Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite Horror Movies

LBC

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
I have been a horror movie fan since I was a kid and have seen most of the ones we all have....not to mention a ton of bizarre and grotesque nightmares no one probably should have seen. That being said, I recently watched two or three of the strangest and/or most effecting horror movies I have seen in my life over the last three weeks so as I started to re-rank my own list of all timers I got curious as to what do other people like from their 'Horror'...so here's your chance...What are your 'current' favorite 'horror' movies?

1. Hereditary...The single most grief stricken, state of shock inducing, storm of dysfunction I have ever seen/felt while watching a movie...never experienced anything quit like this one...ever

2. Let The Right One In...Swedish version is an absolute masterpiece 

3. 28 Days Later...invention of the fast 'zombie'...Early scenes of an empty London are incredible film making 

4. Goodnight Mommy...Austrian twins dealing with loss and plastic surgery collide in what goes from 'What is going on?' to 'Please make it stop!'

5. Midsommar...more of a bad mushroom trip inside an IKEA store during a pagan ritual than 'horror' but what a wild ride

Not my favorite genre. but Nightmare on Elm Street got to me in high school and then Hostel did like 10 years later. If those even qualify. 

The Exorcist, The Shining, Psycho, Silence of the lambs, Halloween, Poltergeist, Friday the 13th

Not my favorite genre. but Nightmare on Elm Street got to me in high school and then Hostel did like 10 years later. If those even qualify. 
"Nightmare on Elm Street" was a visually stunning film that genuinely scared me as well as any! 

"Night of the Living Dead" was a seminal film also. I felt like I was watching a period documentary of some truly frightening situations.

"The Thing from Another World" and its remake "The Thing" I saw at different times, at 12 years old for the former and 17 for the latter. Both eye opening visuals, and as I look back, a comedy and a tragedy, respectively.

The very first Nightmare on Elm St. is a masterpiece of cinema horror. As far as I'm concerned, that is the gold standard. The others were fun for their own reasons, and I enjoy them for that, but the first hits it out of the park. 

Friday the 13th was good just for the creative kills, but other than that, there wasn't a heck of a lot of substance.

I never got the appeal of the Halloween movies. Maybe they're good? I dunno.

The very first Saw was really good. After that, things went off the rails way too quickly.

These days I think the paranormal style of horror no longer works. What I think would be a good thing to do is to play up on the real events we see today. Take Freddy for instance. His backstory is that of a child predator who eventually gets away with his crimes due to some technicality. That would be a good premise that would work today.

Imo, horror is a genre in which there are so many films but very few that are exceptional. It is arguably littered with thousands of poorly done examples cashing on with the audience's willingness to sit thru crap AND pay for the privilage! 

The same could be said of the martial arts and comedy styles slso.

I have been a horror movie fan since I was a kid and have seen most of the ones we all have....not to mention a ton of bizarre and grotesque nightmares no one probably should have seen. That being said, I recently watched two or three of the strangest and/or most effecting horror movies I have seen in my life over the last three weeks so as I started to re-rank my own list of all timers I got curious as to what do other people like from their 'Horror'...so here's your chance...What are your 'current' favorite 'horror' movies?

1. Hereditary...The single most grief stricken, state of shock inducing, storm of dysfunction I have ever seen/felt while watching a movie...never experienced anything quit like this one...ever

2. Let The Right One In...Swedish version is an absolute masterpiece 

3. 28 Days Later...invention of the fast 'zombie'...Early scenes of an empty London are incredible film making 

4. Goodnight Mommy...Austrian twins dealing with loss and plastic surgery collide in what goes from 'What is going on?' to 'Please make it stop!'

5. Midsommar...more of a bad mushroom trip inside an IKEA store during a pagan ritual than 'horror' but what a wild ride
I wanna see these just based on your descriptions 

I wanna see these just based on your descriptions 
I will enthusiastically recommend 28 Days Later and Let the Right One In!

28 Weeks Later was a worthy sequel and has a pretty big cast for a change. There is an American adaptation of the second film called Let Me In, which stars Chloe Grace Moritz and is worthy as well, but neither measure up to the originals imo.

I will enthusiastically recommend 28 Days Later and Let the Right One In!

28 Weeks Later was a worthy sequel and has a pretty big cast for a change. There is an American adaptation of the second film called Let Me In, which stars Chloe Grace Moritz and is worthy as well, but neither measure up to the originals imo.
Thanks for input. I have seen 28 days later and definitely enjoyed it, will be checking those others out

The first Paranormal Activity scared the hell out of me, as did The Blair Witch Project.Those movies oozed dread.

Not sure if some of these qualify as horror, but enjoyed them.  

Cujo

The Lost Boys 

The Shining

Silver Bullet

The Exorcist, The Shining, Psycho, Silence of the lambs, Halloween, Poltergeist, Friday the 13th
I can agree with these, except I don't consider Silence of the Lambs a horror movie.  A wonderfully, suspenseful drama -yes.  A horror film - no. 

I would add Rosemary's Baby to this list.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The first Paranormal Activity scared the hell out of me, as did The Blair Witch Project.Those movies oozed dread.
I'm a sucker for the 'found footage' genre of horror movie like Paranormal Activity and TBWP. Like anything there are good ones and bad ones...and terrible ones...but once I know its a FF film I will watch it. The gimmick simply works for me...on some level...every time

I highly recommend a Spanish one called 'REC'...it was remade in the US under the title 'Quarantine' but the American version is terrible...there is something about the original being in Spanish with sub-titles that really feels like your watching something...real...ish

I also really enjoyed the Norwegian film 'Trollhunter'...again...almost exclusively for the 'found footage' approach...but it is a fun watch.

I had a couple of relatives who were terrified by Blair Witch.  I didn't get it.  It bored the crap out of me, and made me slightly queasy with the camera jumping around.  I love the suspense of wondering what is going to happen, and I kept waiting, and nothing ever happened.  I am going to check out some of the ones mentioned by LBC, and others.  So far, the best one that has been mentioned, that I really liked was SAW.  I guess I don't scare easily.  One of the other things that I don't like, and it is becoming much more prevalent in movies, is gratuitous foul language.  I'm not a prude, and it doesn't shock me, I just find it stupid.  If somebody drops the F-bomb as often as they do in some movies, I'd have to question their intelligence.

Funny this review just dropped today. I might have to check it out.

1 hour ago, cocky0 said:

Funny this review just dropped today. I might have to check it out.

I'm telling you dude...this is next level stuff...this is the single scariest/disturbing/shock inducing horror movie I have ever seen. For me...there is this...and everything else. This makes 'The Shining' feel almost quaint...'It' like an episode of 'Friends'

When guys who have a horror movie review show tell you it 'fucked them up'...'It gave them nightmares' and its the 'scariest movie they have ever seen'...believe them.

This isn't about jump scares or evil clowns...this is about real, dark, dysfunctional shit first...and then it becomes a 'horror' movie.