Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOT drama

What an embarrassing mess of corruption and ineptitude. If Harpootlian is the smartest and most reasonable in the room then you know we're in trouble. Maybe he can donate some of that Murdaugh $$$$$ he's getting paid and help us out.

"The trustees are all incumbents and have no opposition for reelection" Says a lot
“This place sucks so bad,” Caslen wrote. “I don’t know how anyone can stand it." - Was Caslen right?
“I’m struggling to understand why the athletic department is so bereft of funds.” - Put this on RT and the Muschamp contract and whomever else approved it.
“Shouldn't we fire y'all like we did Muschamp and Frank Martin? Certainly your buyout is a lot cheaper," Harpootlian said BINGO!
“Clemson’s board is a great example of how a good board operates,” Yet another thing they have going for them.
“The president is supposed to run the entity day to day and the board is supposed to provide guidelines… I am not sure who’s running it right now.”

Last edited:
"The hearing also revealed the university's athletic department was so strapped for cash after COVID-19 took a $40 million chunk from its budget that it had to borrow $10 million from the school's general fund to pay off a nearly $13 million buyout to football coach Will Muschamp. That stunned lawmakers, who had been told for decades that athletics pays for itself.

Finlay saying, “Their funding is supposed to come from ticket sales and tv revenue… it’s supposed to be its own discreet funds.”

Going on to say, “I’m struggling to understand why the athletic department is so bereft of funds.”

Earlier this month, the school fired men's basketball coach Frank Martin and will pay him $3 million not to coach.

“Shouldn't we fire y'all like we did Muschamp and Frank Martin? Certainly your buyout is a lot cheaper," Harpootlian said."

It would have been easier financially just to keep Will and Frank for another respective season.

I still believe an AD shares some responsibility in keeping his/her programs competitive, too. You can't keep going into the red because you're not bringing in enough ticket revenue during chronically bad seasons, either.

From that standpoint, our AD put the BoT over a barrel, and created part of the problem as well.

these buyouts were for contracts under the watch of the current AD...it is time to clean house not only for the BOT but also the AD

I will still never understand giving long term extensions to coaches that have not proven themselves as well as not being pursued by others

"The hearing also revealed the university's athletic department was so strapped for cash after COVID-19 took a $40 million chunk from its budget that it had to borrow $10 million from the school's general fund to pay off a nearly $13 million buyout to football coach Will Muschamp. That stunned lawmakers, who had been told for decades that athletics pays for itself.

Finlay saying, “Their funding is supposed to come from ticket sales and tv revenue… it’s supposed to be its own discreet funds.”

Going on to say, “I’m struggling to understand why the athletic department is so bereft of funds.”

Earlier this month, the school fired men's basketball coach Frank Martin and will pay him $3 million not to coach.

“Shouldn't we fire y'all like we did Muschamp and Frank Martin? Certainly your buyout is a lot cheaper," Harpootlian said."

It would have been easier financially just to keep Will and Frank for another respective season.

I still believe an AD shares some responsibility in keeping his/her programs competitive, too. You can't keep going into the red because you're not bringing in enough ticket revenue during chronically bad seasons, either.

From that standpoint, our AD put the BoT over a barrel, and created part of the problem as well.
Rumor was, though, that the board was who wanted Frank gone this year. Ray wanted to give another year(?)

I am sure ole Clemson boy Harpootlian will try to make things even worse than they are.
I was in hopes we already are at the bottom and starting the way back up. But who knows. Stay tuned I guess.

O

Oh I misunderstood. You mentioned Harpootlian and being the smartest in the room.
Yeah he’s just a d bag politician/ lawyer doing the questioning. Low country colonel sanders type. He’s also tied in with the Murdaughs. They’re USC folk, or what’s left of them.

Sounds to me like a lot of wealthy people in a power struggle. Maybe we should have some working class folks on the BOT and take a look at how other Universities BOT operate. As far as the buyouts go. This is all a part of big program sports these days. You are not going to attract a potentially high caliber coach without a buyout on their contract. You can look across the college landscape and all power 5 programs are paying big buyouts when they fire a coach. I would bet that many of them had to use University monies to make some of the buyouts over the last year or so, but there should be and probably is some plan to re-pay those funds to the schools. This does not mean I think Ray Tanner has done a good job, I just think the buyout stuff is way overblown.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like a lot of wealthy people in a power struggle. Maybe we should have some working class folks on the BOT and take a look at how other Universities BOT operate. As far as the buyouts go. This is all a part of big program sports these days. You are not going to attract a potentially high caliber coach without a buyout on their contract. You can look across the college landscape and all power 5 programs are paying big buyouts when they fire a coach. I would bet that many of them had to use University monies to make some of the buyouts over the last year or so, but there should be and probably is some plan to re-pay those funds to the schools. This does not mean I think Ray Tanner has done a good job, I just think the buyout stuff is way overblown.
I concur.