Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five Star Offence Linemen

Hoganman1

Fanatics Cash
Merry Christmas Everyone! While I'm waiting on our six grandkids to decend on us like blitzing linebackers, I have a question. Have the Cocks ever had a five star offensive lineman? Surely, we've had a few. However, I cannot name one. Like a lot of you I believe building an SEC caliber offensive line is the key to future success. It's not as sexy as getting highly rated skill players, but it's how Bama dominates so frequently in our conference. I've heard back in the 50s and 60s Bear Bryant would recruit high school quarterbacks, beef them up and make guards and tackles out of them. Of course that doesn't work now that we have mostly 300+ pound linemen. Still I'm sure there are some amazingly gifted big guys out there. We just need to find them and convince them to come to South Carolina. Your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can safely  say no Gamecocks have not.

As an ex qb, I can assure you that having a good o-line is paramount.  Lee Courso had a small running back that had a 1000 yard rushing season and lee was asked how such a small runner could do that, he answered "my o-lone opens small holes"  In order to have a successful offense you need first class linemen.

Arent 5 star OL like a needle in a haystack? I always thought there was so few because it’s such a hard position to grade out through high school.

I guess it is hard to rate high school offence linemen. You never see stats for "successful blocks". Defensive linemen have sacks, hurries and turnovers to showcase their talents. I played both ways back in high school in the late sixties and the only praise I got as a blocker was from our quarterback. I was fortunate enough to make all-conference as a defensive tackle because I had a lot of sacks.  Hopefully, the Cocks can find some good O linemen from high school or the portal going forward because we'll need them to get the best out of Rattler.