Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we beat UCONN this time around?

Can we beat UCONN on Monday night at the CLA?

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We don't have a great record against them, but I think Dawn finally has the team to change all that. It all goes back to recruiting. Dawn recruited Boston from Mass. Stole her right away from UConn and look at how big a part of our team she is. And Dawn is on track for a couple more big time players this year too. I like what the announcers said tonight. Practically every girl we have not starting, could be a starter at any other school. They said our bench is by far the strongest  of any women's team. That is why, even when one player has to sit, we still have huge talent on the court.

I think we beat them and don't even let it really get close.

We beat both the #22 and #25 teams by 21 points. We only got Maryland by 9 when they were #4 so we might only beat UConn by about that much but I got a feeling Dawn is going to want to go wide open and blow them out.

This is the first game against UConn that I actually feel good about.  I really hope this is the year that Dawn gets to lay some wood against Geno.

I think psychologically it would be a big hurdle cleared, to defeat the best program in women's basketball...at least for the fans.  This team is so young, they may not be aware of the intimidation factor that the UConn program has within the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe we will win; it does not matter to me the spread as the win should cement a #1 seed for March Madness.  UCONN does not have the bigs or a bench to compete w/us.  The key is neutralizing Walker with either Queen Brea or Kiki all over her; protecting the paint against the dribble drive; and either minimizing or eliminating the 3 by Dangerfield who has laid it on us in the past.  I don’t think ONO can compete size or capability wise w/Boston as we should get her in foul trouble & send their big to the bench like we did to Baylor.  Stay out of foul trouble & minimize the OTs.  W/CLA packed to the roof, victory is ours!  GO COCKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to see three games live this year while visiting family...and I gotta say that I'm feeling pretty damn good about it.

Overall Connecticut has been to the Final Four each year for 12 years, But South Carolina has played for and won a national championship since the Huskies last did, and we have players in Harris and Herbert-Harrigan who know what that's like, while strangely Connecticut does not have any on their roster who can say the same.

CT has played against 4 top 25 opponents thus far this season, and they are 2-2. We have played 9 such opponents, and we are 8-1 against them.

CT has played against 3 of the top 10 Scoring Offenses in WCBB thus far this season - they in fact happen to be the top 3 (#1 Oregon, #2 Baylor, #3 DePaul) and are 1-2. We have the #4-ranked scoring offense. Coincidentally, all 3 of those teams scored 74 points each in their games - Oregon and Baylor won, DePaul lost in a tight game by just 10 pts.

South Carolina has played 6 games against 5 of the top 10 Scoring Offenses - #2 Baylor, #5 Arkansas (twice), #7 Maryland, #8 South Dakota, and #10 Mississippi State - and are 6-0 in them.

Against top 25 opponents, we averaged 77.0 ppg allowing 65.6 ppg for the opponents. CT averaged 64.5 ppg, allowing 66.8 ppg for the opponents.

Against top 10 Scoring Offenses, we allowed 66.5 ppg and 161-420 (38.3%) shooting from the field. CT allowed 74.0 ppg and 86-198 (43.4%) shooting.

On paper, it seems like we have the better performing team. It also seems our team is the more talented, and the deeper team between the two. I still feel that Auriemma is the better coach and has the better staff between the two at preparing their team to execute the gameplan, and in making adjustments for 2nd-halves of tightly contested games, but again this is why we play the games.

I still feel this is our best chance yet under Coach Staley - we brought another team that had the best talent of the series during the NC year with Wilson, Coates, Davis and Gray, but that CT team was a more talented and deeper - and just as importantly a more confident team - than what comes in to Colonial Life tomorrow.....