Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

It's also easy to forget the status of hospitals & health care workers who were on the front lines.
If I can take a shot that may keep me out of the ICU, then it seemed the responsible thing to do.
Yeah I think people forget that early on in Italy and NY all of the hospitals were overwhelmed. And they brought in refrigerated trailers to store the dead bodies that were piling on so fast.

At the time very little was known. So that is one of the reasons the guidance kept changing as we learned more and more.

There is a difference between being concerned about the vaccine side effects and making an educated decision about it with input from your doctor, vs. reading and believing all the misinformation, crackpot theories that are out there about the vaccine and the virus, becasue ytou heard it on some podcast or saw a facebook post about vaccines contaning a microchip or what have you. And people like Aaron Rodgers claiming he was 'immunized' because he took some kind of half baked concoction.

Vaccines in general work by achieving heard immunity, so you are not just vaccinating yourself, but it also protects society at large. So people that have real medical condition, ( or infants / toddlers) that prevent them for getting vaccianted, are still protected, becasue most everyone around them is vaccinated. Also the more people that are vaccinated (or have been exposed to the virus) globally reduce the chances of the virus mutating into more severe versions.
what was blown off as crackpot theories (some but certainly not all) are somewhat being proven true...obviously I was a big believer in vaccines but in this case they did not do what they thought they would do...they also finally conceded that they provided less immunity than getting the virus. We would have had herd immunity much sooner had we vaccinated the vulnerable and gone on with life

Yeah I think people forget that early on in Italy and NY all of the hospitals were overwhelmed. And they brought in refrigerated trailers to store the dead bodies that were piling on so fast.

At the time very little was known. So that is one of the reasons the guidance kept changing as we learned more and more.
I would contend that the more we learned we less we changed...heck some schools are still recommending masking

We did try to flatten the curve...the vulnerable in NY and Italy were definitely impacted...what still baffles me to this day is why they used rules for urban areas and then turned around and applied it to rural areas

This all being said, I really find it fascinating to see the fallout from this pandemic as we go forward...I think it came at a time when hyperpartisan politics as at a fever pitch and probably led to many fatalities as well as people losing their livlihoods etc

....I think it came at a time when hyperpartisan politics as at a fever pitch and probably led to many fatalities as well as people losing their livlihoods etc
All my friends who lost family members: none of them were vaxxed. I know for sure at least one of them was anti-vax.

Let's not forget some of those (5) "conservative/anti-vaxxer" talk show hosts who died of the CV. 😳

This link is to a paywall site, but it shows the date. Might find more info elsewhere.

I would contend that the more we learned we less we changed...heck some schools are still recommending masking

We did try to flatten the curve...the vulnerable in NY and Italy were definitely impacted...what still baffles me to this day is why they used rules for urban areas and then turned around and applied it to rural areas

This all being said, I really find it fascinating to see the fallout from this pandemic as we go forward...I think it came at a time when hyperpartisan politics as at a fever pitch and probably led to many fatalities as well as people losing their livlihoods etc

It's not something most people would think about, but what about the real estate market.

Lots of property owners who likely died expectedly due to Covid before they were able to transition to assisted living/nursing home care.

No telling how big the "bulge" of pandemic-death properties tied up in probate court before they should have been will be.

All my friends who lost family members: none of them were vaxxed. I know for sure at least one of them was anti-vax.

Let's not forget some of those (5) "conservative/anti-vaxxer" talk show hosts who died of the CV. 😳

This link is to a paywall site, but it shows the date. Might find more info elsewhere.

But I knew 4 friends who lost family members that were vaxxed. I don't mean to sound anti-vax, because I did get the vax, I also personally know several people that got vaxxed and later still caught covid myself included. And I know several people that caught it, did not get vaxxed and never caught it again.

I am just saying the VAX did not do anywhere near what we expected a vax to do.

Basically, I think scientist still don't really even understand Covid. They were unable to develop a Vax that works. They saw a little bit in the lab and jumped to conclusions. FDA never did full testing on any of it. They just rushed to try and slow it down. Today people still have side effects from having Covid and people still have side effects from the Vax.

People talk about the lab leak. I think a scientist working in the lab accidentally took it home with themselves and then went to the busy market before they realized they had symptoms and it started spreading like crazy.

I really hate that US taxpayer money was funding that kind of research. Thank Dr. Fauci for that.

But I knew 4 friends who lost family members that were vaxxed. I don't mean to sound anti-vax, because I did get the vax, I also personally know several people that got vaxxed and later still caught covid myself included. And I know several people that caught it, did not get vaxxed and never caught it again.

I am just saying the VAX did not do anywhere near what we expected a vax to do.

Basically, I think scientist still don't really even understand Covid. They were unable to develop a Vax that works. They saw a little bit in the lab and jumped to conclusions. FDA never did full testing on any of it. They just rushed to try and slow it down. Today people still have side effects from having Covid and people still have side effects from the Vax.

People talk about the lab leak. I think a scientist working in the lab accidentally took it home with themselves and then went to the busy market before they realized they had symptoms and it started spreading like crazy.

I really hate that US taxpayer money was funding that kind of research. Thank Dr. Fauci for that.
Vaccines were not proven to prevent infection, but showed significant protection against hospitalization and death. From that standpoint it was a tremendous success. And as the virus mutated, the vaccines became less effective against the newer strains. I think without the vaccines, It would have taken far longer to get to where we are today.

The FDA did do full testing on the vaccines and they have been all fully authorized. The initial rollout was approved via emergency use authorization, which was done on a smaller data set, but fuill testing was subesquetnly compelted and the vaccines are now fully approved per normal FDA procedures for any medication.

What people still have side effects from the vaccines (Except for a sore arm, and a day or two of not feeling great)

Have no idea about the lab leak theory. It's certainly plausible. Not sure we will ever really know unless the Chinese come clean with their information (unlikely anytime soon).

Vaccines were not proven to prevent infection, but showed significant protection against hospitalization and death. From that standpoint it was a tremendous success. And as the virus mutated, the vaccines became less effective against the newer strains. I think without the vaccines, It would have taken far longer to get to where we are today.

The FDA did do full testing on the vaccines and they have been all fully authorized. The initial rollout was approved via emergency use authorization, which was done on a smaller data set, but fuill testing was subesquetnly compelted and the vaccines are now fully approved per normal FDA procedures for any medication.

What people still have side effects from the vaccines (Except for a sore arm, and a day or two of not feeling great)

Have no idea about the lab leak theory. It's certainly plausible. Not sure we will ever really know unless the Chinese come clean with their information (unlikely anytime soon).
An entire interview on the "Long" symptoms from Covid.
Like I said, scientist really have no clue, but several feel these Long symptoms could be result of vaccines too. They just have no way of knowing for sure.

I think Aiken is referring to the rare side effects: myocarditis and pericarditis. Additionally, blood clots are an at risk issue with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, especially for women between the ages 30-49. Additionally there is a risk, same as with any vaccine, for people who are allergic to the vax's ingrediants.

The COVID vaccines were originally FDA approved for EUA (emergency use application). The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have since met FDA approval; however, the Johnson and Johnson vaccine has not met full FDA approval because of the blood clot issue, and is recommended for only limited use.

Note: sorry, Aiken, you posted while I was trying to answer, also. Hopefully, I didn't mis-speak for you.

Vaccines were not proven to prevent infection, but showed significant protection against hospitalization and death.
And there were efficacy levels posted where it was known from the start that they would offer limited effectiveness for some people.
I read where some people needed up to 6 tries to achieve immunity in some Hepatitis situations.
While some people allegedly already had immunity to the CV due to previous sicknesses that gave them a measure of immunity.

There were also discussions of initially giving 3 doses (instead of the 2) to achieve immunity & that the booster was actually the 3rd dose. If people didn't get the booster, they may not have gotten the level of immunity intended.

Last edited:
But I knew 4 friends who lost family members that were vaxxed.
But to what degree? How long after vax did they get exposesd? How many shots? Where the shots given before some of the later variants/mutations (Alpha/Delta?Omicron)?
See....there are so many variables in this when trying to determine what level of immunity those people got from what kinds of shots and how many.

We’re in for round two in our family. My son started getting sick Thursday. Stayed home from school Friday. I started getting symptoms during the day Friday. We both tested positive Friday night. My son had fever of 102.8 sat. I felt like crap for 3 days. He’s doing better now and I’m turning the corner. Now my daughter and wife are coming down with it.

Stay safe out there guys. Another wave is here. Know several folks that have had it the past 2-3 weeks. After things have been pretty quite for about a year or so.

We’re in for round two in our family. My son started getting sick Thursday. Stayed home from school Friday. I started getting symptoms during the day Friday. We both tested positive Friday night. My son had fever of 102.8 sat. I felt like crap for 3 days. He’s doing better now and I’m turning the corner. Now my daughter and wife are coming down with it.

Stay safe out there guys. Another wave is here. Know several folks that have had it the past 2-3 weeks. After things have been pretty quite for about a year or so.
facepalm-raven-simone.gif

Sorry to hear this SA. Glad to hear both you and your son are starting to feel better, hoping your wife and daughter have just a mild case. Best of health to you.

Sorry to hear that. I think it is here to stay much like the flu. Now more than ever as a country we need to focus on healthier lifestyles. Proper nutrition and physical fitness give you best odds of dealing with these things. For those with compromised systems they need to be smart in their daily activities etc.