Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frank Martin and UMass set to compete in this year's Myrtle Beach Invitational Tournament this Thursday

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash

MB2022-Tickets-on-Sale-Now-1.png

UMass will play either Murray State or Texas A&M in the Game 2. Loyola Chicago is in one of the other quarterfinals brackets.

Should be a good side-by-side comparison for new and old Gamecock MBB coaches this week.

Last edited:
UMass defeated AIC 94-68 in their exhibition game.

The next game saw the Minutemen defeat Central Connecticut State 94-67 in their regular season home-opener only to fall 67-55 to Towson in their second home game of the regular season. At one point UMass trailed Towson by 19 points with 15 minutes left in the second half of that game.

So UMass is 1-1 coming into the MBI tournament this week.

Former Gamecocks Wildens Leveque and Brandon Martin have gotten good minutes in the first games of the season.

Leveque_Wildens.jpg

Martin_Brandon.jpg

Former Gamecock Ta'Quan Woodley is listed on the roster but has not been in the line-ups of the Minutemen's first 3 games.

Woodley_TaQuan.jpg

Last edited:
Martin also brings several former Gamecock assistant coaches with him to the MBI.

Doug Edwards was hired as the Director of Player Personnel and Special Assistant to the Head Coach in May of 2022. Edwards joined Frank Martin’s staff after spending nine years at South Carolina as the Director of Student-Athlete Development following time in the same role under Martin at Kansas State.

Edwards_Doug.jpg

Brian Steele was hired as an assistant coach at UMass in April of 2022 after spending time on head coach Frank Martin’s staff at South Carolina. Steele served as the team’s video coordinator for the 2020-21 season following time as a player for the Gamecocks.

The Greenville, S.C. native was an assistant coach for two years prior at Queens University in Charlotte, where he helped guide the Royals to a NCAA DII Elite Eight appearance in the 2018-19 season. Steele signed the highest ranked recruit in Queens history in three-star guard Justin Thomas and helped coach the Royals to a top 25 finish in both major national polls for a fifth-straight season in 2019-20.

Steele was a three-year letter winner at South Carolina as a student-athlete and served as a student assistant during the 2015-16 season in addition to the 2016-17 Final Four campaign. Steele was a three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll member and earned his degree in sport and entertainment management in 2016. During his prep career at Wade Hampton High School, Steele earned all-state, all-region, and all-county honors and helped his squad earn a state championship during his junior season.

Steele_Brian.jpg

John Martin was hired as the Men's Basketball Director of Scouting and Video Operations in June of 2022. Martin came to Amherst after working as a a student manager under Frank Martin during his undergraduate studies at South Carolina.

Martin_John.jpg

Then, of course, Frank.

Martin_Frank.jpg

UMass defeats Colorado 66-63 in the first quarterfinal game with 35 points from the bench.

12T
COLO342963
MASS372966

UMass will play Murray State in the semi-finals Friday after Murray State upset #24 TAMU 88-79 earlier today.

Trailing Murray State 69-68, UMass's Noah Fernandez gets the inbound pass with 7 seconds left in the game and drives downcourt to hit the game-winning 3-pointer to give UMass a thrilling 71-69 win over Murray State.

View: https://twitter.com/MyrtleInvite/status/1593726696821227521

The Minutemen will now face the winner of Tulsa/Charlotte tonight in the tournament championship game Sunday at 1:00 pm.

Looks a lot like Chico's game-winner against Clemson.

Frank came to take it.

I'm completely flabbergasted, you mean he can still coach and no one has run him off for staring at players yet... weird!!!

UMass is on a 5-game winning streak that includes winning the MBI tournament championship earlier. Leveque with a double-double in the win over USF.

At 6-1, Frank has UMass off to its best start since the 2013-14 season.

UMass is on a 5-game winning streak that includes winning the MBI tournament championship earlier. Leveque with a double-double in the win over USF.

At 6-1, Frank has UMass off to its best start since the 2013-14 season.
Glad we fired our winningest basketball coach... The same folks wanted Satt fired and Tanner 🤪 but what better way to feel like part of a program than getting someone fired, no matter how much success they have, you know you are a real fan when you don't accept mediocrity anymore 🙄 and you can tell the coaching staff how to do its job, the sitting in a circle holding hands singing Koombaya is working well for us, thank goodness we don't have a coach that gets angry with his players... Our fans have run off Fogler, Odom and now Martin, I hope Coach Paris is allowed more latitude, though by the crowds at Colonial I don't see it happening. We couldn't show up for the top rated recruit in the country after running off Frank....

Glad he found a spot he can win those early season games he always lost here. Maybe he will make the tournament more than once in the next decade for them as well. Easier conference so I would think he can. Hope it does not come down to free-throws lol. I still cannot believe our terrible fan base ran off Sparky Woods, I mean c'mon man.

Last edited:
Glad he found a spot he can win those early season games he always lost here. Maybe he will make the tournament more than once in the next decade for them as well. Easier conference so I would think he can. Hope it does not come down to free-throws lol. I still cannot believe our terrible fan base ran off Sparky Woods, I mean c'mon man.
We have an awesome fan base and Sparky should have never been hired, King Dixon hired him after going 6-4-1 at App St and his best record here was 6-5 so he should have been run off, he was in over his head!
Yeah because no great coach loses those type of games, not even the #1 team in the country... we made a mistake, trust me!