Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Booker Pickett could give Gamecocks a second terror at the defensive end

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Booker Pickett could give Gamecocks a second terror at the defensive end​

SPORTSTALK / August 10, 2023
1691665269115.pngUSC fans remember fondly the pass-rushing tandem of Jadeveon Clowney and Devin Taylor. They were teammates in 2011 and 2012 and in those two seasons combined for 30 sacks and 52.5 tackles for loss. In their 2024 class, the Gamecocks have a commitment from perhaps the top defensive end in the nation in Dylan Stewart, and they would love to pair him with Booker Pickett.

Pickett is out of Tampa and last season he had 30 sacks along with 56 total tackles. The previous season he had 22 sacks. USC defensive ends coach Sterling Lucas has the Gamecocks in Pickett’s final five along with Miami, Florida State, Georgia, and Ohio State.

“The relationships I’ve got with the coaches, and I like the way they are heading,” Pickett said of some reasons he has USC on his shortlist. “I like to see great things coming the next few years from them. They said they need pass rushers, so I fit in perfectly. They told me they like my aggression, my get-off, and all that. Everything I need to be an edge rusher, they love it.”

Pickett camped at USC in the summer of 2022, and that’s where he and Lucas first got to know one another.

“I like him a lot. He’s a character,” Pickett said. “He coached me up a little bit when I went up there. Overall, he’s a great guy. liked it up there. I really didn’t get to see too much, but overall, it was a great experience hanging out with the coaches. I will be taking an OV (official visit). I think he was talking about October 22nd maybe. I think that’s what he said.”

Based on when Pickett is planning to commit, it’s possible the Gamecocks will get that all-important final visit in late October. He plans to see all five schools one more time before making his decision.