Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eating healthy

Catdaddy66

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
My cardiologist wanted me to get an air fryer.  Worked so well I now have two, a basket and an oven style.

My cardiologist wanted me to get an air fryer.  Worked so well I now have two, a basket and an oven style.
Debated on whether to get an air fryer or an Instapot this year... Looks like the air fryer will be for my birthday in March.

I try not to get caught up in too much of the fad type diet stuff.  I always learned variation and moderation are the key to a healthy diet.  I have tried to watch what I eat an only eat fast food occasionally now.  One item I bought which has been great was a steamer.  You can throw vegetables in that thing set a little timer and walk away.  Makes it very easy to fix something healthy as a side without a lot of trouble.  We will season with some garlic powder or garlic salt as they steam.  I have not invested in the instapot yet, but have been looking at them, I do have a crock pot, but don't use it near enough.  My grill gets worked out with boneless chicken breast at least once a week and I will take that and add it to salads etc.  

Look for deals.  I just bought an Instant Pot Amazon warehouse deal for $25. There will be tons of sales post holiday.  I am in several good FB IP and AF groups.  Let me know if you need info. I have both a 3qt and an 8qt IP. A 6qt is big enough for most but I like being able to do whole chickens and full racks of ribs.  I have both a basket style AF and an oven style. The basket is great for fries and other such that just needs to be shaken.  The oven one is an AF/convection/toaster/rotisserie unit that is good for things that need to be turned.  

Look for deals.  I just bought an Instant Pot Amazon warehouse deal for $25. There will be tons of sales post holiday.  I am in several good FB IP and AF groups.  Let me know if you need info. I have both a 3qt and an 8qt IP. A 6qt is big enough for most but I like being able to do whole chickens and full racks of ribs.  I have both a basket style AF and an oven style. The basket is great for fries and other such that just needs to be shaken.  The oven one is an AF/convection/toaster/rotisserie unit that is good for things that need to be turned.  
Yancey if you see a good deal on a 6qt IP, please post.  I've been looking for one -- was originally thinking 3qt since it's just my wife and I, but I've been told to go bigger rather than smaller and I won't regret it.

Furman,  agree with that advice.  I'll be using my 3qt today to make Hungarian mushroom soup.  It is good for that.  You have to remember that half of the space must be left empty to allow for steam formation.  Here is the FB group where the Amazon warehouse guy posts  deals: https://www.facebook.com/groups/647818569038574/

Debated on whether to get an air fryer or an Instapot this year... Looks like the air fryer will be for my birthday in March.
Using my "Instapot" (or a reasonable facsimile) for the first time today. Using the slow cooker mode over 6 hours to make a creamy chicken and rice dish with vegetables. I will add some chicken stock and the rice in the final hour. 

I'm as excited as a little girl! Lol

I'm not ripping on the Keto diet as I have had success with similar diets (aka the Atkins Diet) in the early 2000's, but this article hits on a few good points. Mainly it's the dearth of scientific evidence on the long term effectiveness and sustainability of these restrictive plans. Personally I dropped 60#'s over 6 months, which works out to 10#/month. This is gradual and not as shocking to the system. I felt great although had the general malaise for a couple of weeks waiting on ketosis to manifest.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEOdi6WFr42zX2eVsUK5cOioqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowocv1CjCSptoCMPrTpgU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Anyway, it may stimulate some good discussion about being healthier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am kind of in the same mindset as you Catdaddy.  I think it is an overall change in lifestyle and eating healthier and that can certainly include watching your carb intake, but not getting rid of them all together.  I've lost 10 in the last month and watched my portions over Christmas and kept it off.  I've mixed portion control in with come cardio and weightlifting and now I will start chipping away at another 10 and will be happy if I can get that in the next month or so, but not in a big hurry as long as I know the trajectory on my weight is in a downward direction.  I see some guys and they are eating meats like crazy.  Slamming down multiple hamburger patties without the bun etc and I just can't see how that is good for you either.       

My opinion - fad diets never work. At least not long term. Sure they can get results short term. But long term they all fail when people get off the wagon

Atkins, South Beach, grape fruit, Keto, paleo, gluten free, etc.

Eat healthy and watch your portion size. Combine with regular exercise at least 3 times a week.

Cut back on the junk. fast food, sodas (including diet), chips, sugary deserts... These thing are fine every now and then. But should be an occasional thing, rather then a daily / weekly habit.

There are a variety of diets that will result in weight loss; however, may not be nutritionally sound.  You may lose some weight on these diets (questionable sustainability), but harm your health in other ways.  At the end of the day, it's calories consumed minus calories expended...so you might as well do it in a nutritionally sound manner.  At the end of the day, who wants to drop some weight only to damage their heart or their kidneys?

I use the 'myfitnesspal' app to track calories. Used it for several months last year with good results and restarting for the new year. I find that simply tracking calories makes me tend to eat less because I am more aware of what I am eating. Rather then mindlessly muchin away on whatever snacks. 

I use the 'myfitnesspal' app to track calories. Used it for several months last year with good results and restarting for the new year. I find that simply tracking calories makes me tend to eat less because I am more aware of what I am eating. Rather then mindlessly muchin away on whatever snacks. 
that is pretty much how weight watchers works and I think it is a great plan especially if you can control portion size

My diet over the holidays was worthless but on whole I try to limit my meat intake to fins and feathers and only do other meats if served to me at someones home.  I try to decrease my intake of wheat when possible (though I must admit that beer is my achilles heal in this endeavor).  I have done restrictive diets and they certainly work well but I struggle big time with staying on them after some period of time.  I think that detox diets are ok for what they are but eventually most regress to where they were. 

Tastylicks said:
we tried it. it worked out amazingly for Mr. Licks, I couldn't believe it. It was like his body was made for that diet. But it killed me, I was so sleepy. I figured if you are on a diet that makes you way too weak to exercise, it is kinda pointless.

plus, I'm Italian and love my pastas and breads anyway. maybe that was the biggest thing, idk
Great to see you posting! It's like we're getting the cockytalk gang back together...