked #3 at 5-0 and we were just 2-3.
This year we have a much better team than we had that year. They play UT Martin and Ball State before our game. Hopefully our defense will be way stronger than their new QB is ready to face.

The last 3 years have been ugly, but we did upset them in Athens in 2019 when they were ranked #3 at 5-0 and we were just 2-3.
This year we have a much better team than we had that year. They play UT Martin and Ball State before our game. Hopefully our defense will be way stronger than their new QB is ready to face.
Kirby may just reload, but UGA is probably going to find out the hard way just what scrappy ole Stetson gave them.

He knew when to pass and when to run. You have to do enough of both to know the difference.