Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dawn's dress code

AikenGameFan

GCF VIP Member
Fanatics Cash
Just wondering, How come we never see Dawn Staley wear any kind of Carolina clothes.
As far as I have seen, all the other coaches in every other sport wear Carolina gear. But I have never seen Dawn wear anything Carolina. Maybe it is a set tradition for her. Does anyone know?
I know she has worn Eagles stuff before. That is her favorite NFL team. And she wore a shirt to commemorate that HBCU team. But I have never seen her wear anything Carolina. Not even in the commercials she has done on TV.
Are you curious too?

I don't think national commercials will allow a coach to wear university gear. The brand can't be thought of as showing favoritism to a particular institution. For example, in the Aflac commercials neither Saban nor Sanders are wearing their school's gear. Saban has worn some jackets that match Alabama's crimson color, but they don't have any Alabama logos or anything on them. In her commercials with Coach K, he's not wearing Duke gear.

On the sidelines, I think she has seen that she can send a powerful message with her wardrobe choices. Whether supporting HBCU or Brittney Griner or whatever else, she can draw attention to the topic. While I might not agree with every statement, I don't really have any problems with this.

Off the court, at least in public, I think she wears a good bit of Carolina gear. You'll see fans post pictures with her on Twitter or insta and she's usually wearing a Carolina shirt, hat, or both.

Last edited:
I don't think national commercials will allow a coach to wear university gear. The brand can't be thought of as showing favoritism to a particular institution. For example, in the Aflac commercials neither Saban nor Sanders are wearing their school's gear. Saban has worn some jackets that match Alabama's crimson color, but they don't have any Alabama logos or anything on them. In her commercials with Coach K, he's not wearing Duke gear.

On the sidelines, I think she has seen that she can send a powerful message with her wardrobe choices. Whether supporting HBCU or Brittney Griner or whatever else, she can draw attention to the topic. While I might not agree with every statement, I don't really have any problems with this.

Off the court, at least in public, I think she wears a good bit of Carolina gear. You'll see fans post pictures with her on Twitter or insta and she's usually wearing a Carolina shirt, hat, or both.
I've seen her several times on the Cayce/West Columbia river walk with her dog champ. She was wearing GC shirts/sweatshirts every time I've seen her. I don't care what she wears as long as she's winning at this level.

And, at least she hasn't worn anything like Kim Mulkey did when LSU played Utah...

Kim-Mulkey1.jpg

Word.

It is good to know she does wear GC items some. I would almost rather she not change court side if it hindered her style. I was just curious as to if there was a reason. Maybe Lamont needs to try wearing plain clothes.

I would bet she has something GAMECOCK on, she was wearing GAMECOCK gear cutting the nets and accepting the trophy... I've seen her on the sidelines in a Gamecock hoodie a few times...

She has worn either black or white outfits most of the time and Frank used to wear garnet suits or sport jackets at the home games. Maybe a tie with the Gamecock logo on it occasionally. I like Lamont's look, too.

Dawn is a little dynamo. She is going to have some style one way or the other. I have no opinion one way or the other.

I hear folks talk about this some but they’re mostly opposing teams and rivals so I pay it no mind. Figure they have to look for something. I don’t agree with everything she says sometimes but I have never put a thought into her wardrobe. Can’t argue with her success and she definitely knows more about recruiting talented players, coaching them and getting them all to sacrifice for the greater good. All seem to do it the right way. Definition of a TEAM. There was an article online today, I think on SI, where they discussed the organization and efficiency at which SC gets the ladder up and who cuts what strings to take the nets down. Srs all cut a diamond, the rest just a string. That was pretty indicative of the rest of her program.

Yea, there's a few pics with here in USC gear on the sidelines.

Last edited:
Just wondering, How come we never see Dawn Staley wear any kind of Carolina clothes.
As far as I have seen, all the other coaches in every other sport wear Carolina gear. But I have never seen Dawn wear anything Carolina. Maybe it is a set tradition for her. Does anyone know?
I know she has worn Eagles stuff before. That is her favorite NFL team. And she wore a shirt to commemorate that HBCU team. But I have never seen her wear anything Carolina. Not even in the commercials she has done on TV.
Are you curious too?
She can wear a pink tutu as long as she cutting nets

I kind of like that she has her own style and pays homage to team of her liking! She has earned the right to wear whatever she wants and I think its great