Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frank adds Will Bailey and Brian Steele to his UMass staff

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash

B21_Assistant_Coach_Press_Release.jpg

Good on 'em.

B21_Assistant_Coach_Press_Release.jpg

Good on 'em.
Both guys are quality assistant coaches. Steele has a big future ahead of him if he keeps things up the way he has been doing. Great recruiter, and great on-the-floor coach. Kids seem to relate well to him, and he to them.

Both guys are quality assistant coaches. Steele has a big future ahead of him if he keeps things up the way he has been doing. Great recruiter, and great on-the-floor coach. Kids seem to relate well to him, and he to them.
Frank has a pretty decent coaching tree if you think about it.

Brad Underwood worked for Huggins and then Frank at KState.

Then Matt Figger's done pretty well for himself after leaving to be HC at Austin Peay after the FF run. He left for UT Rio Grande Valley at the end of the 2020 season.

I believe us losing Fig was one of the other reasons we were disappointing in the years after the FF run.

Regueira joins the Minutemen after 24 years with the Miami Police Department, where he oversaw training of all new recruits and operationals.

"Tony becomes one of the few strength and conditioning coaches who was also a Division I basketball player," said Martin. "He has been preparing for this opportunity for the last five or six years after being a longtime high school basketball coach and police officer in the City of Miami. Tony will bring a tremendous amount of enthusiasm and discipline to the job along with tremendous basketball knowledge."
B21_Welcome_Assistant_Coach_Tony_Regueira_Twitter.jpg

Undoubtedly someone Frank knows from Miami over the years.

Does that mean Scott Greenawalt is remaining as our S&C coach?

They're going to soon find out how "squeaky clean" his mouth is! (Wishing him the best at UMass, though!)
I believe he will have limited success with recruiting in his first year just like Lamont will have here, but his substantial NCAAT coaching experience may offset that to a good degree.

He got high-level opportunities at KState and here, but he also experienced the stress of trying to maintain success at that level, too.

The mid-major position may end up suiting him a lot better in the long run. He has the NCAAT experience, but convincing kids to come play at a lesser school like UMass may be an early challenge for him until he gets to the NCAAT at UMass.

I think he will be adequately compensated financially while being able to enjoy coaching once again like he did his last year here.

He could get one or two deep NCAAT runs and maybe just kick back and do TV for a while, too.

Both he and Lamont will do well this coming season, so I am going to pay attention to both programs. A couple of journalists still have a good relationship with him online as well.

Lamont has not had the visibility with journalists that Frank has, but I think his former Wisconsin players may bring some media hype into the program as we get into December and the wins start to happen.

I believe he will have limited success with recruiting in his first year just like Lamont will have here, but his substantial NCAAT coaching experience may offset that to a good degree.

He got high-level opportunities at KState and here, but he also experienced the stress of trying to maintain success at that level, too.

The mid-major position may end up suiting him a lot better in the long run. He has the NCAAT experience, but convincing kids to come play at a lesser school like UMass may be an early challenge for him until he gets to the NCAAT at UMass.

I think he will be adequately compensated financially while being able to enjoy coaching once again like he did his last year here.

He could get one or two deep NCAAT runs and maybe just kick back and do TV for a while, too.

Both he and Lamont will do well this coming season, so I am going to pay attention to both programs. A couple of journalists still have a good relationship with him online as well.

Lamont has not had the visibility with journalists that Frank has, but I think his former Wisconsin players may bring some media hype into the program as we get into December and the wins start to happen.
It will be interesting to see how the new look Gamecocks play come October/November. Right now we seem like the team from the Island of Misfit Toys... a bunch of really interesting pieces, but they all have small parts of their game missing or don't look like they are a natural fit. I'm truly intrigued by what the portal has brought Coach Paris' way. There are some REALLY great players, but how they measure up in the SEC is a huge question mark for me.

I almost wish we could have grabbed two former players who just never gelled with Coach Martin's style of play - Felipe Haase and Trae Hannibal (though Hannibal has committed to LSU).

I'm hopeful, as you are, for a very successful first campaign as head coach for Coach Lamont Paris and his staff.

I was kind of hoping we would have gotten DJ Burns from Winthrop in the portal. He still lacks some on the defensive end, but he would be the most skilled post we would have had in a long while. I don't know if we were in the mix for him again, but he's going to NC State.

It will be interesting to see how the new look Gamecocks play come October/November. Right now we seem like the team from the Island of Misfit Toys... a bunch of really interesting pieces, but they all have small parts of their game missing or don't look like they are a natural fit. I'm truly intrigued by what the portal has brought Coach Paris' way. There are some REALLY great players, but how they measure up in the SEC is a huge question mark for me.

I almost wish we could have grabbed two former players who just never gelled with Coach Martin's style of play - Felipe Haase and Trae Hannibal (though Hannibal has committed to LSU).

I'm hopeful, as you are, for a very successful first campaign as head coach for Coach Lamont Paris and his staff.
The trend I have noticed the past several years is that once we got into the meat of an SEC schedule, you quickly find out why the guys that transferred in were not starters on their last team.

I also think the bottom 2/3 of the SEC has the same problems we do. Rick Barnes learned from Frank's example of playing better defense during our FF run and ended up using that lesson to create the dominance for UT that I expected Frank to give us during the same time. Instead we ended up being the Tail-end Charlie that could never be selected for either NCAAT or NIT during the same period.

I am hopeful for next season, at least until the second half of league play when we see opponents for a second time.

Initially Stevenson and Couisnard both seemed to leave because of loyalty to Frank, but there was no room for either at UMass. I think Lamont would have been happy if either had changed their mind and decided to stay. It makes you think they both wanted to go to a conference that they could be more successful in and they just used Frank getting fired as an excuse to find greener pastures.

We should do okay this season, but part of me thinks we may end up being just a "good SoCon team" until Lamont can get some recruiting traction in his second year.

We are rebuilding and it is going to be a while before we are good, no matter how good a coach, Coach Paris is he can't win without talent and he just will not have enough to close out games I'm afraid. I hope he gets time but attitudes like our fans calling UMASS a lesser school but then you look at the history of UMass basketball and our basketball and realize that they have as much or more and our final four coach...
Thank goodness the great coaches like coach K don't have sailor mouths... what an idiotic statement in my opinion! I'll save the I you told you so another day...