Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Green Egg or knock off?

carolina_corpsman

Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Hey yall, I have been grilling on a little propane Weber tailgating grill for the last few years, before that I had gas and charcoal grills, I loved the convenience of gas but the taste of charcoal. I was looking at getting a new grill and saw the CharGriller Akorn and was intrigued. The Kamado Joe and BGE cost significantly more, so are they worth the cost for someone new to that style of grilling? I have read a ton of reviews and it seems like the Akorn takes a bit of practice to control the temps, does anyone have any experience either way? 

Out of those I have only owned the BGE.  Purchased the large size around 15 years ago now and don't recall many competing in that style of cooker back then.   There are tons of accessories for the Kamado which makes it attractive and BGE has started to catch up.  Not familiar with the Akorn but you'll want to compare the weight of them since some of the beauty of these is they hold heat in for longer cooks.  With either,  I'd budget another few $100 to get started.  I probably have an equal amount invested in mine than what it cost me back then.  If you're only grilling and don't plan much more, I really wouldn't sink the money into either.  I still like my gas grill or weber charcoal for basic grilling (burgers, dogs) but will use the BGE mostly for steaks & fish.    All in all I have like my BGE but liken it to buying a Yeti cooler now when there are other options out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree... I have the large BGE as well and I like it but I am not sure it is worth the price.  I have had mine for about 10 years or so and back then there were only a few others to consider.  I will say that if I could go back and re-do it I would have purchased the Primo XL.  I think that I like the shape and the firebox divider better than the BGE/Round kamado style grills.  I think that with these types of grills there is a definite learning curve.  It certainly is not convenient as it take mine at least 30-40 minutes to get the charcoal going to a point I can cook...so to me it should only be in edition of a propane grill unless you have plenty of time

Have an XL BGE and it is great, but like others said I also have a propane grill for quick cooks.  I am not familiar with the Acorn, but can tell you setting the heat on a BGE also requires some practice, but once you figure that portion out it is pretty easy.  There are also cheater temp controllers you can buy for BGE that will monitor temp for you, but they can be pricey.  Not sure you may check and see if that option is available for the Acorn.  One thing I will say about BGE is that they are lifetime warranty and they stand behind their product if you have any issues.  

I have the Akron. It was a hand-me-down from my Brother-in-Law when they moved to Germany a couple of years ago. I love it and it has been great. I have never used a BGE so I can't compare to it. My understanding is that the BGE is ceramic. Akorn saves on cost and weight by using double walled metal with insulation. So I'm sure side-by-side the BGE would probably be better, But for the price (which for me was FREE) it's perfect. 

I did have to get used to the temp control a bit the first few times I used it. I find that having a good temp probe with bluetooth really helps. I can go about my day around the house and monitor the temp on my phone. I'll go out and make slight adjustments to the vents maybe every 30-60 minutes. And can keep it going all day long within the needed temp range. I fire up a chimney's worth of charcoal first thing in the morning, wait until the temp comes into range, add the wood chunks, and then put on the meat (pork shoulder or whatever) and just let it ride until it's done. I don't open the lid until it's done. Just adjusting the vents every now and then. And after everything's done, close the vents and the coals go out and there is leftover coal for the next session. 

I have done BBQ smoking of several pork shoulders, ribs, beef brisket, chicken. Also use it as a charcoal grill for regular stuff like burgers, wings, chicken, salmons, steak etc. I probably use it about once a week.

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like its not ideal as an "only grill" but a good accessory. We usually grill 3-4 nights a week in the summer so I think propane may be a better option. I still would like to get one as a weekend toy, thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like its not ideal as an "only grill" but a good accessory. We usually grill 3-4 nights a week in the summer so I think propane may be a better option. I still would like to get one as a weekend toy, thanks!
Yeah if you are looking for something you can preheat for 10 minutes and throw some meat on there for a quick dinner, gas is the way to go. The Akron does great as a charcoal grill, but as with any charcoal, you have to plan ahead and get the coals going ahead of time. 

I have a gas/charcoal combo grill to go along with my Bradley smoker.   Gives me the best of all worlds.

I think that a good gas grill is the best place to start...I would invest in a good one.  I have always had weber genesis...my first lasted 15+ years with only replacing the grates and my second one is 3 years and counting...they are on sale at lowe's at least once/year.  PRior to those I had cheap grills that I always had to replace yearly

my next purchase may be an outdoor griddle

I think that a good gas grill is the best place to start...I would invest in a good one.  I have always had weber genesis...my first lasted 15+ years with only replacing the grates and my second one is 3 years and counting...they are on sale at lowe's at least once/year.  PRior to those I had cheap grills that I always had to replace yearly

my next purchase may be an outdoor griddle
I was actually looking at picking up the Genesis 3 burner at Ace, they have $50 off right now. I think it is the SP 335 but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the advice, I ended up getting the Weber SP 325 gasser, ace had it for $50 off. I happened to see a Weber Kettle grill with a cover for $50 on the market place so I will have a charcoal option as well for the weekends and occasionally smoking. 

So, Weber cancelled my order (i guess they are having trouble fulfilling orders) so I have still been on the lookout. I snagged a Weber summit 670 for a few hundred bucks. Needs some cleaning and a few parts need to be replaced, anybody have any experience rehabbing a weber?

So, Weber cancelled my order (i guess they are having trouble fulfilling orders) so I have still been on the lookout. I snagged a Weber summit 670 for a few hundred bucks. Needs some cleaning and a few parts need to be replaced, anybody have any experience rehabbing a weber?
I have...easy to get the parts and they are not too hard to at least when I worked on my genesis...they make a great product

I have...easy to get the parts and they are not too hard to at least when I worked on my genesis...they make a great product
Im hoping to claim some of the items under warranty, if that doesn't work Ill need to buy some parts. The bottom plate is rusted out which seems to be about $100, and I am guessing some of the burners will need to be replaced other than that, it appears to be in good shape.  6 burners, sear station, smoke box, rotisserie, and a side burner. 

I have had a Grill Dome for 20 years and it has been fabulous. It is another brand of Kamado grill anyone looking to buy one should consider.