Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Closed Restaurants

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Over the years restaurants close down, especially a few years back. What’s the 2 or 3 restaurants you wished you could eat at today that no longer exist?

I miss the Shrimper really miss the popcorn shrimp where the best for their popcorn shrimp.

Jackson's Cafe -  (Buffet). A little of everything. W Columbia, SC

Pizza House - Best Lasagne.  W Columbia, SC

Capital Cafe - Main St Columbia, SC (Open Roast Beef Sandwich)

Lighthouse Seafood Buffet, On the river, Cayce, SC

New Orleans restaurant on the river, W Columbia (New Orleans style)

NO restaurants on the River at all now. Enjoyed the view while eating.

Last edited:
Buck's Pizza.
They were a small chain of pizza joints, each independently owned across the Low Country area. I think there may still be one or two around out there somewhere, but I'm not sure. I worked at the one in Hampton, and I miss the food there so much. Hand tossed pizza, oven baked hoagies, strombolis,  wings and breadsticks. I think what I miss the most is the cheddar, bacon, and steak strombolis. I've tried making them at home, but it's tough to get that dough just right.

There is still a Buck's in Charleston in the West Ashley area.  Carolina's in downtown Charleston is one that I really miss.

That's a little far to go for some pizza, but it's good to know there are some still out there. The one in Hampton suffered from piss-poor management and some less than stellar employees from the start. (That includes me.) Surprisingly it lasted almost 5 years before going belly up.

That's a little far to go for some pizza, but it's good to know there are some still out there. The one in Hampton suffered from piss-poor management and some less than stellar employees from the start. (That includes me.) Surprisingly it lasted almost 5 years before going belly up.
Had never gone to a Domino's. Went twice this year - very pleased and surprised!

Platt Springs Rd, w Columbia.sc location. 

Buck's Pizza.
They were a small chain of pizza joints, each independently owned across the Low Country area. I think there may still be one or two around out there somewhere, but I'm not sure. I worked at the one in Hampton, and I miss the food there so much. Hand tossed pizza, oven baked hoagies, strombolis,  wings and breadsticks. I think what I miss the most is the cheddar, bacon, and steak strombolis. I've tried making them at home, but it's tough to get that dough just right.
There's one here in Lexington. Unfortunately, I am outside of their delivery radius. But it is not too far to drive.

I miss the Bird, across Main Street from the physical science building at USC.

It was a greasy spoon kind of place, but great fried chicken!

My wife and I both miss the Steak and Ale restaurants from Columbia.  We were able to go to the ones in the Upstate and Hotlanta before they disappeared forever.

Also, for the money you couldn't beat Duff's Smorgasbord.  I'd like to eat there one more time.

Duff's was in Charleston.  Really good buffet. What was neat was the rotating bar. I also miss Casey Hilliard's.

There was one in Spartanburg when I was growing up there.

I want to say there was one on St. Andrews road at one point too, but that might not be right.
There was, next to where the Comedy House used to be (St. Andrews).. we always went to the Forest Drive location.

How about Po Folks?  We used to eat there at least once a week, when I was younger. 

I think there are one or two still open somewhere. 

Pappy's, used to be across the street from Snowdon at the corner of S Main and Blossom. Had the John Wayne burger and the Poor Man's Martini (a pitcher of ice cold Bud and a huge olive). I burnt a lot of Benjamins watching old films on his projection TV!

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I both miss the Steak and Ale restaurants from Columbia.  We were able to go to the ones in the Upstate and Hotlanta before they disappeared forever.
Unfortunately the location on Forest Drive was HORRIBLE! Ate there twice thinking it was a bad night for the chef but the next time was worse.

Buck's Pizza.
There is one in West Ashley, never tried it, but I have been meaning to. Maybe for the Bama game I'll grab one from them.