Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Upshaw has a plan for getting back into a Gamecocks uniform

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Cameron Upshaw has a plan for getting back into a Gamecocks uniform​

SPORTSTALK / May 23, 2023

SAF Cameron Upshaw had high hopes of contributing at USC as a freshman this coming season. The Gamecocks won the recruiting battle for the Perry, FL native last summer fending off Florida State Arkansas and Nebraska. He enrolled in January and went right to work preparing for the coming season.

But Upshaw won’t be with the Gamecocks in 2023. He said Monday night he has signed with Garden City JC, KS with plans for returning to USC in January, with the blessings of Gamecock head coach Shane Beamer.

Upshaw was one of three Gamecock players suspended from school after a weapon was discovered in their dorm. Upshaw was not charged with a crime in the case, but his involvement with the situation was enough for the University to take action.

“I just want to show the world that what happened isn’t a reflection of my character so you can expect to see me doing a lot of giving back soon,” Upshaw said.

Going the junior college route for one season will allow Upshaw the opportunity to work on his skills and come back to USC as a more mature and more prepared player. He felt it was the best route for him to take.

“Just an opportunity to grow on and off the field,” Upshaw said. “I know the coaches out there personally and I know they’ll take good care of me while I’m there. It’s also a move I made so I won’t be just sitting around this year. I’ll be able to play and won’t come back beat up and out of shape. The biggest thing for me right now is just growth. I want to grow in all aspects of life and mature to be a better person for myself and others around me. And I’ll have experience under my belt so I can hit the ground running and not look back when it’s time to go back in January.”

CB Anthony Rose and DE Monteque Rhames were the other two players involved and were charged in the case. Rose has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal. Rhames is also considering going the junior college route for 2023.