Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frank burns us to the ground on 107.5.

TheYancey

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
He is quite bitter. Said when he left K-State, he told the players to stay at K-State and finish what they started. They won the Big 12 the year after he left. He said here, he won't tell them to stay. He'll tell them to "do what's best for them." Said that players came because of him, not because of USC. Heath just mentioned how presidents leave letters of advice in the oval office for their successor to read. He asked what Frank's letter would say if he left one, and he said "Good luck."

No doubt his antics have hindered our coaching search. I was not a "Fire Frank" guy but I am now glad that he is gone

He is quite bitter. Said when he left K-State, he told the players to stay at K-State and finish what they started. They won the Big 12 the year after he left. He said here, he won't tell them to stay. He'll tell them to "do what's best for them." Said that players came because of him, not because of USC. Heath just mentioned how presidents leave letters of advice in the oval office for their successor to read. He asked what Frank's letter would say if he left one, and he said "Good luck."

No doubt his antics have hindered our coaching search. I was not a "Fire Frank" guy but I am now glad that he is gone
Here’s the audio…

Thanks, doublea. Will not miss Frank.

I didn’t think he was as harsh as perhaps @TheYancey felt he was. Sounded to me that if there were any sour grapes, it was toward former President Caslen and perhaps Ray Tanner.

Like it or not, Coach Martin is right. He had the best stretch of USC basketball since the 1970’s. His record in the SEC was heads and shoulders above what guys like Dave Odom and even Eddie Fogler put together. He simply (in his own words) “didn’t win ENOUGH”.

I, speaking for myself, WILL miss Coach Frank Martin. Good man, great coach. Legacy is he couldn’t sustain the level he set for himself. The bar was so high, he had his work cut out for him. Thank you Coach Martin. But now… next man up.

I didn’t think he was as harsh as perhaps @TheYancey felt he was. Sounded to me that if there were any sour grapes, it was toward former President Caslen and perhaps Ray Tanner.

Like it or not, Coach Martin is right. He had the best stretch of USC basketball since the 1970’s. His record in the SEC was heads and shoulders above what guys like Dave Odom and even Eddie Fogler put together. He simply (in his own words) “didn’t win ENOUGH”.

I, speaking for myself, WILL miss Coach Frank Martin. Good man, great coach. Legacy is he couldn’t sustain the level he set for himself. The bar was so high, he had his work cut out for him. Thank you Coach Martin. But now… next man up.
I heard it as well and thought he was whining. We (and Frank) can talk about his "success" all we want. He went to the post season ONCE in 10 seasons. His conference record was way under .500

He was making over 3 million a year. He was correct about 1 thing, he didn't win enough. I was very disappointed with his interview and I was a big FM supporter.

You no I never really cared one way or another regarding Frank, but I now wish him nothing but all of the worst luck going forward.

Interview anyone in any profession a week after they have been fired from their job and you will hear comments similar to Frank's about whatever.

I thought Frank was re-energized about coaching and had rebounded pretty good this season and felt he needed another another season to turn it around.

The home crowd and the team fed off of each other.

The interview seemed to more about two colleagues and friends who cared about each other more than anything else and I thought Heath did a great job of respecting Frank's feelings.

So, I am neutral about the interview. Frank is a diamond-in-the-rough who will do very well under the right AD.

Interview anyone in any profession a week after they have been fired from their job and you will hear comments similar to Frank's about whatever.

I thought Frank was re-energized about coaching and had rebounded pretty good this season and felt he needed another another season to turn it around.

The home crowd and the team fed off of each other.

The interview seemed to more about two colleagues and friends who cared about each other more than anything else and I thought Heath did a great job of respecting Frank's feelings.

So, I am neutral about the interview. Frank is a diamond-in-the-rough who will do very well under the right AD.
I agree that doing an interview a week after being fired (for anyone) is going to bring out some raw feelings.

The number of programs lining up to sign him as their coach tells me all I need to know. I think he will do great on the tournament shows and could really see him being a great television guy for game broadcast as well.

I heard it as well and thought he was whining. We (and Frank) can talk about his "success" all we want. He went to the post season ONCE in 10 seasons. His conference record was way under .500

He was making over 3 million a year. He was correct about 1 thing, he didn't win enough. I was very disappointed with his interview and I was a big FM supporter.
@Blitzkrieg… I just want to comment here on the perception that Coach Martin’s SEC record was terrible. IDK if you have thought about this or not, but Martin was 77-99 in the SEC.

Here’s how he stacks up against every other coach we have had since joining the SEC:

- Eddie Fogler (57-71 in 8 seasons. That’s a .445 winning percentage)
- Dave Odom (41-71 in 7 seasons. That’s a .366 winning percentage)
- He who shall not be named (23-41 in 4 seasons. That’s a .359 winning percentage).

Fogler and Martin had almost identical records their first 3 years (really their first 5 years). Frank Martin took us to the heights of the NCAAs and an NIT. Fogler had an NIT followed by 2 NCAA first round (shocking) losses and one more NIT. Can you see the strange similarities? Why then is Eddie Fogler revered, and Frank Martin reviled? Martin dragged this program back from a full decade of decline and made us a team to contend with in the league.

I just find it sad that there’s so much negative attitude about the man (and I’m not accusing YOU of that, just speaking in general). Frank Martin was a great coach and a great mentor to LOTS of young men both here and at K-State. I think it’s important to recognize that he did A TON of good work in the league and wish him nothing but the best in future endeavors.

@Blitzkrieg… I just want to comment here on the perception that Coach Martin’s SEC record was terrible. IDK if you have thought about this or not, but Martin was 77-99 in the SEC.

Here’s how he stacks up against every other coach we have had since joining the SEC:

- He who shall not be named (23-41 in 4 seasons. That’s a .359 winning percentage).

Fogler and Martin had almost identical records their first 3 years (really their first 5 years). Frank Martin took us to the heights of the NCAAs and an NIT. Fogler had an NIT followed by 2 NCAA first round (shocking) losses and one more NIT. Can you see the strange similarities? Why then is Eddie Fogler revered, and Frank Martin reviled? Martin dragged this program back from a full decade of decline and made us a team to contend with in the league.

I just find it sad that there’s so much negative attitude about the man (and I’m not accusing YOU of that, just speaking in general). Frank Martin was a great coach and a great mentor to LOTS of young men both here and at K-State. I think it’s important to recognize that he did A TON of good work in the league and wish him nothing but the best in future endeavors.
Would you rather have Frank Martin or Paris since you helped Martin out the door? If you were Furman would you be making a call to Coach Martin?

Would you rather have Frank Martin or Paris since you helped Martin out the door? If you were Furman would you be making a call to Coach Martin?
@GMB2USC23 … I’m just going to leave that comment to you to make your own judgement upon. You’ve got some crazy bone to pick with me, like I’m Ray Tanner or something. I don’t get it, especially since I just defended Frank Martin, but whatever…

I was a FM supporter right up to the end. I get what you're saying but again he had 1 NCAA appearance in 10 seasons. He also had a terrible record against a very mediocre tater program.

His roster turnover rate was terrible. Many of his teams had trouble scoring which is the name of the game. I believe it was simply time to go in another direction because I don't see why next year would have been any different.

I'm guessing you mean UT Chattanooga? Furman doesn't have an opening. And neither school will be offering $3m/year for a basketball coach any time soon.

I didn't listen to the interview, but get why people may be angry and bitter after being fired. Especially a very public job. Frank's record was decent compared to other coaches. Maybe he needed better assistants and recruiting skills. Maybe recruiting basketball talent to SC is not easy - it's not like we have been very good in the last 40 or so years. And we play in a geographical area with decent basketball schools, which I am sure makes it harder to get top notch talent.

I respect Frank and I think he truly cared about his players. He really did need more wins though and to build off the Final Four run. We always lost too many early season games and even some conference games that we should have won. I don't know the stats, but it seems the last few years our shooting was bad or inconsistent. One game we light it up, the next game is brick city. Not really sure why. I wish him good luck because he gave his all here and I feel wishing bad on people is just wrong / bad karma. If he had screwed us over, different story.

I hope the new coach can energize the program with recruiting and transfer portal. Don't really know much about him.

He was always a d!ck. This was the real Frank Martin.

Theres nothing for him to be upset about, we gave him 10 years and a lot of money, and he gave us 1 postseason. He should be thankful and appreciative as that is being more than patient. Alumni don't get that kind of leash.

also any coach that says players chose the school only because of him, is not the coach you want, ever. For 2 reasons, 1 its an outdated philosophy in recruitment that doesn't work anymore and 2 its clearly shows he doesn't care about his employer or the kids themselves, just himself.

good riddance finally